Complete [COOKING] My Hundred Favorite Recipes, by Mary Blake-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SunnyG

Post by SunnyG »

I found this cookbook the other day when looking for my first project. I'll be happy to take what is left: Meats and Misc. And anything else that comes up, if the other assigned but not completed chapters end up needing to be reassigned. (I'm new as a reader, and haven't looked at timing, but I see that Betty has been hard at work, and there are other things not completed yet.)

Thanks! :-)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

SunnyG wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 4:22 pm I found this cookbook the other day when looking for my first project. I'll be happy to take what is left: Meats and Misc. And anything else that comes up, if the other assigned but not completed chapters end up needing to be reassigned. (I'm new as a reader, and haven't looked at timing, but I see that Betty has been hard at work, and there are other things not completed yet.)

Thanks! :-)
Great!
I've signed you up for these two sections which makes the project fully subscribed.
I have two other recipe books underway, and there will be more.

One does have a chapter that may open up later in the month if the reader doesn't complete it.

Cottage Cheese Recipe Book
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=87359

~ Larry
SunnyG

Post by SunnyG »

silverquill wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 5:27 pm
Great!
I've signed you up for these two sections which makes the project fully subscribed.
I have two other recipe books underway, and there will be more.

One does have a chapter that may open up later in the month if the reader doesn't complete it.

Cottage Cheese Recipe Book
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=87359
[/quote]

Sure! Let me know. There's only 3 recipes on that section. I'm not fond of Cottage Cheese, but I won't be eating it, just talking about it... :lol: I do, however, love recipes. Especially if you have some that have text other than the recipes.
SunnyG

Post by SunnyG »

Are we reading the little... I don't know, they are like ad breaks, between recipes? I have one that says "Carnation Milk is Convenient and Economical." I would assume not, but I don't know how literal we should be. :lol:

Also... the recipe says:
1/2 green pepper
I said:
"one-half of a green pepper"
Is that wrong?

Then, when it called for 1/4 pimiento [who buys whole pimientos???],
I just read it as:
"one quarter pimiento"
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

SunnyG wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 2:55 pm Are we reading the little... I don't know, they are like ad breaks, between recipes? I have one that says "Carnation Milk is Convenient and Economical." I would assume not, but I don't know how literal we should be. :lol:

Also... the recipe says:
1/2 green pepper
I said:
"one-half of a green pepper"
Is that wrong?

Then, when it called for 1/4 pimiento [who buys whole pimientos???],
I just read it as:
"one quarter pimiento"
Good questions.
The blurbs can be omitted.

But, otherwise read just as writtten.

1/2 green pepper as one half green pepper.

one quarter pimento.

Some thing will be different or sound odd, but just read as written.

Thanks for checking. :)

~ Larry
SunnyG

Post by SunnyG »

Yeah, and I stumbled over some of those odd phrases... I learned quickly to just pause and reread when I have trouble with a phrase. lol "Pour over this the sauce" is sooo poor English... :lol:

I've never even seen whole pimientos in the produce section. I thought they grew in jars or in olives! :lol: :lol:

Ok! Section 9, Meats! (Actually... I don't know if I said my intro right, after typing that.)
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/favoriterecipes_meats_blake_128kb.mp3

I don't know why (even after doing the noise reduction, and using the parts that smoothed out from my original recording) I couldn't get the same quiet background on the sections I pasted in.

I may have some spots where there is too long a pause, and I don't know if I have to go through and remove all the tap-tap-tapping from when I was arrowing down on the keyboard between recipes. Or, how to reduce that for all future recordings. I can't see printing everything I will be reading. A waste of paper. I was thinking of maybe reading from my phone, then I will only have to scroll down on my phone. That may be a good solution.

This is my first official upload... so... let me know what I need to change. I assume the post-editing gets easier after I know what I'm doing. (And probably the reading, as well.) I've spent like an hour and a half editing a 9min recording. :lol:

What is the difference between export and save project in Audacity? Do you know? I've been exporting per whichever instructions I had found... I guess on the 1-min test. But, I've wondered what "save project" means.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

A few specific comments:

-- The file name is incorrect. Look in the instructions of each project for the exact format, but it will always fallow a standard of book title (may be shortened and always one word, followed by the section number and then the author. Here is the format for this project.

Filename: favoriterecipes_##_blake_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. favoriterecipes_01_blake_128kb.mp3)

-- The intro is also incorrect. Again, the format will always be found in the reading instructions. This one starts, ""Section [Number] of My Hundred Favorite Recipes" So, we need the section number at the beginning, and then the name of the section at the end of the intro. Ending is just section number again.

A few general comments

Yes, I do think some of your pauses are a bit long, but you don't need to change them. Then, I think if you listen you will hear "mike bumps," so you might want to think about mike placement but be careful of bumping it or anything it touches. I listened to just a sample, and I didn't hear anything that needs correction, except in the closing silence. This might also help with other noises. I'm not sure what your setup is, but I try to have my mike as far away from my laptop and mouse as possible. I did two things that help a lot. I got a cheap mike stand so I don't have to worry about noise transmitted from a table. Believe it or not, I used to print stuff out to read! My preferred method now is to read from a tablet.

Yes the editing process does get easier!

I keep telling myself that if I learn to read better, I won't have so much editing to do. Hasn't happened yet. :lol:
Twenty minutes of recording will usually edit down to 15 min of finished recording.

Don't do anything now until you get a full PL report in case there are any other changes you need to make, and then upload under the correct file name, and give us the new file length as mm:ss

--

Audacity: If you save a file as an Audacity project, then it can be opened only in Audacity. It is its own format. I've never done that, but I know some do. Even if I just need to save a temporary file, I'll always export as mp3. For my raw recordings, I save in all upper case to help me identify it as a temp file. Whatever works for you.

Well, gotta run. Thanks so much for your effort!

~ Larry
SunnyG

Post by SunnyG »

I copied the file name from the project instructions, so the only thing wrong is the fact I used the name "Meats" instead of the section number? It's just one thing that's wrong? The book doesn't have chapter numbers or anything. I will be more cognizant of the section numbers in the Magic Window.

After I do my Librivox intro, I should then say "Meats"?

I heard some of the mic bumps, too... but I wasn't touching the mic, so I don't know where those came from. The mic is on my table, and a few inches from my mouth. My hands are in my lap or on the laptop. Maybe I touched the mic stand by accident once or twice when moving my hands. I will have to pay more attention in the future, I guess.

I state the file length when giving you the file upload?

Good to know about Audacity saving. Thanks!
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

Just a reminder that my last three sections were uploaded on July 2 but haven't been put in MW.

Betty
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Thank you for the reminder, Betty! I'm going to listen to them tomorrow. :mrgreen:
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Hello, SunnyG. :D

Thank you for your recording! :D

Here are my PL Notes:

According to the instructions in the first post, the filename should be favoriterecipes_09_blake_128kb.mp3 (just the section number, not the name).

The Intro should read Section 9 of My Hundred Favorite Recipes. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. My Hundred Favorite Recipes, by Mary Blake. Meats.

~01:16 unclear word (mashed): "... or with mashed or baked potatoes."

~03:07 missing word (it): "and pour over it the Carnation diluted with water."

~07:15-07:17 a series of distinct clics is heard between end of recipe " Serves 6" and title of next one "Carnation Veal Birds".

The Outro should start "End of Section 9".

(There are also some minor clics, pauses and a couple hesitations but none of these need editing. It's all part of the learning process. Practice will make things smoother. ) :D
Jasna

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Hi, Betty.
More of those yummy Sections! Thank you! :9:

PL Notes on Section 5 FISH
~ 0:55-~0:57 Repetition/cough in list of ingredients: "bread crumbs"
~01:11-~01:16 Repetition "Heated until high- heated until hot"

Sections 8 and 19 are PL OK.
Jasna

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I will move you to Readers Found. :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/favoriterecipes_05_blake_128kb.mp3

Uploaded for spot check.
Section 5 should have not been uploaded I had not checked it. Sorry.

Time is now 3.3

Betty
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

BettyB wrote: July 5th, 2021, 8:40 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/favoriterecipes_05_blake_128kb.mp3

Uploaded for spot check.
Section 5 should have not been uploaded I had not checked it. Sorry.

Time is now 3.3

Betty
Oops! uploaded to wrong MC. . . .

~ Larry