FULL [DR] The Great Quest by Hawes - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

The Great Quest, by Charles Boardman Hawes (1889 - 1923)
A 1922 Newbery Honor Book, The Great Quest is a rollicking young-adult high-seas adventure tale set in 1826, with suspense and intrigue thrown in. Hawes uses symbolic names and just punishment in this anti-slave-trade morality story, which, ironically, also reveals the coinciding covert racism that was common at the time of writing. This youth literature would make a good springboard for directed discussion about that topic. Full-cast reading. (Summary by Scott Caulkins)
Source text (please do Final DPL only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/40265

Folder of chapter scripts: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cZpqAsWhLXcH7LES8Rlrcn2qP9l1DBcr?usp=sharing (relevant scripts will be linked in the MW for your convenience)

There is no need to double roles with this book.

Narrator: ej400
Parts PL and editing: LCaulkins
Final DPL: redrun

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special: Final-DPL will need to be done while watching the text, to ensure that no lines have been left out or scrambled out of order. Word-perfect is not requested.
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: VTvfx6XW
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Boardman_Hawes (Charles Boardman Hawes)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Quest
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 151
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1920
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure; Children's Fiction; Action & Adventure Fiction; Dramatic Readings; Nautical & Marine Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: adventure, nautical, Mystery, New England, africa, missionary, marine, betrayal, slave trade, newbery, sailing ships, newbery award, slaver

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per chapter. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter ## of The Great Quest (1922 Newbery Award), by Charles Boardman Hawes. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Chapter ##."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of [DR] The Great Quest (1922 Newbery Award), by Charles Boardman Hawes."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: thegreatquest_role_##.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. thegreatquest_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: thegreatquest_##_hawes_128kb.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. thegreatquest_1_hawes_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by SCaulkins on August 5th, 2023, 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scott
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

Hearts of Three will be entering the Edit phase as soon as Lynette gets Whose Body finished for Ciufi, so I'd like to start another adventure book for a full cast reading.

I have an editor, a narrator, and my wife (LCaulkins) will do DPL of parts.

I will record Captain North.
Last edited by SCaulkins on February 15th, 2023, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

checking in for DPL and that dastardly fiend, Matterson
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I’ll set this and MC.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

MW ready.

I changed the filenames to not include dr and 1922 newberry award - I left the award in the intro.

Do you want chapter instead of act in the intro/outros?

Thanks, Todd
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

Thank you, Todd. Nice to have a familiar face.

Appreciate the help on the file name, and will address the intro while I'm putting in the extra links for scripts, etc.
Scott
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

I would like claim Cornelius Gleazen please.
Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

All yours!
Scott
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

loaded, thanks.

Todd, I will add the final chapter sections tomorrow. All characters are set up in the MW, so this can go to the live board.
Scott
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I read Uncle Seth?

Thanks, Todd
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

Glad to have you
Scott
RacingHippo

Post by RacingHippo »

Ooh!
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the bit-parts I filled in on Hearts of Three, and rather wished I'd joined when there was a bigger part available.....

I can certainly do an outrageous French accent. Pretty sure I can tame it enough for Arnold Lamont :)
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

RacingHippo wrote: February 18th, 2023, 9:24 am Ooh!
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the bit-parts I filled in on Hearts of Three, and rather wished I'd joined when there was a bigger part available.....

I can certainly do an outrageous French accent. Pretty sure I can tame it enough for Arnold Lamont :)
Excellent. Appreciate the help
Scott