[COMPLETE][DR]Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

crystalpenny wrote: March 4th, 2024, 2:17 amThanks, Sonia :) . I'm normally a 2nd soprano (though as I age, getting closer to alto), so forcing my voice down into a tenor range is not sustainable at all, but for this short song it was manageable. When I played it for my husband, I asked him, "do I sound totally ridiculous trying to sound "male" ?" He really laughed while listening to it, but assured me that to someone who doesn't know it's me it sounded like a men's glee. Happy to know he was right because to me it still sounds like me.
yes indeed I can confirm, I would have said it's somebody completely different. I'm baffled :lol:

Sonia
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

The reason why I didn’t color code the song for the cousins to sing is because I wasn’t sure how great it would be to have multiple voices edited together. There would also be a risk of people singing faster, slower, out of tune, etc. Plus, we’d have to make up a tune for everyone to learn, and I didn’t think it was worth the trouble. I decided that to make things simpler, Carolyn would make up her own tune and sing it by herself in a solo…

I’ve listened to the song just now and, wow, you’ve done a fantastic job, Carolyn! Honestly, I would never have guessed it’s you! It sounds professional and… very manly. This raises some questions, though. How did you do it? Is this your raw, unedited “deep” voice, or did you edit it in any way?
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
crystalpenny

Post by crystalpenny »

DariaAM wrote: March 4th, 2024, 5:43 pm The reason why I didn’t color code the song for the cousins to sing is because I wasn’t sure how great it would be to have multiple voices edited together. There would also be a risk of people singing faster, slower, out of tune, etc. Plus, we’d have to make up a tune for everyone to learn, and I didn’t think it was worth the trouble. I decided that to make things simpler, Carolyn would make up her own tune and sing it by herself in a solo…

I’ve listened to the song just now and, wow, you’ve done a fantastic job, Carolyn! Honestly, I would never have guessed it’s you! It sounds professional and… very manly. This raises some questions, though. How did you do it? Is this your raw, unedited “deep” voice, or did you edit it in any way?
Here's what I did:

1) I made up an easy to sing tune. I liked one of the tunes another reader used, but I thought it would be too hard for me to sing and I wasn't sure she'd appreciate it if I "stole" her tune. 
2) I practiced playing my easy melody on the piano in the lowest range I could sing. Thankfully the song is very short. 
3) I set the switch on my mic to use the -10dB pad, which "lowers the level of an incoming signal before it reaches the rest of the circuitry. If you are recording something very loud and the signal is overpowering your recorder, you would select the -10 dB pad to lower the volume of the microphone to make the input signal more manageable." 
4) I positioned the microphone in front of an electronic piano and plugged in headphones (so there is no ambient sound in the room)
5) I turned on the metronome to a comfortable pace with only the light flashing (no ambient sound in the room)
6) I positioned my mouth very close to the pop filter and, here's the key --- for me to get that "manly" effect I have to project very, very boldly (no wimpy singing) into the mic (hence the -10 dB pad switch) and with one's larynx pushed low (I think that's the correct terminology for what I was doing with my throat). The combination of those three features, a) close and very bold b) larynx low c) -10 dB switch engaged really seems to change the timbre of the voice. I don't know which one of the three was the dominant variable to produce the sound I was hoping for but you have heard the result.
7) So... then I sang -- with the metronome on so that I kept the same tempo for each "take"... and at the same time I played the tune on the piano through the headphones, so I stayed on pitch throughout (more or less). 
8) I sang it through quite a few times (throat lozenges helpful here) Since I can't sing exactly the same way each time (breathing, pitch, rhythms vary slightly) that was a good thing, because I wanted it to sound like several different voices not just one. 
9) then I put each take on a separate track, matching the starts of each (no other syncing was req'd because of my set-up) and played around with which of the takes sounded best together, like happy, silly boys in a boat - that is, together in unison but not too together.
10) I ended up choosing 4 of the "takes" to overlay/meld for the final mp3. More than 4 sounded too messy to me. Fewer than 4 sounded too thin to me.

So that's how I did it. Nothing magic.

PS I also think (and thought) that trying to "orchestrate" and then sync/edit a meld of the voices of several different people, cast members or others, for something this long has too many pitfalls, as Daria outlined - whether it's sung or even just read. I was thinking that this solo attempt at a "chorus of me" had the potential to produce a cheerful ending to the chapter in a doable way - beyond just reading the poem which, when listening to other readers end the chapter in that way, seemed lifeless to me.  I was trying to create the illusion of the boys rowing their boat and singing joyfully.

But, if you don't like the way this sounds, then there is one doable possibility that I think could fit.  Ask Uncle Alec to read it (or sing it using a tune of his choice; mine, his or someone else's). Afterall, he's at least in a boat, the other boat hearing it, he's absolutely central to the story and Beeswaxcandle has a marvelous voice. I doubt his reading would ever sound lifeless. Just my two cents.
~carolyn
crystalpenny

Post by crystalpenny »

Hey - I just had another idea that I think is doable and might be really cool. Suppose you scrub my recording entirely, but instead use it as a tool to create a new recording. That is, you ask 4 male cast members to sing-a-along with my recording? Then everyone would be pitched correctly and in sync.  While audacity can theoretically play sound and record sound at the same time (see below) I have found it very unreliable. Plan B would be to play my recording through earbuds off a separate device, a phone, say, while each singer records into audacity their usual way.  What do you think? It would be easy to meld and could sound really interesting. Or maybe not... 

*Audacity can play and record music at the same time. To enable software play through in Audacity, you need to launch the application and change your recording preferences by clicking Edit. Check the box that says Listen while recording or monitoring new tracks and click OK to save your settings. You can then record and listen to the same thing at the same time.
~carolyn
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DariaAM wrote: March 4th, 2024, 5:43 pmThe reason why I didn’t color code the song for the cousins to sing is because I wasn’t sure how great it would be to have multiple voices edited together. There would also be a risk of people singing faster, slower, out of tune, etc. Plus, we’d have to make up a tune for everyone to learn, and I didn’t think it was worth the trouble. I decided that to make things simpler, Carolyn would make up her own tune and sing it by herself in a solo…
yes merging 8 voices would definitely be too much for a song. I remember we once or twice did it with 5 or 6 and that came out well but we all had the same basic well-known tune to sing to. Easier is often to have 2 people sing a line, then 2 others sing the next. Or just chanting it, without real tune.

Alos just having one boy sing it might have worked. It felt a bit strange to me that it was the narrator instead of a cast member for one of the boys. But if you are fine with it, we can leave it.

Luckily Carolyn has explained her very professional way to do it. I honestly suspected there was artificial pitch-change involved to get this different voice, I'm amazed this is all natural. 8-)

But since nothing is breaking our rules, I guess it can be marked PL ok, since you are happy with it as well. Saves us to get the readers back into action.

Sonia
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

Thanks for clarifying, Carolyn! Your singing is outstanding, and we all appreciate how much effort you put into your role! I love the way it turned out :clap:
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

By the way, Sonia, may you please delete all the files that have already been incorporated into Master files? Is there a reason why we still need them?
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DariaAM wrote: March 5th, 2024, 4:08 amBy the way, Sonia, may you please delete all the files that have already been incorporated into Master files? Is there a reason why we still need them?
I will delete them when the project is ready to be catalogued, no worries :)

The readers still need to be added to the finished chapters 7 and 8, btw.

Sonia
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

Kitty wrote: March 5th, 2024, 5:08 am I will delete them when the project is ready to be catalogued, no worries :)

The readers still need to be added to the finished chapters 7 and 8, btw.

Sonia
I felt something was missing but couldn’t put my finger on it! Thanks for reminding me :thumbs:
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: March 15th, 2024, 9:12 amHere is Chapter 9:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/eightcousins_09_alcott_128kb.mp3 -24:50
thank you, Elijah, perfectly PL ok. You forgot to put the link in the MW, but I did it just now, so it only needs the reader credits added for that chapter still. I let Daria do that.

Sonia
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

Hello Elijah,

When is your expected date of completion?
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
ej400

Post by ej400 »

DariaAM wrote: April 12th, 2024, 2:13 am Hello Elijah,

Should be within a week :thumbs:
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

ej400 wrote: April 12th, 2024, 9:05 am
DariaAM wrote: April 12th, 2024, 2:13 am Hello Elijah,

Should be within a week :thumbs:
Looking forward to it! :clap:
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave