The "Limiter" option (audacity)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Figured I would share this in case anyone else would find this helpful:

So lately during recording my voice simply cannot reach those 86 to 92 dbs without needing amplify. However, there are inconsistent places during the recording where I have found the volume too loud, or random spikes inside of words with pesky "s" sounds or spikes of "ah!" Or etc occur.

That said, I wouls normally have to select portions of the audio to de-amplify where it was too loud, or had a few clicks of a sort, or amplify the spots that were too quiet, like the beginning of a recording where my voice is soft and not warmed up.

I present to you my new favorite audacity tool, the limiter! Close to the noise reduction option, I select the entire recording and hit "apply" (if needed I can share my settings tomorrow when I have my computer). This way it will automatically pull certain areas together and have a much more constant flow. From there I can select the entire section again, and go about amplification and it will be able to hot that 89 db target quite closely! Pretty neat in my opinion

Thought I would share! I'm sure it has been used before / mentioned somewhere but I'm geeking over the easier editing times :mrgreen:

Elijah
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Wait till you discover the compressor!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

InTheDesert wrote: August 17th, 2023, 2:37 am Wait till you discover the compressor!
I don't like the compressor and switched from it to the limiter. The compressor adds this weird fade-in to the start of the vocal, whereas the limiter basically does the same thing, but without the fade-in. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I use the compressor when there are multiple strong spikes that sometimes the limiter cannot reach.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I must try that. Seems easier than de-amplifying all the spikes.

Thanks!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

TriciaG wrote: August 17th, 2023, 5:11 am I don't like the compressor and switched from it to the limiter. The compressor adds this weird fade-in to the start of the vocal, whereas the limiter basically does the same thing, but without the fade-in. :)
Aye, that is an annoying thing about compressor. There's one way to trick it though: At the beginning of my recording, I say some words that won't go into the recording. Then, the unwanted fade-in only affects something that gets cut out anyway.
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen: