Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Thebrynth

Post by Thebrynth »

Here is my second attempt at Ellen from Sam Average. Let me know if you need me to do anything else. Thanks!

samaverage_ellen_percymackaye.mp3
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Thebrynth wrote: April 20th, 2023, 9:27 am Here is my second attempt at Ellen from Sam Average. Let me know if you need me to do anything else. Thanks!

samaverage_ellen_percymackaye.mp3
Thank you, but could you please provide the link? :D Thanks
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The file name after PL should be the same as the original - and the shortened version of it in the post above seems to indicate that is true. So I think that it could be SPOT PL'd now from the MW link.

Thanks, Todd
ej400

Post by ej400 »

ToddHW wrote: April 20th, 2023, 5:59 pm The file name after PL should be the same as the original - and the shortened version of it in the post above seems to indicate that is true. So I think that it could be SPOT PL'd now from the MW link.

Thanks, Todd
I forgot about that :mrgreen: Thank you very much for your knowledge, Todd!
karmaemmings

Post by karmaemmings »

Thebrynth

Post by Thebrynth »

Ooops! I copied the wrong thing before. Here's the link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/samaverage_ellen_percymackaye.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here are the lines for The Snowman in the play entitled "The Snowman" -

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/thesnowman_thesnowman_housman.mp3

Take care,

Greg
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
tefavidal

Post by tefavidal »

ToddHW wrote: April 17th, 2023, 10:44 am Here is Napoleon. 35:03

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/manofdestiny_napoleon_shaw.mp3

Interesting play. Thank you for offering it.

I did not try a Corsican accent, nor French - did not want to turn this into a farce. If you really want such accent, you might need someone else....

Thanks, Todd

(Oh, and Audacity DID save everything in my file when the computer went down. Hooray!)
Napoleon is PL OK, very nice job, especially with all those lecturing speeches!

I'll start on the editing now. Since it is my first editing job, does anybody have any advice on how to proceed?
Back until end of August.
Catching up on some recordings
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

tefavidal wrote: April 24th, 2023, 10:53 pm I'll start on the editing now. Since it is my first editing job, does anybody have any advice on how to proceed?
Hi
I am not a very experienced editor but I always start by making the stage directions a base for the final file then copy and paste the individual roles into this. I do these one at a time but some editors prefer to do all the roles at once. Then make a final pass through the complete file equalising volumes and adjusting gaps to give a smoother dramatic flow.
There is a video tutorial on editing in the Need Help? forum if that would help.
Good luck :wink:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

alanmapstone wrote: April 24th, 2023, 11:08 pm
tefavidal wrote: April 24th, 2023, 10:53 pm I'll start on the editing now. Since it is my first editing job, does anybody have any advice on how to proceed?
Hi
I am not a very experienced editor but I always start by making the stage directions a base for the final file then copy and paste the individual roles into this. I do these one at a time but some editors prefer to do all the roles at once. Then make a final pass through the complete file equalising volumes and adjusting gaps to give a smoother dramatic flow.
There is a video tutorial on editing in the Need Help? forum if that would help.
Good luck :wink:
I know it's too soon for me to be starting editing without all the sections but on the subject there is something I've wondered for awhile and I don't know if I'm just being dense but how do you actually download the files for editing? Because if you click on them it just plays them in browser but to edit you surely need them on your own computer and into audacity
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Inkell wrote: April 25th, 2023, 2:57 am I know it's too soon for me to be starting editing without all the sections but on the subject there is something I've wondered for awhile and I don't know if I'm just being dense but how do you actually download the files for editing? Because if you click on them it just plays them in browser but to edit you surely need them on your own computer and into audacity
If you "right-click" on the file link in MW it will give list of options. Choose "Save Link As" and it will download to the folder that is currently active (make sure it is the one you want the files in).
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

When I edit, I have the master file (the narrator file renamed with the final file name for the act) along the top of my screen. On the right side I have the script. And on the left and middle I have all the files for characters in that act opened, adjusted to the right level (* see below). And everything is set to have the same time spacing - so their timeline is in seconds; that means that many of the files will not show everything a character says.

It helps that I have a double width screen! But you will never fit all the character files on the screen so that you can see them all at the same time - look for the Audacity icon on the edge of your screen and press on it to see the list of open Audacity files and bring characters that are currently speaking to each other on top of the other open files.
* In Audacity I use Replay Gain to set the level for each character file before I start editing. However, it gets confused by the spaces between the lines and so often it will want you to amplify when you really don't need to. And some people speak with a buncha energy in frequencies that Replay Gain does not apparently sense. Doesn't really matter - after I assemble everything into one file, I go through and adjust all the levels to make them appropriate as I listen to the entire thing before Final PL. This means I always make two passes - one to just assemble, and a second to adjust. If I adjust as I assemble, it really slows me down too much so I do them as separate activities.
I go through and CUT (** see below) a line from a character file and PASTE it into the master file. One by one following the script. Listening now and again to the start or end of a line to make sure that I didn't get out of sequence: Sometimes people will have a very small gap so I might confuse two lines as being one; or a large gap within a line that I might confuse as two
** By CUTTING from the character file, you always know where you are in that character's file - you are always at the beginning. And if you do something wrong, you can always bring your cuts back one by one with control-Z.
If you get interrupted before editing is done, save each character file as it is - with everything that is in the master file no longer in the character file - as an Audacity file. Then open these Audacity files instead of the mp3s when you get back to the computer.

Good luck! (And if everything goes bad, remember that you can always download the original files from the MW again and start over.)

Thanks, Todd