[EDITING][Verse Drama] The Ring of the Nibelung by Richard Wagner - rr

Plays and other dramatic works
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

alanmapstone wrote: October 13th, 2023, 10:30 am Woodbird - Siegfried

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_woodbird_siegfierd.mp3

First attempt at the Woodbird, if you would prefer a spoken version I will do one :?
Thank you, Alan. Checked in as ready for PL.

I think you may have been joshing the other day when you mentioned a Valkyrie role. Would you have done one to Flight of the Valkyries? Just curious, of course.

Now I will have to refresh on 'incidental music' policy and how it might apply, if at all. I'm in the middle of recording several sections on other projects at the moment .... I'll come back to this sooner rather than later.

Cheers!
If I were you I'd claim a Gold-Killer role. Just sayin'
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

BrianFullen wrote: October 13th, 2023, 10:54 am
First attempt at the Woodbird, if you would prefer a spoken version I will do one :?
I think you may have been joshing the other day when you mentioned a Valkyrie role. Would you have done one to Flight of the Valkyries? Just curious, of course.
Now I will have to refresh on 'incidental music' policy and how it might apply, if at all. I'm in the middle of recording several sections on other projects at the moment .... I'll come back to this sooner rather than later.
Hi Brian
The "music", such as it is, is improvised, although it is based very loosely on the music from the opera. I have been doing bits of improvised singing like this for years on LV and no one has bothered about it because it is done from memory and does not use any published music.

I would still be happy to be a Valkyrie (preferably Grimgerde) as they are in act 3 and Hunding is only in the first 2 acts. I would need to know the policy on the Valkyrie, spoken or sung? I could do a version which others could use as a template to copy.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

alanmapstone wrote: October 13th, 2023, 11:13 am
BrianFullen wrote: October 13th, 2023, 10:54 am
Hi Brian
The "music", such as it is, is improvised, although it is based very loosely on the music from the opera. I have been doing bits of improvised singing like this for years on LV and no one has bothered about it because it is done from memory and does not use any published music.

I would still be happy to be a Valkyrie (preferably Grimgerde) as they are in act 3 and Hunding is only in the first 2 acts. I would need to know the policy on the Valkyrie, spoken or sung? I could do a version which others could use as a template to copy.
Thanks for the explanation, Alan.

I'll listen to wood-bird as I'm sure Paul will too. My first thought was that this is an isolated character that serves a particular purpose in the work and perhaps your singing its lines would not be problematic. I'll admit that "loosely based" gives me pause. No doubt that the score is PD but arrangements can be problematic, I imagine. I am not a copyright attorney so I'll probably seek some guidance from a few others in LibriVox. Although Wagner is definitely in the catalog database, whether it was you or someone else who added him, I have not done any sort of updates to the catalog's database for any music related to this project. Of course I did source the texts for the librettos (libretti) but I don't recall seeing any musical arrangements in them. I'll have another look just to be sure.

I will not change the nature of this project post launch.

I'm willing to accept your claim on Grimgerde. But I'm not at all in favor of turning this project from a dramatic reading into an approximation of an opera. I'm afraid I will have to say no to the idea of singing Valkyries or other roles for that matter. So, I will assign you Grimgerde on condition that you not sing the lines for the role.

Thank you,
Brian
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Woodbird - Siegfried
Hi Alan,

I would prefer a spoken version and I do thank you for your offer to do one.

In listening to this "first attempt" I've noticed that you don't provide a voice credit for the role so, when you do the spoken version would you please provide one.

Also, it seems to me that there are stanzas that you omitted.
  • The first begins with "Hei! Siegfried now owns / All the Nibelung hoard! ..." and ends with "It would make him the lord of the world!".
  • The second begins with "Hei! Siegfried now owns / Both the helm and the ring!" and ends with "Because he has tasted the blood.",
When you do the spoken version would you please include those.

Hi Paul,

My apologies providing PL notes here. I promise to do my best to refrain from doing anything like PL on this project as it progresses.

Thank you both,
Brian
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hunding - Valkyrie

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/niblung_hunding_valkyrie.mp3

I noticed that one speech in Act 1 is labelled Siegfried which clearly a misprint for Siegmund. It might be worth mentioning this to whoever reads Siegmund.

The name Wölfe being used for Wotan in mortal disguise led to Richard Wagner's grandchildren calling Adolf Hitler "Uncle Wölfe" (he was a family friend) :evil:
Alan
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

alanmapstone wrote: October 14th, 2023, 5:20 am Hunding - Valkyrie

Thanks. Marked ready for PL

I noticed that one speech in Act 1 is labelled Siegfried which clearly a misprint for Siegmund. It might be worth mentioning this to whoever reads Siegmund.
Thank you.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Please note that in The First Act of the Valkyrie there are lines ascribed to SIEGFRIED that are to be delivered by SIEGMUND:
SIEGMUND [Embracing Sieglinde with passionate ardour.

Dear woman, that friend / Holds thee at last, / Both woman and sword are his. / Here in my breast / Burns hot the oath
That welds us twain into one. / For all that I sought / I see now in thee, / In thee all / That once failed me I find. / Thou wert despised, / My portion was pain; / I was an outlaw, / Dishonoured wert thou; / Sweet / revenge beckons, / Bids us be joyful; / I laugh / From sheer fulness of joy,
Holding thee, love, in my arms thus,
Feeling the beat of thy heart!
Thanks, Alan, for noticing this. Brian
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: October 13th, 2023, 4:29 pm
Woodbird - Siegfried
Hi Alan,

I would prefer a spoken version and I do thank you for your offer to do one.

In listening to this "first attempt" I've noticed that you don't provide a voice credit for the role so, when you do the spoken version would you please provide one.

Also, it seems to me that there are stanzas that you omitted.
  • The first begins with "Hei! Siegfried now owns / All the Nibelung hoard! ..." and ends with "It would make him the lord of the world!".
  • The second begins with "Hei! Siegfried now owns / Both the helm and the ring!" and ends with "Because he has tasted the blood.",
When you do the spoken version would you please include those.

Hi Paul,

My apologies providing PL notes here. I promise to do my best to refrain from doing anything like PL on this project as it progresses.

Thank you both,
Brian
No worries. It’s going to be huge either way.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: October 12th, 2023, 7:51 am
PaulWelford wrote: October 11th, 2023, 1:04 pm
alanmapstone wrote: October 7th, 2023, 11:30 pm Hi Brian
You are a brave man to take on such a massive project :lol:

I have thought about this myself but thought I was rash enough doing Tristan and Isolde. Good Luck

If you want help with the PL I would be happy to do that although I have quite a lot of PL work on at the moment.

I know it is a bit early to be claiming but I would love to read Loge in Das Rheingold.
Hey Alan I just realised that I offered to DPL after you offerd PL help. My apologies - if you would rather keep your first claim staked please say so and I will happily relinquish.
Thank you for pointing this out, Paul.

At the time that I first read, or misread, Alan's post, I interpreted it to mean that while he was deeply engaged in many other projects, including Wagner's Tristan and Isolde, he would make time time to pitch in and help with proof-listening this one. I hope that Alan will let us know if indeed he intended to DPL here.

When you volunteered to DPL I should probably have mentioned that you'd be most welcome to claim sections in this project. I'm sure someone would proof sections that you record. I would, for that matter.
I’m quite drawn to Alberich, but if you think he has too much to say for a DPL, I’ll happily think again.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

alanmapstone wrote: October 14th, 2023, 5:20 am Hunding - Valkyrie

The name Wölfe being used for Wotan in mortal disguise led to Richard Wagner's grandchildren calling Adolf Hitler "Uncle Wölfe" (he was a family friend) :evil:
Thanks v much Alan

Nice use of distance/echo to get Hunding's voice to come from the hills.

I'm sorry but I also have a few PL notes:

1) 00:36 - as you start to say "set the meal" there is a short noise, I think (having also heard it elsewhere in the file (02:26), it's interference from a mobile phone)

2) 1:05 between "rode no horse" and "what toil" there is a click. There are actually many clicks throughout, and I started to list them all like this but there are too many to list really so I suggest using the de-clicker add-in to avoid re-recording.

3) 02:26 the aforementioned mobile phone which luckily doesn't affect your voice so should be easy to strip out

Many thanks
Last edited by PaulWelford on October 15th, 2023, 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Availle wrote: October 12th, 2023, 5:22 am Here is the link to the pronunciation guide:

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/pronunciation_guide_ring_of_the_nibelung.mp3

Hope this helps! :D
Thanks very much Ava - I'm going to be listening to this a lot! I've downloaded it as requested by Brian, to avoid burdening the LV servers.

Would you mind adding Wehwalt and Wölfe please?
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

PaulWelford wrote: October 14th, 2023, 11:39 am
BrianFullen wrote: October 12th, 2023, 7:51 am
PaulWelford wrote: October 11th, 2023, 1:04 pm

Hey Alan I just realised that I offered to DPL after you offerd PL help. My apologies - if you would rather keep your first claim staked please say so and I will happily relinquish.
Thank you for pointing this out, Paul.

At the time that I first read, or misread, Alan's post, I interpreted it to mean that while he was deeply engaged in many other projects, including Wagner's Tristan and Isolde, he would make time time to pitch in and help with proof-listening this one. I hope that Alan will let us know if indeed he intended to DPL here.

When you volunteered to DPL I should probably have mentioned that you'd be most welcome to claim sections in this project. I'm sure someone would proof sections that you record. I would, for that matter.
I’m quite drawn to Alberich, but if you think he has too much to say for a DPL, I’ll happily think again.
Forgive me for not responding on Alberich, Paul. The part is yours, of course. A great choice!
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

BrianFullen wrote: October 16th, 2023, 11:14 am
PaulWelford wrote: October 14th, 2023, 11:39 am
Forgive me for not responding on Alberich, Paul. The part is yours, of course. A great choice!
No worries
👍
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

alanmapstone wrote: October 16th, 2023, 1:20 am Hunding revised

Thanks Alan. It was much better. There were however some remaining clicks and other artefacts, which, with Brian’s agreement, I’ve removed. Please would you check you’re ok with it so I can mark it as PL OK?