COMPLETE: Modern Woman's Rights Movement by K. Schirmacher -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

The Modern Woman's Rights Movement, A Historical Survey by Käthe Schirmacher (1865 - 1930), translated by Carl Conrad Eckhardt (1878 - 1946)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/modern-womans-rights-movement-by-kaethe-schirmacher/

A history of the international woman’s rights movements originally published in 1905 and updated in 1909; English translation published in 1912. A lot has been written about the woman’s suffrage movements in the United States and England, but this book is unique in that it includes, in addition, chapters on the international woman's rights efforts in countries across North American, Europe, Africa and Asia.
"The facts contained in this volume do not require of me any prefatory observations on the theoretical justification of the woman’s rights movement. From the remotest time man has tried to rule her who ought to be comrade and colleague to him. By virtue of the law of might he generally succeeded. Every protest against this law of might was a “woman’s rights movement.”
"A just and happy relationship of the sexes is dependent upon mutuality, coördination, and the complementary relations of man and woman,—not upon the subordination of woman and the predominance of man. Woman, in her peculiar sphere, is entirely the equal of man in his. The origin of the international woman’s rights movement is found in the world-wide disregard of this elementary truth." (Summary by knotyouraveragejo with quotes from the preface)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33700 - Note: please read footnotes that add interesting information where they occur in the text. Simple bibliographical citations or references to other publications should be skipped. Some of the shorter sections have been combined as noted in the MW below.

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History

Keywords that describe the book: woman's rights, woman suffrage, history or woman suffrage movement, international council of women, woman’s rights movement

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Modern Woman's Rights Movement. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Modern Woman's Rights Movement, by Käthe Schirmacher, translated by Carl Conrad Eckhardt. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and only if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Modern Woman's Rights Movement, by Käthe Schirmacher, translated by Carl Conrad Eckhardt."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: womansrights_##_schirmacher_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. womansrights_01_schirmacher_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Rdady for reader claims. A DPL would be most welcome!
Jo
julieop

Post by julieop »

I would like to claim sections 1 and 2 if this is available for narration.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Julie. Thanks for your interest in this project and welcome to LibriVox.

I can assign you those sections, but we ask that all new readers first complete and get an OK on a one-minute test to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to simply confirm that your files meet our requirements. Post your test in the Listeners Wanted Forum and an experienced LVer will have a listen and check the specs for you.  It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.  

Even if you are experienced with recording elsewhere, please send in a short test recording to check that all the technical settings meet LibriVox requirements before recording a full chapter.

1-Minute Test

Also please let me know by what name you would like to be credited in the catalog. This can be your forum name, real name or another pseudonym.
Jo
julieop

Post by julieop »

Thank you! I will post my one minute test. I had asked for Sections 1 and 2, not the preface. Is it still possible to sign up for those two? I could do the preface as well, but am looking for a bit more a challenge.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

My mistake, Julie. 1 and 2 it is.
Jo
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

May I claim the preface and the summary..

BettyB
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks Betty. I've put you in for those two sections.
Jo
julieop

Post by julieop »

Hello Jo!

I have posted my one minute test and am awaiting feedback. Fingers crossed!
Here is the link. https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_julieop.mp3

Once I have the greenlight, I will move forward with my recording for this audiobook section. My credit name is Julie Johnsrud

Thanks,
:D
Julie
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Looks like you are good to go, Julie. I agree with the advice you received. I would also recommend deamplifying after recording or lowering you input volume closer to the target 89 db.

I've added your catalog name to the database. You can see this on your catalog page at https://librivox.org/reader/16813

If you click on the link for Reader Section Details below your username you will find a summary table showing the status of all the sections that you have signed up to read in open projects.  Click on any of the thread titles in this list to navigate to the thread on the forum.
Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi jo,

could I please read 18, 19, 42 (for now) ;-)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
julieop

Post by julieop »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: November 1st, 2021, 9:15 pm Looks like you are good to go, Julie. I agree with the advice you received. I would also recommend deamplifying after recording or lowering you input volume closer to the target 89 db.

I've added your catalog name to the database. You can see this on your catalog page at https://librivox.org/reader/16813

If you click on the link for Reader Section Details below your username you will find a summary table showing the status of all the sections that you have signed up to read in open projects.  Click on any of the thread titles in this list to navigate to the thread on the forum.
Thank you so much for this feedback and being so specific! I will make these changes.
And thank for the other info. :D

Julie
julieop

Post by julieop »

How would you like us to identify the chapters, since each section is a separate section within each chapter?
For example, for section 2, would you like me to intro with just
“…translated by Carl Conrad Eckhardt. The United States of America, Part 1.”
Or, would you prefer,
“…translated by Carl Conrad Eckhardt. Chapter 1, The Germanic Countries, The United States of America, Part 1”
since this is still within Chapter 1.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Availle wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 12:53 am Hi jo,

could I please read 18, 19, 42 (for now) ;-)
All yours, Ava. Thanks!
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

julieop wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 9:26 am How would you like us to identify the chapters, since each section is a separate section within each chapter?
For example, for section 2, would you like me to intro with just
“…translated by Carl Conrad Eckhardt. The United States of America, Part 1.”
Or, would you prefer,
“…translated by Carl Conrad Eckhardt. Chapter 1, The Germanic Countries, The United States of America, Part 1”
since this is still within Chapter 1.
The section title should always be exactly as in the MW, as in your first example.
"Section 2 of The Modern Woman's Rights Movement. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Modern Woman's Rights Movement, by Käthe Schirmacher, translated by Carl Conrad Eckhardt. The United States of America, Part 1.
Jo