[COMPLETE][DR]Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

Eight Cousins, by Louisa May Alcott (1832 - 1888)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/eight-cousins-version-4-dr-by-louisa-may-alcott/
When frail, sickly Rose Campbell is left an orphan following the death of her father, she moves with her eccentric bachelor uncle to a place she will come to know as “Aunt Hill”. There, she meets her six aunts, each of whom has conflicting ideas on how to raise their little niece and her seven rowdy boy cousins. Through Uncle Alec’s guidance, Rose begins a new milestone and acquires valuable lessons about health, education, and character building. As Rose begins to bloom with health and vitality, she finds new happiness and learns the importance of family love that “ties all bonds”. (Summary by DariaAM)
Source text: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38567

MC: Kitty
BC: DariaAM
Co-BC: ej400
Narrator: crystalpenny
Parts DPL: ej400
Parts PLers: Kitty and DariaAM
Chapters DPL: Kitty
Editors: ej400 and crystalpenny

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special - Dramatic Works
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners
PL individual parts from the scripts here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1chSpU2zAxByHRmJ_h38tetlxY8m9pQafe0_pnWpekh8/edit
PL completed chapters from the original text here: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38567

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per chapter. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Eight Cousins, by Louisa May Alcott.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
Chapter Title
At the end of each file say:
"End of Chapter #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Eight Cousins, by Louisa May Alcott."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: eightcousins_role_##.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. eightcousins_rose_01.mp3)
For final files: eightcousins_##_alcott_128kb.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. eightcousins_01_alcott_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by DariaAM on April 26th, 2024, 11:30 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

The roles of Pokey and Ariadne Blish are pre-claimed. All other roles are open.
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Could I play aunt Jane, please?
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

An eccentric bachelor uncle sounds just my sort of role, so Uncle Alec please.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

May I claim Aunt Plenty? (it's been a while since I've done this, so hi everyone! :) )
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

DrSpoke wrote: July 7th, 2023, 2:36 am Could I play aunt Jane, please?
Beeswaxcandle wrote: July 7th, 2023, 11:22 am An eccentric bachelor uncle sounds just my sort of role, so Uncle Alec please.
stoogeswoman wrote: July 7th, 2023, 3:22 pm May I claim Aunt Plenty? (it's been a while since I've done this, so hi everyone! :) )
Thank you Claudia, Beeswaxcandle, and Christine! Happy to have you all here. Your roles will be assigned once the MW comes up. :)
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Great. And many thanks for all the work towards making the reading easier!
crystalpenny

Post by crystalpenny »

May i be your "enthusiastic narrator"?
~carolyn
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Hi Daria! So glad to see you are doing this as a DR!

May I claim Rose?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

crystalpenny wrote: July 8th, 2023, 2:20 pm May i be your "enthusiastic narrator"?
Of course! Thank you for your enthusiasm! :D :wink:
jennlea wrote: July 8th, 2023, 4:08 pm Hi Daria! So glad to see you are doing this as a DR!

May I claim Rose?
Yes, I’m very excited for this project as well. Rose is all yours!
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hi Daria, I see there is a lot of traffic here already, so let me MC this and give you a MW so you can keep track of all the claims.

I loved Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom as a kid, so I would love to participate in a small role as well, could I claim Aunt Jessie please ?

I can also offer to PL the finished assembled chapters later on.

As this is your first DR BCing, let me know if there is anything unclear. DRs are a big endeavour, so: good luck. 8-)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MW is ready to be populated. Did you really want a Section 0 ? Sections will get moved around quite a bit in a DR, so the need for a Section 0 is not really clear, unless you wanted the very short intro included as a separate section. Let me know. :)

I put in Elijah as DPL since he will have the bulk of the PL work with the section PLing.

I'll let you fill out the MW, then we can move to readers wanted.

Sonia
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

Thank you, Sonia! :clap:

Now thinking of it, I agree that it’s not very necessary to keep Section 0. We’re going to combine the dramatis personae with the preface so you can get rid of it. Oh-and I’ll assign Aunt Jessie for you! I have a nice Jane Austen soundtrack turned on so I’m going to have some fun filling out the MW!! :wink:

Quick question: The first post says “Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).”
What happens if someone uses too much noise cleaning? Should I ask them to re-read their part?
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DariaAM wrote: July 9th, 2023, 3:17 amNow thinking of it, I agree that it’s not very necessary to keep Section 0. We’re going to combine the dramatis personae with the preface so you can get rid of it.
hm ah ok, you'll do DP and preface in one section...actually then it's best to leave section 0, because then the section numbers and the chapter numbers can stay identical ;) Unless you think some chapters need to be split ? Will they run over 74 minutes by any chance ?
Quick question: The first post says “Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).”
What happens if someone uses too much noise cleaning? Should I ask them to re-read their part?
The editor will have to adjust background noise and volume anyway while assembling the chapters. Unless excessive noise-cleaning results in a distortion of the audio, there is no need to re-do a recording. Anyway, our regular readers will already know how to clean their files for a good audio, so only brand new volunteers may encounter this problem and we can tutor them then when/if the problem occurs. :)

Sonia
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

The editor will have to adjust background noise and volume anyway while assembling the chapters. Unless excessive noise-cleaning results in a distortion of the audio, there is no need to re-do a recording. Anyway, our regular readers will already know how to clean their files for a good audio, so only brand new volunteers may encounter this problem and we can tutor them then when/if the problem occurs. :)

Sonia
Sounds good! :thumbs:

Now, speaking of Section 0, if you think that keeping it is best, then please do! All of the chapters are not very long, so there will be no need of splitting them.

By the way, thank you so much for volunteering to DPL the completed chapters! Now we have the whole team ready! It feels like Christmas in July. :9:
Last edited by DariaAM on July 9th, 2023, 4:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave