SOLO [FINNISH] Satuja ja tarinoita I by H. C. Andersen - kaz

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cygnaeus wrote: July 20th, 2022, 1:44 pmas always thank you very much for the comments. Problems with both sections should now be fixed. I was not sure what status I am supposed to give these proof-listened and edited files, so I put 'Ready for PL' just in case.
actually it should be put into "Ready for Spot PL" after corrections, that signals I only have to listen to those spots I mentioned in my notes and you did not re-record it all from scratch so I would need to listen to it all again.

Both sections are now Spot PL ok :)
The finnish ä is quite close (at least to my ear) to the two first sounds in words 'an apple'
ok it's quite a short ä then, indeed the German ä is longer dragged out, like the sound in the English "fairy"
the section number nine is now read for listening. I think that I will read the shorter stories first from now on in order to get some practice before moving on to the longer ones.
yes the order in which you do them is not important. And that way you get the shorter ones out of the way already.

This was the emperor's new clothes I suppose, a classic. I only needed to guess at the word "keisar" in the title and I was on the right track :lol:

Only a few small spots to note:

> at 3:41: stumble and repeat, can get cut once: "Oi tätä mallia ja näitä"

> at 4:37: "Eikö kangas ole kaunista" – I hear "ole kin kaunas", just want to make sure this doesn't change the meaning

> at 4:56: "sitten hän yltyi kehumaan kangasta, jota ei hän nähnyt" – at the end a few words are missing, I only hear "kangasta ei vai nähnyt" – just want to make sure the missing words are not important for the completed sentence

> at 5:28: repeat, one version can get cut: "Miehet kutoivat minkä jaksoivat, mutta ilman loimia ja kuteita."

> at 9:13: "Kuinka kaunis laahustin viitassa on" – you omitted "kuinka", not sure whether you need the word for the correct comprehension of the sentence

thanks

Sonia
Cygnaeus

Post by Cygnaeus »

Thank you a lot again, I can't believe I missed and left so many retakes in the recording this time.
> at 4:56: "sitten hän yltyi kehumaan kangasta, jota ei hän nähnyt" – at the end a few words are missing, I only hear "kangasta ei vai nähnyt" – just want to make sure the missing words are not important for the completed sentence
I dropped the word hän (eng. he) here, but luckily it is not grammatically incorrect or even strange in finnish. :D
> at 9:13: "Kuinka kaunis laahustin viitassa on" – you omitted "kuinka", not sure whether you need the word for the correct comprehension of the sentence
I rerecorded this sentence complitely. I hope it doesn't stand out too much from the track.

Until next time :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cygnaeus wrote: July 30th, 2022, 2:39 am
I rerecorded this sentence complitely. I hope it doesn't stand out too much from the track.
no it sounds quite good, excellently patched in. :thumbs:

Just one question:

> at 4:33: "Eikö kangas ole kaunista" – I still hear "ole kin kaunas" did you miss this one or is it not important ? :hmm:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah I see a new chapter is up and I didn't find any textual errors this time.

Only two small notes for section 6:

> at 4:48: just to make sure, as I don't know the cardinal numbers in Finnish: do you say end of section 6 at the end ? It doesn't sound like section 6 at the beginning (I hear "hydeksanes" or something similar while in the beginning I hear "kuudes") :hmm:

> at the end: you have 43 seconds of silence :shock: ! please cut down to the standard 5

thanks

Sonia
Cygnaeus

Post by Cygnaeus »

Hi :D
> at 4:33: "Eikö kangas ole kaunista" – I still hear "ole kin kaunas" did you miss this one or is it not important ? :hmm:
Sorry, I forgot to comment this, but this was luckily only a minor error that doesn't change the meaning of the sentance.
> at 4:48: just to make sure, as I don't know the cardinal numbers in Finnish: do you say end of section 6 at the end ? It doesn't sound like section 6 at the beginning (I hear "hydeksanes" or something similar while in the beginning I hear "kuudes") :hmm:
Great catch, I had accidently left the endly unchanged from the previous reading. :roll: It shoud now be rerecorded with the correct amount of silence in the end.

All the best,
Tuomas
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cygnaeus wrote: July 30th, 2022, 6:22 amSorry, I forgot to comment this, but this was luckily only a minor error that doesn't change the meaning of the sentance.
ok then this can be marked PL ok.
Great catch, I had accidently left the endly unchanged from the previous reading. :roll: It shoud now be rerecorded with the correct amount of silence in the end.
good thing I mentioned it :lol: now it definitely sounds similar to the number in the intro. Also PL ok

As for Section 11, I only found one deviation from the text which I better mention so you can check the meaning:

> at 0:45: "ympäröivät sädekehänä" - the first word is definitely different, something like "säkenöva" ? :hmm:

thank you and enjoy your Sunday

Sonia
Cygnaeus

Post by Cygnaeus »

Thank you again, this was indeed a clear error. It should be fixed in the recording now. The original phrase meant something like 'surronded it like a halo', which somehow became 'shined like a halo' in my mind while I was reading. :roll:

Until next time,
Tuomas
Cygnaeus

Post by Cygnaeus »

Hi,

fairytale number 12 is now ready for PL as well. :D I am a bit suprise how fast things have been going, but I am sure that this would not have happened without this amazing level of support that I've gotten so far. I really apprieciate it.

Secondly, I have been thinking a bit about the structuring of fairytale number 10: Onnettaren kalossit. It is much longer than the other stories so far (~1 hour I believe) and it has been divided into six subchapter in the original text. What do you guys think would be best: to read the whole thing in a single track as originally intended, read each subchapter into its own track and add the subchapter numbering to each title, or maybe something inbetween, where title be something like "Onnettaren kalossit, chap. 1-2" etc.

All the best,
Tuomas
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cygnaeus wrote: August 15th, 2022, 3:12 pmfairytale number 12 is now ready for PL as well. :D I am a bit suprise how fast things have been going, but I am sure that this would not have happened without this amazing level of support that I've gotten so far. I really apprieciate it.
you are really keeping a good pace, the project is indeed going very well :)

And sections 11 and 12 are totally PL ok. :thumbs: Great that you didn't forget the end of book disclaimer in this one. I was on the lookout for that one :lol:
Secondly, I have been thinking a bit about the structuring of fairytale number 10: Onnettaren kalossit. It is much longer than the other stories so far (~1 hour I believe) and it has been divided into six subchapter in the original text. What do you guys think would be best: to read the whole thing in a single track as originally intended, read each subchapter into its own track and add the subchapter numbering to each title, or maybe something inbetween, where title be something like "Onnettaren kalossit, chap. 1-2" etc.
the maximum section length allowed is 74 minutes I think. Section 10 has about 7400 words, I guess you could fit it inside one section. If it's longer it needs to be split.

But careful, the section numbers 11 and 12 will then turn into 12 and 13 and you need to re-record the intro and outro then :? So I would opt, if possible to keep it in one section.

Sonia
Cygnaeus

Post by Cygnaeus »

Hi again,

fairy tale number is now ready for PL. :D

I'll try to record the section number 10 in one take next. We'll see then if it fits inside the time limit or not, but you are probably right that the 1 section equals 1 fairy tale policy is best if possible.

Until next time,
Tuomas
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cygnaeus wrote: September 11th, 2022, 6:03 am I'll try to record the section number 10 in one take next. We'll see then if it fits inside the time limit or not, but you are probably right that the 1 section equals 1 fairy tale policy is best if possible.
yes I would also do it one story per section, even if there is a bigger one.

And I just listened to the Flowers of Little Ida, I knew that story already. Sweet and sad.

Just found three spots that you could recheck and correct if it changes the meaning:

> at 10:05: repeat, first word can be cut once: "Soittokoneen ääressä istui suuri"

> at 12:58: "Nyt nousi Sofia ja katseli kummissaan ympärilleen." - I hear something like "silon" as the first word and "ja" seems to be missing

> at 13:01: "Täällä näkyy olevan tanssiaiset!" – the two middle words are different, more something like "taitürra"

thanks

Sonia
Cygnaeus

Post by Cygnaeus »

Hi again,

thank you for the comments to Flower of Little Ida. I'll seek to fix these issues later this weekend.

Secondly, I just downloaded the Onnettaren Kalossit section, which turned out to be 65 minutes in total. :D It was quite a mouthful to read and I have to admit that I was a bit tired in the end, so there might be more errors to spot than usual. I'd like to apologize for that in advance.

Only three more to go. :-)

Wishing you a wonderful weekend,
Tuomas
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cygnaeus wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 1:33 pmSecondly, I just downloaded the Onnettaren Kalossit section, which turned out to be 65 minutes in total.
:shock: yes that was indeed long for one story. But it seems to be in some chapters, were they all separate stories or one big story ? :hmm: But you managed in one section, so great :thumbs: No all the others are surely shorter.

I started yesterday evening and finished this morning. It was also very difficult for me to concentrate so long on a text in a language I don't understand :? But I hope I found all the differences, here are my notes. As always, I let you decided whether it changes the meaning and needs to be corrected:

> in the beginning we recommend not exceeding 0.5 to 1 second of silence, you have over 2, this is too long before the recording starts, please cut this down to 1 maximum

> at 5:26: repeat, can be cut once: "Linnan torille vievää siltaa ei löytynyt mistään"

> at 7:54: repeat, can get cut once: "Sen minä vielä sanon kun sanonkin tirehtöörin rouvalle"

> at 16:12: "Taivaan luoja" - you say "kiitos"

> from 16:51 to 16:53: between "viisaasti tehty" and "III. Yövartian seikkailu" - nearly 3 seconds is a bit long, even between chapters, I would cut to under 2 here

> at 35:16: repeat, can be cut once: "Epäilemättä löytyisi kunnollisiakin puoteja! Niin"

> at 35:29: "se onkin sen puodin ainoa varjopuoli" - you say "se an on" if I'm not mistaken

> at 40:08: "ja vienyt jalassaan sairashuoneelle" - I don't hear the last word but something else entirely and then "jalassaan" at the end

> at 44:44: "ja seisahtui samassa äkkiä" - the last two words are different I think

> at 49:40: repeat, can be cut once: "Hän löi lintua nokkaan"

> at 54:34: Sinun metsissäsi on varmaan kylmä - I hear something else than "varmaan"

> at 1:01:03: missing word: [Snarleyyow], mikä pojista oli sokea - maybe not important since it's in brackets, but you read other words in brackets so I wanted to note it down anyway

thanks

Sonia
Cygnaeus

Post by Cygnaeus »

Hello again Sonia,
yes, it was a very long story. Thank you for listening it though anyway. :-) It had several different stories, where different people come into possesion of magical boots which grant all wishes that the person wearing them says or thinks about. Naturally everyone ends up either shocked or worse off in one way or another. In the end there is a short instructive epilogy.

Both previous fairytayles are now ready for PL sorry for taking so to get here.

Flowers of Little Ida
at 10:05: repeat, first word can be cut once: "Soittokoneen ääressä istui suuri"
>
Fixed.
> at 12:58: "Nyt nousi Sofia ja katseli kummissaan ympärilleen." - I hear something like "silon" as the first word and "ja" seems to be missing
> at 13:01: "Täällä näkyy olevan tanssiaiset!" – the two middle words are different, more something like "taitürra"
The meaning is not wrong here, but only a bit off, so I decided to rerecord the whole chapter. I hope it is not too obvious when you listen to it.

Onnettaren Kalossit
> in the beginning we recommend not exceeding 0.5 to 1 second of silence, you have over 2, this is too long before the recording starts, please cut this down to 1 maximum
Sorry, I have no idea how I manage to always forget to cut the recording from the beginning.
> at 5:26: repeat, can be cut once: "Linnan torille vievää siltaa ei löytynyt mistään"

> at 7:54: repeat, can get cut once: "Sen minä vielä sanon kun sanonkin tirehtöörin rouvalle"
Fixed
> at 16:12: "Taivaan luoja" - you say "kiitos"
Meaning changes from literally 'creator of heaven' ('oh God' in this context) to "God's thank", so not much. The phrase is a bit unusual, but nothing weird or out of place for an old book.
> from 16:51 to 16:53: between "viisaasti tehty" and "III. Yövartian seikkailu" - nearly 3 seconds is a bit long, even between chapters, I would cut to under 2 here
Fixed
> at 35:16: repeat, can be cut once: "Epäilemättä löytyisi kunnollisiakin puoteja! Niin"
Fixed.
> at 35:29: "se onkin sen puodin ainoa varjopuoli" - you say "se an on" if I'm not mistaken
'se onkin' become 'sehän on', which lucky doesn't change the meaning.
> at 40:08: "ja vienyt jalassaan sairashuoneelle" - I don't hear the last word but something else entirely and then "jalassaan" at the end
Here I have flipped 'sairashuoneelle' and 'jalassaan', and swithed the word sairashuone (hospital) to a modern variant 'sairaala'. It would have been nice to include the old variant there, so it's an unfortunate mistake, but not too bad.
> at 44:44: "ja seisahtui samassa äkkiä" - the last two words are different I think
Original meaning is "and he stopped walking suppendlyat once". 'samassa äkkiä' (at once + suddenly/rapidly) somehow become 'äkkiä siinä' (suddenly + there (ie. in the the spot where he stopped walking)). Meaning and tone stay the same fortunately.
> at 49:40: repeat, can be cut once: "Hän löi lintua nokkaan"
Fixed
> at 54:34: Sinun metsissäsi on varmaan kylmä - I hear something else than "varmaan"
Original meaning: 'In your forests it is surely very cold'. Varmaan ('surely') become kyllä (yes), which is not grammatically incorrect. New version is something like 'Yes, in your forrests it is indeed very cold.' I'd say it can stay.
> at 1:01:03: missing word: [Snarleyyow], mikä pojista oli sokea - maybe not important since it's in brackets, but you read other words in brackets so I wanted to note it down anyway
This is a good question. Snarleyyow was apperently a 18th century writer, so I think that the quotation in the previous sentance is from his book. I am not sure about this, maybe it could be left out in a childrens' book, but I'd love to know how you feel.

Lastly, I've got to say, I think that you did an excellent job noticing also several small mistakes that I did, so I am pretty confident that there is nothing major left unnotied.

Until next time,
Tuomas
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cygnaeus wrote: October 17th, 2022, 1:54 pm
The meaning is not wrong here, but only a bit off, so I decided to rerecord the whole chapter. I hope it is not too obvious when you listen to it.
by "chapter" I hope you only meant this paragraph :? Otherwise I would have to check the whole section again. Please confirm. In that case, it's excellently corrected and PL ok.
Snarleyyow was apperently a 18th century writer, so I think that the quotation in the previous sentance is from his book. I am not sure about this, maybe it could be left out in a childrens' book, but I'd love to know how you feel.
:hmm: hmm I only find a book by Marryat under that name in google. Is it a Finnish writer ? I guess we can leave the name out since it's in brackets and could count as footnote.

Also PL ok then.

Thanks

Sonia