[COMPLETE][DR]Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

Kitty wrote: February 5th, 2024, 5:13 am
ej400 wrote: February 5th, 2024, 4:51 amHere is the correction:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/eightcousins_06_alcott_128kb.mp3

I forgot how audacity meshes together those. When you paste them in separate mono tracks, it doesn't look bad until after upload. My amplification was begging me to reduce it by over 3 dbs :shock:
yes it was hurting my ears a bit. It's much better now, thanks. And PL ok.

The readers can be assigned to the section and moved down.

Sonia
Great job, everyone! Let’s continue to keep this project moving. Only six more to go! :clap:
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Chapters 7, 8 & 9 are nearly finished. I haven't uploaded yet, as I was trying a couple of things out and needing to make some swift edits, but I'll be making sure to complete them, and toss them in soon. We should be done by the end of the month :thumbs:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Here is Chapter 7:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/eightcousins_07_alcott_128kb.mp3 -18:25

I haven't felt too well the past week, so I fell a little behind on that end of the month goal. Not too far off though, I'm still going along :thumbs:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

And Chapter 8:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/eightcousins_08_alcott_128kb.mp3 -15:10

I recently finished editing 10, so I'll fix up 9 & 10's small edits and upload soon! 11 partially started :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: February 29th, 2024, 5:20 pmHere is Chapter 7:
excellently edited together

just one question:

> at 14:25: this song sounds like a professional recording, and I have to ask where you got it from. It's definitely not our volunteers reading/singing it. And as such it can't be used, for copyright reasons. This should have been caught/mentioned right away in the intial PL. :? We need to have the boys perform it, I would suggest more as a recital than a song, otherwise it will be too difficult to edit together

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: February 29th, 2024, 5:31 pmAnd Chapter 8:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/eightcousins_08_alcott_128kb.mp3 -15:10
and chapter 8 is PL ok right away :thumbs:

looking forward to the next ones, thank you

Sonia
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Kitty wrote: March 1st, 2024, 7:28 am
ej400 wrote: February 29th, 2024, 5:20 pmHere is Chapter 7:
excellently edited together

just one question:

> at 14:25: this song sounds like a professional recording, and I have to ask where you got it from. It's definitely not our volunteers reading/singing it. And as such it can't be used, for copyright reasons. This should have been caught/mentioned right away in the intial PL. :? We need to have the boys perform it, I would suggest more as a recital than a song, otherwise it will be too difficult to edit together

Sonia
I am actually completely unsure. It's in the Narrator Chapter 7 file. I had copied the last part of the narrator's lines all the way up to "end of chapter 7," but I don't remember hearing that at the time of PL. I could have missed it though :oops:

Let's fix it :D What would be your recommendation to correct this? I'm assuming we'd ask our talented Narrator for the line?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: March 1st, 2024, 9:17 amI am actually completely unsure. It's in the Narrator Chapter 7 file. I had copied the last part of the narrator's lines all the way up to "end of chapter 7," but I don't remember hearing that at the time of PL. I could have missed it though :oops:

Let's fix it :D What would be your recommendation to correct this? I'm assuming we'd ask our talented Narrator for the line?
well let's wait what our BC says, but I would recommend that one or two of the "cousins" read it, or do a sort of sing-song. I'm sure we will find a volunteer, as they are all still around and active. I know it's supposed to be them all singing, but that is not necessary as I fear it would be a cacophony in assembling it :lol:

Let's wait for Daria what she had in mind for this. I'm suprised it wasn't coloured for the cousins. :hmm:

Sonia
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Kitty wrote: March 1st, 2024, 9:33 am well let's wait what our BC says, but I would recommend that one or two of the "cousins" read it, or do a sort of sing-song. I'm sure we will find a volunteer, as they are all still around and active. I know it's supposed to be them all singing, but that is not necessary as I fear it would be a cacophony in assembling it :lol:

Let's wait for Daria what she had in mind for this. I'm suprised it wasn't coloured for the cousins. :hmm:

Sonia
Sounds like a plan!
crystalpenny

Post by crystalpenny »

Oh, Timbaloo!

I'm delighted you think it sounds like a professional recording. But, in fact, it's ALL and ENTIRELY me! I made up the tune and sang it several times, then overlayed the tracks.

Just fyi.
Carolyn
~carolyn
crystalpenny

Post by crystalpenny »

PS - in Elijah's finished file, the song occurs at 17:41.  Also, when I saw that I was assigned this song, I listened to what other LV readers of other LV versions of Eight Cousins had done with it. Some just read the song (kind of uninspiring, imo), but at least two sang a tune of, presumably, their own creation. I found reference to LV allowing readers to make up tunes so that's what I decided to do. I didn't use either of the tunes the other readers sang. This one is my own creation sung in my best tenor voice and thanks to a bag of throat lozenges   :lol:
~carolyn
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

crystalpenny wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 10:56 pmI'm delighted you think it sounds like a professional recording. But, in fact, it's ALL and ENTIRELY me! I made up the tune and sang it several times, then overlayed the tracks.
that was you ? You sing well :) but it doesn't sound like your narrating voice at all, more like a male voice. That's why I didn't think it was you. :hmm:

Sonia
ej400

Post by ej400 »

crystalpenny wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 10:56 pm Oh, Timbaloo!

I'm delighted you think it sounds like a professional recording. But, in fact, it's ALL and ENTIRELY me! I made up the tune and sang it several times, then overlayed the tracks.

Just fyi.
Carolyn
You have many talents! That was wonderful! :D
Kitty wrote: March 4th, 2024, 12:32 am that was you ? You sing well :) but it doesn't sound like your narrating voice at all, more like a male voice. That's why I didn't think it was you. :hmm:

Sonia
So, we are good to make the Chapter PL OK then, correct?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: March 4th, 2024, 1:57 amSo, we are good to make the Chapter PL OK then, correct?
I'll still wait for Daria to chime in. The difference in voice is still to be considered...and maybe it would be better to have some of the boys say the lines. Maybe it was only an oversight in colour-coding. For the moment we still have time to change it.

Sonia
crystalpenny

Post by crystalpenny »

Kitty wrote: March 4th, 2024, 12:32 am
crystalpenny wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 10:56 pmI'm delighted you think it sounds like a professional recording. But, in fact, it's ALL and ENTIRELY me! I made up the tune and sang it several times, then overlayed the tracks.
that was you ? You sing well :) but it doesn't sound like your narrating voice at all, more like a male voice. That's why I didn't think it was you. :hmm:

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia :) . I'm normally a 2nd soprano (though as I age, getting closer to alto), so forcing my voice down into a tenor range is not sustainable at all, but for this short song it was manageable. When I played it for my husband, I asked him, "do I sound totally ridiculous trying to sound "male" ?" He really laughed while listening to it, but assured me that to someone who doesn't know it's me it sounded like a men's glee. Happy to know he was right because to me it still sounds like me.
~carolyn