[OPEN]Brazil and the River Plate in 1868 by William Hadfield - kit

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Brazil and the River Plate in 1868, by William Hadfield (1806–1887)
This work makes no pretentions to literary merit, but, as its title indicates, is simply a narrative descriptive of the progress of the countries specially referred to, which, though England has long maintained intimate commercial relations with them, are still but very imperfectly known to the British public. In the Old World generations follow each other without any very perceptible alteration being observable in the characteristic surroundings, but in the New World, as America is still termed, a few years often effect changes of the most important and striking description. This is notably the case as respects Brazil and the River Plate, the growth of which has been very remarkable. (Summary by from the preface)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/52965

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Brazil and the River Plate in 1868.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Brazil and the River Plate in 1868, by William Hadfield.
Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Brazil and the River Plate in 1868, by William Hadfield."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: brazilandtheriverplate_##_hadfield_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. brazilandtheriverplate_01_hadfield_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by ej400 on September 6th, 2023, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sorry to rain on your parade Elijah,

but you're currently BCing 10 projects already, and you're the DPL for 19 - don't you think that's a bit much already?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ej400

Post by ej400 »

No worries, I appreciate the concern! If I've hit a limit here, I understand certainly. I have felt I've been decent on keeping on page / track for my projects, but I completely understand if this would be seen as too much for now. I understand I had a poor history earlier on, but there are no intentions of seeing myself away from LV again. I feel pretty comfortable where I'm at, but again, if there is a sense I've hit a limit, I won't argue that and I understand fully.

Thanks
Elijah
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok I'll give this one a chance, sounds like an interesting topic and if you think you can handle one more project, then I can MC.

MW will be up shortly.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MW is ready to be filled in. I would recommend using "section" instead of "chapter" in the intro, in case you need to split sections. And I see there are big tables :shock: maybe put a warning note in the MW in those sections, along with the word count. They are for the hardy readers. :lol:

Shortened the filename a bit and I found the birth/death dates of our author. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hadfield

I let you fill in the MW and then we can move to readers wanted

Sonia
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Kitty wrote: September 5th, 2023, 12:54 am MW is ready to be filled in. I would recommend using "section" instead of "chapter" in the intro, in case you need to split sections. And I see there are big tables :shock: maybe put a warning note in the MW in those sections, along with the word count. They are for the hardy readers. :lol:

Shortened the filename a bit and I found the birth/death dates of our author. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hadfield

I let you fill in the MW and then we can move to readers wanted

Sonia
Thank you very much! I will be sure to add a small warning in those sections :thumbs: Probably will fill it out tomorrow

Elijah
ej400

Post by ej400 »

MW has been filled in! I found 2 sections worth in the Appendix. The first time I glanced at it, I only saw the first part of it which was rather boring, but there is some good detail (over 6 thousand words worth :lol: ) in the rest of it.

Let me know if you think the note is good! Otherwise, I think were ready for reader wanted :D

Thanks
Elijah
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: September 6th, 2023, 1:06 amLet me know if you think the note is good! Otherwise, I think were ready for reader wanted :D
yes sounds ok to me. MW fully filled in :thumbs: we move to readers wanted

Sonia
LUIOP

Post by LUIOP »

Claiming
Section 3 The City of Rio De Janeiro
Section 7 The City of San Paulo

thanks
ej400

Post by ej400 »

LUIOP wrote: September 6th, 2023, 8:14 am Claiming
Section 3 The City of Rio De Janeiro
Section 7 The City of San Paulo

thanks
Thank you!
LUIOP

Post by LUIOP »

DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Hello, I can record section 13 - Trip on the Central Argentine Railway.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

DrSpoke wrote: September 11th, 2023, 11:30 pm Hello, I can record section 13 - Trip on the Central Argentine Railway.
Thank you!
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Section 13:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/brazilandtheriverplate_13_hadfield_128kb.mp3
27:34

(Never mind the PL; if these 27+ minutes don't convince you to go and buy my Railway shares, I don't know what will)