Comments on youtube

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I occasionally look on youtube for comments about any of my recordings that have been posted there ... and occasionally thank the listener. But I couldn't resist answering this listener to my Ghost Stories of an Antiquary.

@garymurphy4165
4 days ago
Great! Yet another librivox abomination. When will these amateurs cease butchering the classics?

Peter Why
So kind. We are reading and recording primarily for our own pleasure; then make the recordings available to others to listen to, if they wish to. I make recordings that I would wish to hear, myself. Please do feel free to make recordings which suit your ear better. Peter Yearsley
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Those who can do, those who can't criticise.
You'd think he would give up listening wouldn't you? I would if I thought that way.

Anne
Seems like IA reviewers don't agree. https://archive.org/details/ghost_stories_antiquary_librivox. Don't hang up your microphone yet
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Hi Peter,

such negative reviews also threw me into a deep hole in the last months. It took me a while to get over it. You can find my thoughts on this here (http://librivox.lorda.de/weitere-aktivitaeten/mein-umgang-mit-internet-kritik/) (in German, but google will definitely help you).
Always remember - we do all this because we enjoy it. 8-)

Greetings, Bernd
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

It doesn't bother me, except indirectly, in that it demonstrates that there are some very strange people out there. He is entitled to dislike what we/I do, but it's the willingness to express his feelings in that way that I find disturbing. Are these the people that start fights in pubs? ... "Are you looking at me, pal?"

Somewhere I read (I think it was in a Heinlein novel), something like: "courtesy is the grease that keeps society moving smoothly; discourtesy is the grit in the bearings."

As far as my recordings are concerned, I'm happy with the proportion of listeners that are willing to say that they like what I do (including those that say I help them to fall asleep!).

Peter
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

There are some who have talent in oceans. (Looking at you, Peter.)

And there are others of us who have maybe only a small bucketful.

You learn to discount those who would jostle your elbow. .

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

Oh yeah, that has to be disheartening.
I sometimes look into Librivox's YT channel and if it's any consolation, people rarely comment on the videos at all and if they do, they seem to be slightly more likely to leave a negative comment in general: An American shouldn't read a British story, terrible reading, I thought this was going to be a factual text but it's fictionalised, so I'm out, I can't with that reader's voice (and then a detailed description of all that the commenter hated), etc.
Positive comments are rarer and often are much less detailed than the negative ones - "Great, thank you', etc.
Only few videos get a lot of feedback, especially those of some readers that you will also find in the thank you thread a lot (Peter, I think I've seen you mentioned in that thread a bunch!).
I don't have a solution or advice to offer, just an observation that the order in which feedback most likely comes is 1) not at all (listener doesn't divulge their thoughts), 2) negative, 3) positive.
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
Epachuko

Post by Epachuko »

Peter Why wrote: February 17th, 2023, 2:52 am I occasionally look on youtube for comments about any of my recordings that have been posted there ... and occasionally thank the listener. But I couldn't resist answering this listener to my Ghost Stories of an Antiquary.

@garymurphy4165
4 days ago
Great! Yet another librivox abomination. When will these amateurs cease butchering the classics?

Peter Why
So kind. We are reading and recording primarily for our own pleasure; then make the recordings available to others to listen to, if they wish to. I make recordings that I would wish to hear, myself. Please do feel free to make recordings which suit your ear better. Peter Yearsley
Great answer Peter!! I take off my hat, Librivox is a great idea, and a better hobby, thanks for sharing, for having your ideas clear and polished and for keep on librivoxing :thumbs:
Grabaciones de Epachuko
Colabora leyendo secciones en español con nosotros en el foro Readers Wanted Languages other than English Recuerdos de mi vida (Ramón y Cajal) El Periquillo Sarniento- Cuentos valencianos - Primer romancero gitano
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

I don't usually take much stock in social media comments (and others), for the simple reason that I'm somewhat selfish in that I record what I like the way I like it, even if I'm the only one on the planet that likes it. :D

It's nice to get positive comments, and I take negative comments with a grain of salt, but they are not the be all and end all of why I volunteer here and make my recordings public. My enjoyment in this endeavor takes priority.

FWIW,
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I strive for the best, and give my best, and know that I am not the best, nor would I want to, or try to. Everyone has different skills and likes. The reason I record is because it is fun here, and I enjoy doing what I do, and thousands of others also enjoy LV. If I help bring joy to someone, that's all I can strive for. Even if 30 people thought I sounded bad, if 1 person told me they liked listening to my voice, I would do it for them.

That person who made that comment must not understand choice of voice.

You do very well Peter, and I have enjoyed your recordings for many years. Keep up the amazing work. :D
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you all.

I think, as I said, it's the fact that there are people that are willing to behave like that, that I find most disturbing.

Oh, well, we're all different.

I'm just glad that this community works so well. Shared love of books ... no Fahrenheit 451 for us!

Peter
jmac698

Post by jmac698 »

I find the comments interesting, good and bad. It's hard to find a good source of opinions on voices. I researched this, and the only thing I could find was that a baritone voice with content below 80 Hz universally rated higher in attractiveness.

I'd like to set up a survey someday with voice samples that vary in different ways and have people rate them.

The only thing I've been able to find out by interviewing friends is that they didn't seem too picky, that they usually hate computer or monotone voices, and they like it when each character is distinct, as knowing who is speaking helps with following the story.

The best rated voices on Audible seem to use interpretation and emotion for the characters.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

I am frequently criticized on YouTube for not being a British male.

Other negative comments have helped me to pick up the pace of my recordings and to not be reluctant to be more expressive in reading.

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

pnagami wrote: August 2nd, 2023, 9:21 am I am frequently criticized on YouTube for not being a British male.

Pam
You mean you're not?

My very first Section (in a group project) inspired - "what's a woman doing reading Tom [sic] Boswell?". And even worse "a woman with a strange harsh accent".

I'm a sensitive little plant so it's as well I didn't see it at the time.

Barbara
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Everyone knows us Aussies don't have accents, everyone else does :D ........ well Queenslanders do talk a bit funny like :hmm:

I did get a review that said I had ''an authentic Australian accent" once - I decided to take it as a compliment :D

Anne
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

annise wrote: August 6th, 2023, 5:10 pm Everyone knows us Aussies don't have accents, everyone else does :D ........ well Queenslanders do talk a bit funny like :hmm:

[snip]

Anne
Yeah. I've got to give you that. You should have heard it before I went away to boarding school. Hilariously, I read that American kids are mimicking the Queensland accent as a result of the amazing success of "Bluey".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/29/bluey-australia-kids-show-language/

Barbara