Can't browse catalog backward (previous page)

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

For five or more years when looking for the previous search page I usually -- but not invariably -- get redirected to either the catalog page starting with "Boy, The Wandering Dog" and always including among early listings "The $30,000 Bequest" (Twain) or the page whose first listing is "1891 Collection," followed by "El 18 de Marzo..." and other projects with "18."

This in unrelated to computer, phone, operating system, browser, connection strength, or the page I'm trying to go back from.

Any ideas?

8-) Kirsten
– Kirsten

A person who won't read* has no advantage over one who can't. – Twain

* or at least listen!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That seems to be the way it works - I don't think it is anything to do with you or your systems.

Anne
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Anne,

Are you serious? Do you mean that you, too, when browsing and hitting the back page button, are .... USUALLY BUT NOT ALWAYS ...... redirected to the 1891 Collection or Boy, the Wandering Dog?

But then why not ALWAYS?

Ideas?
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kirsten Wever wrote: November 18th, 2021, 8:13 pm For five or more years when looking for the previous search page I usually -- but not invariably -- get redirected to either the catalog page starting with "Boy, The Wandering Dog" and always including among early listings "The $30,000 Bequest" (Twain) or the page whose first listing is "1891 Collection," followed by "El 18 de Marzo..." and other projects with "18."

This in unrelated to computer, phone, operating system, browser, connection strength, or the page I'm trying to go back from.

Any ideas?

8-) Kirsten
What's the "previous search page" that you're looking for? Is it 'page 3' of the results now that you're on page 4? Or is it the previous thing you typed into the search box?
Show these buried projects some love!
Pascal and the Port Royalists Intellectual biography
A Review of Ecclesiastical History (John Newton)
John Inglesant
DPL DPL
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Kirsten Wever wrote: November 18th, 2021, 8:28 pm Anne,

Are you serious? Do you mean that you, too, when browsing and hitting the back page button, are .... USUALLY BUT NOT ALWAYS ...... redirected to the 1891 Collection or Boy, the Wandering Dog?

But then why not ALWAYS?

Ideas?
Yes I think so , you need to click the previous page number - I hate scrolling down so I wish that the page number showed at the top of the page as well as the bottom.

Anne
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

I see. Now you mention it, the problem never happens when I click a page number, at the bottom of the page.

But so many searches don't involve page numbers. In fact, I think most of my browsing doesn't ever get me to a place where there are more pages than one, or where I am interested in going deeper than the first page I get to.

Forgive me for rambling about matters that probably irritate you, too. But I'm hoping that someone out there in LV land will find more work arounds or have more insights.

Thanks, Anne
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

As I recall these are both on the bug list. Two things that we ran out of time at the end of the Mellon Grant effort back in 2013. The back button does work properly sometimes. Other times it does what you describe.

The page with "Boy the Wandering Dog" is the first page of titles sorted alphabetically. The 1891 collection is the second page.

Rather than contend with the vagaries of the back button, I usually just use the search box to navigate, which obviously doesn't work if you are just browsing.
Jo
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Thanks so much.

Very helpful to get this clarification. Also glad to know I'm not the only one, began to worry about myself a bit.

Kirsten
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!