Grateful for the Insomnia Collections!

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Like many of my fellow Americans, my anxiety level has been ratcheting up daily as the election approaches, and it's been really hard to stop "doomscrolling" on social media and settle down and relax and fall asleep.

First, I'm really grateful for Librivox in general as a project (a bunch of projects) I can throw myself into that are demanding of my attention but not overwhelmingly so, because 2020 as a whole has been an anxiety-fest and doing work for LV a welcome respite.

But especially lately, as sleep becomes ever more elusive (I'm REALLY hoping Tuesday is some kind of resolution to this :help: ) the Insomnia Collections are the BOMB. Since the whole idea of is to knock me out, I perversely challenge myself to stay awake as long as possible while closely following with my full attention, whatever soothing inanity is being read. I'm happy to say that I lose every time, and fairly quickly, and since I lose my challenge, I win my much-needed zzzz's.

Special shout out to the "Detection of Forgery" parts 1 and 2 in Insomnia Collection 2, which, since I was a fraud investigator during my law enforcement career, is a topic genuinely of interest to me. And yet it is undefeated in sending me off to dreamland, and I have never even made it to part 2 yet!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I've only recorded one selection for the Insomnia Collection, but I'm working on something exciting now; it's a complete discussion of the farm uses of concrete.

What I've been doing to unwind is to listen to our county's police radio broadcasts. It's mostly traffic stops with license plate and VIN numbers. And a ton---an absolute ton---of misdialed 911 calls that sometimes have to be tracked down.

Listening to the police radio is sure proof that I have attained an advanced age.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

LOL! Well, as a retired police officer, who retired in part due to PTSD and depression, listening to police scanners would not be relaxing for me.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ColleenMc wrote: November 1st, 2020, 9:03 pm LOL! Well, as a retired police officer, who retired in part due to PTSD and depression, listening to police scanners would not be relaxing for me.

Colleen
I really admire the police officers in my county. (And thank you for your service.) I admit that some of the things I hear on the radio band are quite distressing and I guard against my viewing it all as some kind of entertainment like that COPS! television program. I don't think I'd ever listen to an urban area where there seems to be more crime. I don't live in among cornfields as I used to, but our area is pretty calm overall.

I'll try to get the Concrete project done soon. That'll put you right to sleep!
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

If you wake up speaking Cornish, Colleen, don't blame me! :lol:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox