Audacity Control Buttons: Any way to stop the sticky?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
hermione.spam

Post by hermione.spam »

Hello everyone, a newbie here. I've just downloaded Audacity recently, and I've had the darndest time with its control buttons (record, playback, rewind, etc). They respond to my clicking on them maybe 2 times out of 13. Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so, is there a way around it?

I have a six year old iBook (devoted little compy she is) running 10.4.9, and I downloaded Audacity v. 1.2.6.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I have trouble getting Audacity to respond to the Stop button on first click, but I've just persisted. It may be a recognised fault; have a look at the forum on the Audacity site.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Planish

Post by Planish »

When I used Audacity 1.2.4 (version 1.2.6 would crash frequently for me so I kept v1.2.4) it was very slow to respond to many of the controls and some of the Edit menuitems would be greyed out, immediately after hitting Stop of Pause while playing a selection. Slightly less delay if I let it finish playing the selection on its own. The level meter display would be frozen for the duration too.

This might continue for anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds, even for very short selections. Once it finished doing whatever it was doing, the meters cleared, and it would be fine. Oddly enough, I could always make a new selection, or zoom in and out, even while the transport controls were frozen.

Activity Monitor app. revealed that the CPU would be maxed out during this temporary freeze.

When I started using Audacity 1.3.3 (beta) the controls became much more responsive, with only about a 2 second delay after a Stop or Pause. Only once has it ever crashed in the few weeks I've been using it. (And spectacularly, too, wiping out all of the the 1 MB project data files that had been Saved up to that point.)

I'm using what was originally a 300 MHz Powermac "Blue & White" G3 tower, but with a third-party 1 GHz G4 processor upgrade. Mac OS X version 10.4.9

For me, the improved responsiveness makes it worth the risk of a crash. I usually save the project frequently anyway, out of habit.
There is no frigate like a book / To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page / Of prancing poetry.
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

I had a similar problem when I tried to run Audacity 1.2.6 on my 8 year old powerbook which is also running 10.4.9. I think in the end the decision was really that my powerbook doesn't have the processing power to cope with audacity, hence why audacity was so slow to respond.

As a newer machine will be expensive, then you may want to try Planish's suggestion of using a different version of audacity, and as Robert Scott says it would probably be best to close as many programs as possible when trying to record.
[size=92][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=684]My LV Projects[/url] | Like Arthurian legend? Why not try [u][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15518]Le Mort d'Arthur Vol 2[/url][/u]?[/size]