Is there a process to replace a weak chapter in a work?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Riseley

Post by Riseley »

I am presently listening to a work that involves multiple readers, all but one quite adept. I realize that everyone at Librivox is a volunteer and this kind of critique likely falls afoul of cultural norms here, but I do hope there is room to suggest that if a reader does not comprehend the material, perhaps their chapter might be replaced by someone who does?

Is there a process? The first chapter of this work was read by an excellent reader — would it be permissible to suggest that they read and replace the offending chapter?

Anyway— I am grateful all all the readers of all works but I ask this question with an eye to improving our efforts for future generations.

Thanks,
Chris
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No , Every reading has been accepted and proofed and is not replaced unless it is discovered not to conform to the text.
Of course there is nothing stopping a second version of the book being made.

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

As you anticipated in your post, this does in fact run counter to the LibriVox culture. One of the reasons we don't do this is because it would simply take up so much time and detract from our main mission: To make all public domain texts available in audio format for free on the internet.

Another reason, and maybe even a more important one, is because what constitutes an "offending" chapter is highly subjective. We've received both glowing praise and indignant negative criticism from different people for the exact same recordings. We can't please them all, and we don't want to waste energy trying.

You're always welcome to record your own version of anything in the catalogue!
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

mightyfelix wrote: April 24th, 2020, 3:37 pm As you anticipated in your post, this does in fact run counter to the LibriVox culture. One of the reasons we don't do this is because it would simply take up so much time and detract from our main mission: To make all public domain texts available in audio format for free on the internet.

Another reason, and maybe even a more important one, is because what constitutes an "offending" chapter is highly subjective. We've received both glowing praise and indignant negative criticism from different people for the exact same recordings. We can't please them all, and we don't want to waste energy trying.

You're always welcome to record your own version of anything in the catalogue!
There is though, a general acceptance amongst the English speaking public worldwide that there are norms for higher quality readings, and that’s why broadcasters on the whole have good diction and clear voices, and speak in an intelligent and understandable way. It is also why good actors have not only good voices and clear diction, but a creative way of speaking the lines, so that these lines have some meaning to the listener. The listener needs clear guidance as to the way the story (even one of a factual nature) is unfolding. The text of most books and especially poetry needs to interpreted.

Would it not be a good idea at LV to encourage good reading styles and quality recordings? This may mean fewer readings of books being produced, but a much higher percentage of really well read and produced books. As LV has thousands of books now online, maybe a better mission would be to produce many more high quality readings?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

lurcherlover wrote: April 26th, 2020, 3:50 am[...]maybe a better mission would be to produce many more high quality readings?
And how do you suggest accomplishing that if the first thing a new reader hears is "well, ya know, that reading stuff is not really for you, honestly..." ?

Most people need time and practice to improve. If you send them away immediately if you don't like what they put out the very first time, well, you will never get that improvement.

Besides, from above:
mightyfelix wrote: April 24th, 2020, 3:37 pm We've received both glowing praise and indignant negative criticism from different people for the exact same recordings. We can't please them all, and we don't want to waste energy trying.
So who's making that call in the first place?

We will do everything to help you improve if you wish to do so. But we will never say "you're not good enough".
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

All that said, we have historically allowed an alternate recording of a chapter or two in an already-cataloged project. It's rare, but if a chapter is truly unintelligible, someone can record a new version, and we'll add it to the project.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

But nowadays everything is proof listened and unintelligible chapters don't happen. And you certainly can't say I'd prefer it read by another named person, readers chose what they want to read.
We encourage people to do the best readings they can with the equipment they have - people do not need to spend large sums of money on equipment to produce enjoyable readings.

Anne
ej400

Post by ej400 »

lurcherlover wrote: April 26th, 2020, 3:50 am Would it not be a good idea at LV to encourage good reading styles and quality recordings?
I agree but to a point. There's no harm in attempting to provide quality recordings, but when does it cross the line of word-perfect PLing, or unwanted criticism? PL's came into the system for a reason. Readers can always ask for constructive criticism. They can ask for word perfect. But if they don't want that, there are still some corrections LV asks PL's to look for. I think LV does a wonderful job of making recordings at a good level. I wouldn't want us to lose half the projects we have going on because the readers quit because their recordings were no longer "at our expectations." The point is that we are volunteers reading books for fun and making audiobooks free for everyone.
lurcherlover wrote: April 26th, 2020, 3:50 am of really well read and produced books.
Is this implying we aren't reading well? If someone is stumbling, or "choking" on sentences, it's a PL note, so I don't know how some of us could really be reading "wrong." And everyone reads differently... I also think that's the joy of LV. But could you define "well read?"

Thanks, and stay safe! :D
Elijah
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

My best work was reading for the insomnia thread. I think we can all find a place at LibriVox.
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

One of the reasons I so enjoy contributing to this site is that there is no auditioning necessary. My recordings are accepted so long as I've read what's printed, and there are no technical issues. LV is a place that one can use as learning and practicing site, while still volunteering to the common good of creating audio recordings of public domain books for listeners for free.

If I wanted to record "professionally" and/or to others' predetermined expectations, I'd record elsewhere and get paid for it (but I don't want to and I won't). I don't have professional talent. Some enjoy my reading style and others don't. Some think I read too fast and others that I read too slow. You can't please everyone. I don't intend to. :)

LV gives a reader an environment that is comfortable for a volunteer to contribute, with friendly and helpful co-volunteers to give advice, if wanted.

Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

TriciaG wrote: April 26th, 2020, 5:55 am All that said, we have historically allowed an alternate recording of a chapter or two in an already-cataloged project. It's rare, but if a chapter is truly unintelligible, someone can record a new version, and we'll add it to the project.
I can't recall changing anything in a cataloged work, but I haven't been here that long. I do remember being asked to helps replace a chapter read by someone with a speech impediment so severe that it truly was unintelligible, but before the project was completed.

I do think we have a good enough system of proof listening and oversight by BC'S and MC's to catch anything that really is unacceptable. And, there are a lot of helpful tips and information that is shared in the environment.

Are all readers on the same level? Of course not. We have professional recording artists, experienced actors, and talented amateurs. We have young children and people in their ninth decade. We have people from all over the world with a wide variety of accents. A few have dedicated recording studios. Most of us do the best we can to create a good recording environment at home, and our recording equipment ranges from high end to low end. Our experience levels, natural reading ability, technical expertise, etc., etc. run the gamut. That is the beautiful tapestry that we call LibriVox!

Can we encourage higher standards of recording? Of course, and I think we actually do a good job of that. We are known as a helpful, encouraging community. We have an extensive wiki file of help aids, video tutorials and people eager to help both new and experienced readers produce good quality recordings in a supportive atmosphere.

That is our LibriVox culture!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry