Footnotes, figures, and other weird items [in launch template]

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Hi,
I’ve been doing a lot of forum reading over the last few months.
How much work would it be to add fields to the project launch form? Would it be worth it to add fields regarding how to read footnotes, captions (mostly ignore!), and other weird things? It also seems like the dramatic reading template would benefit from a designated area for rules about multiple roles and whether the roles are gender neutral.
It seems like there’s a lot of discussion that goes on later in the threads…multiple times, because there’s not the standard formatted place.
On the other hand, perhaps it’s too much work—which I can respect!
Just an idea.
Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

My strategy has been to create a 'special notes' section as can be seen here.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

How much work would it be to add fields to the project launch form?
It's a LOT of work, more than one would think. Besides the programming it in, we'd need to get all of the elements (the form wording, options, and results) in all the languages our templates support.

It's an intriguing idea, though. We can add it to the (quite long) list of things to improve someday. :P

The first step would be to determine what to SAY (how to phrase the question in the template, what the pick-list answers would be, and how the results would display in the post).
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

That makes sense. I’ll try to brainstorm some more ideas at some hour when I’m not working.

Here are some ideas off the top of my head, and realizing these will need to be reworked to fit whatever constraints there are…and that some more experienced volunteers may have strong opinions about the wording!

How should readers approach footnotes in this work?
—Please read all footnotes at the end of the sentence they’re in. Say “footnote” at the beginning and “end footnote” at the end.
—Please ignore footnotes that only give citations. Please read all other footnotes at the end of the sentence they’re in. Say “footnote” at the beginning and “end footnote” at the end.
—Please ignore all footnotes.
—It is up to the reader whether to include footnotes (and which footnotes to include).
—There shouldn’t be any footnotes—N/A
—Other (with a text space? Or however it is that “Special” PL is handled)

Should in-text headings be read?
—Please read all in-text headings.
—Please ignore all in-text headings.
—Other (specify)
—N/A

For possible addition to the dramatic readings:

May a reader claim multiple roles?
—Roles are not being doubled at this time.
—Readers may claim multiple roles as long as they aren’t in the same chapters or acts.
—Other (specify)

Are roles gender-neutral?
—Roles are gender neutral.
—Roles are gender specific.
—Some roles are gender neutral and others are gender specific. See the Magic Window for more information on each role.
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

stepheather wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 12:26 am Hi,
I’ve been doing a lot of forum reading over the last few months.
How much work would it be to add fields to the project launch form? Would it be worth it to add fields regarding how to read footnotes, captions (mostly ignore!), and other weird things? It also seems like the dramatic reading template would benefit from a designated area for rules about multiple roles and whether the roles are gender neutral.
It seems like there’s a lot of discussion that goes on later in the threads…multiple times, because there’s not the standard formatted place.
On the other hand, perhaps it’s too much work—which I can respect!
Just an idea.
Thanks,
Stephanie
There are so many possible variations among projects that I think it makes little sense to create a more complicated and cluttered template. IF there are special reading instructions, then it is quite easy for the BC to add them, and if they are common for they type of project they do, then they can create their own "templates" to use and paste in as appropriate.

If I were to choose a new template to have on the launch pad, it would be one for poetry projects where we commonly use a shortened disclaimer. But, again, it's not a big deal of a BC to make the necessary alterations.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I agree with inthedesert. The more we add to the template the more likely there are to be mistakes. The template is meant to ensure that all the information needed to catalogue the project is there.

Anne
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

In the same spirit as given. :mrgreen:

It does seem that putting in every variation for every type of work would quickly get complicated, but as a reader, I'd appreciate having a standard place to look for whatever isn't standard in a given project. Otherwise, I'm re-reading information which is always the same... except on the few projects where it isn't.

InTheDesert's strategy seems very useful, especially if it became the norm. Perhaps if just this were in the template - say, a general "Coordinator's Notes" or "Special Instructions" box, which, if you enter anything, would show up just below the book summary?
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

redrun wrote: December 16th, 2022, 5:49 pm Perhaps if just this were in the template - say, a general "Coordinator's Notes" or "Special Instructions" box, which, if you enter anything, would show up just below the book summary?
That's a good idea and it seems fairly easy to implement.

Personally, of course, I would like to see this above or below the MW, so I can plan my recordings accordingly (the footnote part)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Availle wrote: December 16th, 2022, 6:23 pm Personally, of course, I would like to see this above or below the MW, so I can plan my recordings accordingly (the footnote part)
The reason I snuck it into the intro quote box was it was the one place I could guarantee it would be read. The green text here right above the MW is large and bold but for some reason, it just gets lost to me in the sea of large colored text around the MW.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It makes sense to put it where you did - if those "Special Notes" pertain to the reading of footnotes/book numbers/character names/whatnot. If it's about the claims like gender-accurate/neutral in a dramatic work, it's too late.

I guess it depends on how the individual reader/BC approaches the project. I never read beyond the MW when I'm claiming, and rarely above it when I'm recording. :lol:

What I'm saying is that it will not be possible to make everybody happy with a fixed template. You can, of course, always change the template according to your needs - but you know that already. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Actually, I think one place WOULD help me, at least. It wouldn’t necessarily help new readers as much, but having one place to go look for those special notes—rather than the entirety of the first post or anywhere in the entire thread—would be helpful. I actually makes me a touch anxious when I’m trying to find the instructions and can’t—are they just there and I’m missing them? And then there are dramatic projects where roles are opened up for doubling on, say, page 8/12 in the thread or something…
The search feature helps some, but still.
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes