EDITING [DR][Hardy Boys #3] The Secret of the Old Mill - rr

Plays and other dramatic works
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

The Secret of the Old Mill, by Franklin W. Dixon (1902 - 1977)

Volunteers outside the USA: This author writing as Franklin W. Dixon died in 1977. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Teenage sleuths Frank and Joe Hardy have begun to make a name for themselves in their home city of Bayport, but their mother would very much like them to stay out of the detective business! In this third book of the series, the Hardy boys investigate a sudden wave of counterfeit cash and clever cons, their chums get up to some petty pranks, and the boys make a new friend from out of town. But what is the matter with their new friend, and why is he living out at the Old Mill? (Summary by redrun)
Project Notes
Casting is gender-neutral. Descriptions of characters in the MW are purely for the reader's convenience.

Readers are welcome to double-up on roles, so long as their characters don't appear in the same chapters together.

For convenience, status for all PD books in the series will be updated here: viewtopic.php?t=96048
Source text (please read only from these prepared scripts): https://nextcloud.sitesfor.us/s/MQWkBCCdg4RoD4L

The scripts are prepared from the original text, here: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/70236

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.
Proof-listen individual parts from the provided script for each chapter.
Proof-listen completed chapters against the Gutenberg source here: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/70236

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per chapter. Your voice credit is included in the script for your first chapter.
Leave at least 3 seconds of space after your voice credit and each of your lines (room noise, not generated silence). This saves a lot of time in editing!

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter 1 of The Secret of the Old Mill, book 3 of the Hardy Boys Mystery series by Franklin W. Dixon. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of The Secret of the Old Mill by Franklin W. Dixon. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." "Chapter Title."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Chapter #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Secret of the Old Mill, book 3 of the Hardy Boys mystery series by Franklin W. Dixon."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename (please put the chapter number before the character name!):
For individual roles: secretoftheoldmill_##_role.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. secretoftheoldmill_03_phil.mp3)
For final files: secretoftheoldmill_##_dixon_128kb.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. secretoftheoldmill_01_dixon_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: redrun

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I will be doing parts-PL, as well as narrating and editing. I have had a couple of offers for final PL, and we'll see who's available when that time comes. :wink:

If there are still errors in the scripts (lines mis-attributed or unlabeled, incorrect links in the MW, etc.), then please feel free to speak up! I've been over them several times and have had some help too, but if you see something, I'd rather know it sooner than later!

We have had several readers request to reprise their roles from the previous books. I'm very glad they enjoyed themselves in those roles and are willing to take on the (in some cases quite sizeable) task of reading for this book too.
But having roles filled before an individual project launches is also not the usual way we do things here, for several reasons.

On balance, I've decided on a 3-day reservation period for the requested roles. Returning readers will have until the evening of Tuesday, October 10th to confirm that they're ready for that much work again. At that time, I'll post to let everyone know that any remaining roles are open to the first comers.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I would like to read for Callie Shaw :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

LCaulkins wrote: October 7th, 2023, 11:23 am I would like to read for Callie Shaw :)
Alright, and thank you! Moving on down to "assigned".
You'll probably notice I've used a MW setup a little closer to what you use. I figured I'd try several different organizations and see what likes me best. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
MajorToast

Post by MajorToast »

I would be happy to reprise the role of Joe Hardy. Thank you all for making the first one amazing.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

MajorToast wrote: October 7th, 2023, 12:18 pm I would be happy to reprise the role of Joe Hardy. Thank you all for making the first one amazing.
And thank you for joining again! Frank and Joe both have so many lines to read, I didn't even bother counting. You'll be putting in a lot of work, yourself. :wink:
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

oooh - could I have Cat?

Meow???

Thanks,

M
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

mleigh wrote: October 7th, 2023, 12:38 pm oooh - could I have Cat?

Meow???

Thanks,

M
I knew someone would enjoy this part! Role is assigned. :mrgreen:
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

redrun wrote: October 7th, 2023, 11:29 am
LCaulkins wrote: October 7th, 2023, 11:23 am I would like to read for Callie Shaw :)
Alright, and thank you! Moving on down to "assigned".
You'll probably notice I've used a MW setup a little closer to what you use. I figured I'd try several different organizations and see what likes me best. :wink:
:) Hey, man, there's so much work involved that it should be the way the primary worker likes to have it! My personal aims are to keep it organized over long periods of time (since I tend toward long DRs), make it easy for incoming readers to see what is open and to get to where they need to be, making the editor's job easy where possible, creating MW protocols that double-check reader lists on sections for me, and leaving everything clear enough for someone to pick up in an emergency. Back when I had long covid, Todd did that for me on a play, and after that I picked up two abandoned DR novels, so I came to respect the need for clarity for other people.

And since I do most of the editing for him, I trained my husband to run his MWs the way I like mine. :lol: :lol:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

ej400 wrote: October 7th, 2023, 1:09 pm I'd be happy to claim Lester :D
Thank you! I hope you enjoy the role - Lester's new in this book, and he's something of a mystery himself. :D
LCaulkins wrote: October 7th, 2023, 1:08 pm Hey, man, there's so much work involved that it should be the way the primary worker likes to have it!
Agreed! I'm just trying out several, to see if I even have a preference! :lol:
This way certainly makes it much easier to move roles around in the MW, that's a big plus.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I would like to be the kindly ole Uncle Dock. :mrgreen:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

silverquill wrote: October 7th, 2023, 2:25 pm I would like to be the kindly ole Uncle Dock. :mrgreen:
Oh-ho, so be it, Uncle! Thank you for joining, and I hope you enjoy! :mrgreen:
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Thank you for assigning Fenton Hardy to me!

I look forward to Book 3 in this fantastic series!

Greg
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

GregGiordano wrote: October 7th, 2023, 3:03 pm Thank you for assigning Fenton Hardy to me!

I look forward to Book 3 in this fantastic series!

Greg
Thank you Greg, the role is now assigned!