PL with or without text, which is better? McGurk effect

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
GettingTooOld

Post by GettingTooOld »

I'm not suggesting any changes first off, so I'll thank you not to claim I'm causing trouble by educating about this, it's simply worth discussing.

When you PL, with the text in front of your eyes, and you reading along, you won't hear the same thing as a regular audiobook listener. I know this, so I try to listen through first, (once again, let me point out I'm not suggesting you do, and I'm not suggesting any changes, it's just a topic to discuss) after I try listening through first to see what I can hear in the way of words and story and the whole point, then I'll check words heard to text read. Knowing the words in advance or at the same time would change what is heard. So reading along, is it cheating :D and should I get a smack and be relegated to some letter game in offtopic or something.

Here is a similar effect to the thing I am talking of, the similar phenomenon is called the McGurk effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

So in doing PL, is it better to listen twice do you think, rather than once only ?
Twice, once without text and then once with, or once with text and that's all....
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

As a DPL I find this interesting. My method is to read the text while listening. I often run my finger underneath the words almost touching the monitor; that makes it one word at a time that I am PLing as I read/listen. I wouldn't like to listen first because I would notice anything wrong. Then it might be hard to notice the same wrong thing by reading/listening a second time; I would be "used to" and "adjusted to" the error and would miss it. I suspect that there's a name for that effect somewhere.

Are there any empirical studies on best ways to proof listen/read? Our case is more complex in that we can't do the "old school" method of reading the text backwards to not be distracted by comprehension. I have found that the most common error in a PL is a line or section missed out. This may be a scanning error [e.g miss a line] or an editing mistake. Also a common error is to say a similar word to the text. Like "I was huge" instead of "I was big". That error would escape just listening because it still makes sense. Sometimes I still go PL OK and give such an error as a suggestion.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You've both been around LV for long enough to know that there is no simple answer, everyone is different every project is different
If there was only one way it would be a rule - like the file formats for example :D

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I never ever listen to a whole recording twice as DPL. I would never get anything done!

For me, it depends on the needs of the project and how I'm feeling at the time. Projects with a word perfect PL standard (fairly rare) obviously require one to follow along with the text. So do dramatic projects, where you are PLing just the lines for one person at a time, because you need to make sure that no lines are missing.

For other projects, I'm sometimes following along. I sometimes have the text up on the screen, but I only glance at it from time to time. Sometimes I listen while doing a puzzle in another part of the room. (If I hear something "off," I have to walk over, pause the recording, find the spot where I heard it, etc.) For standard PL, any of these are acceptable.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If I were required to listen along with the text, I wouldn't PL much, if at all. That's more time plumped on my recliner when I could be cleaning my kitchen or cooking, and I already am plumped in my recliner quite enough, thank you. :lol:

That said, there are some things I cannot do while listening. Anything else verbal (reading anything) or mental (computing, etc.). No checking Facebook or news headlines while listening! Heck, I found yesterday that even setting up my sewing machine and doing a little sewing was too distracting; I had to start over because I had missed so much.

But I find that people that PL while reading along with the text do note too many minor deviations from the text. They may see them as suggestions, but the reader (especially newer ones) often consider them as required changes.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ej400

Post by ej400 »

From the wiki:
"Listen for repeated words or passages that the reader likely intended to edit out.
Note any long pauses or bad background noises that disrupt the flow of your listening pleasure.
Note that the intro and outro has the correct wording as noted in the first post of the project thread, and 5 seconds of silence at the end.
If the recording seems too loud or too quiet, please note that as well.
It is NOT necessary for you to follow along with the text; just listen as you would normally.
A request for word-perfect (example: Einstein's Relativity) includes all of the above, and reading along:
Follow along with the online text and note any differences between what is written and what you hear."

I believe that often times many volunteers proof listen between the standard and word perfect. Some do follow along with the text, trying to check for any sorts of variations to the text (which is totally okay), and I think that's cool as long as those are put as suggestions. There are some DPL's I've worked with that are quite easy to work with, and note only a few times when I would even have to agree with them it did change the author's intent or changed the wording enough that it didn't quite make sense. But, I wouldn't be upset if a DPL only checked for what the standard PL was asking for either, because I've only requested standard PLing. So either way, I think it depends on the person, and I think that's what keeps LV going is of course, the volunteers who are all very different and make us certainly a unique community.

I do think the word perfect PLing is a little intimidating for myself, but, may be underrated in some cases (but prefer standard PLing!)
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

In my own recordings it seems I misspeak on average about two [meaningful] words every 10 minutes that I don't catch while recording or in a casual listen. Although I wish to represent as best as possible what is written and will always correct if I become aware either from my own close PL or a DPL, if those mistakes do make it in, I figure 2 bad words out of 1500 is still only 0.13%--negligible.
Perfect is boring!
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

I don't PL very often, but when I do I always follow along in the text because it is too easy for me to stop paying attention otherwise. If the requested PL level is standard I ignore minor word deviations that don't change the meaning of the text and report on everything else. I also always state that any corrections I find are suggestions, but I doubt that the less experienced see them as anything less than required fixes.

I listen to my own recordings several times as I edit them, once reading along and once or twice without looking at the text. Usually I simply say the wrong word ("earth" instead of "world", or "the cabin" instead of "his cabin"), and need to be reading along to catch these. Sometimes I mumble slightly, and am more likely to catch the mumbling when I am not looking at the text and so don't know what the word is supposed to be.

So, for my own stuff I listen both ways. For other people's stuff, I only listen while reading the text and don't worry about someone hearing it differently.
Tom Penn