[COMPLETE] Orthodoxy by G K Chesterton - NF/ks

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Pleonic

Post by Pleonic »

This project is complete. All associated files can be found on the catalog page: http://librivox.org/orthodoxy-by-gk-chesterton/

Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!

A book that truly blew me away the first time I read it. Lively, well-written, short but packed tight with insight and originality. I really want to do Orthodoxy as my first solo work.

I originally forecast finishing this project in October so as to come in ahead of schedule and pat myself on the back! After all, the book has only 92 pages. Now, chastened, older, and wiser, I'm predicting February -- and no back patting.

For storage I have a MediaFire.com account, which I haven't used for something this important. Any opinions on whether that will work or not would be appreciated. If not, perhaps I can FTP to a some generous soul's server. Or I can upload via YouSendIt.com.

(BC admin link)

[list=1][*]Full title: Orthodoxy
[*]Full name of author(s): Gilbert Keith Chesterton
[*]Full name of translator (if applicable, and if available): None
[*]Link to PD text source: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/130
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_K_Chesterton
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodoxy_%28book%29
[*]Target completion date (an estimate which can be changed): February 2008
[*]Short description (can be a paragraph copied from Wikipedia. If you write this yourself, please be aware that your summary will be in the PD. Please state who wrote the description): Gilbert Keith Chesterton was a well known British writer, thinker, and social commentator of the early 20th century. His prodigious output included histories, biographies, fiction (he was the author of the popular Father Brown detective series), poetry, travelogues, and essays on virtually every major issue of his time. Written as a follow up to his book Heretics, in which he took on the leading thinkers and ideologies of his time, Orthodoxy describes his own beliefs. Chesterton recounts a personal odyssey in which he was forced to admit time and again that the most satisfying answers to life's interlocking riddles were given by the Christian faith. Now a century old, Orthodoxy is still startlingly contemporary and is regarded as one of the finest apologetic works for thinking people. -- Pleonic
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: Approx. 17
[*]Does the project have an introduction [y/n]: n, but there is a brief preface.
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1908
[*]Do you have server space to store your files?: MediaFire.com
[*]If you're a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: Already taken care of.
[*]Example of your file names: orthodoxy_01_chesterton.mp3
[*]Example of your ID3 tags: Title = 05 - The Flag of the World
Artist = G.K Chesterton
Album = Orthodoxy[/list]

Now how does that Magic Window thingy work...
Last edited by Pleonic on February 28th, 2008, 6:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Pleonic

Homepage | Blog

"The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." ~ GK Chesterton
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I'll MC this for you, Pleonic. Give me a few minutes to set up the Magic Window for you.
Karen S.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Do you plan on reading the preface as a separate file, or with the first chapter/section?
Karen S.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Ok, Magic Window's up. I've PMd you the login information so you can update it. Have you edited one of these before? Let me know if you have any questions.

I don't know that there would be a problem with storing your files on mediafire, but as I'd have to download them from there to get them into the validator when we start cataloguing, it would save me a step if you'd use my server space instead. :) So, I've sent you the log in information for that as well.

Tags and file names look good. So have fun!
Karen S.
Pam

Post by Pam »

May I proof listen to this book when that point comes please.

Pam
Pleonic

Post by Pleonic »

The Preface is so brief and Chapter 1 is short as well, so I planned to include them both in the same section. Is there an official Librivox way to announce that at the beginning and end of the reading?
Pleonic

Homepage | Blog

"The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." ~ GK Chesterton
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Pleonic wrote:The Preface is so brief and Chapter 1 is short as well, so I planned to include them both in the same section. Is there an official Librivox way to announce that at the beginning and end of the reading?
I would do it as you would if you had more than one chapter in the same file. In the disclaimer at the beginning say "Preface and Chapter 1 of Orthodoxy" then the rest of the disclaimer, then "Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton, Preface", read the preface, and finish with "end of preface", then announce the beginning of chapter 1 and continue as usual.
Karen S.
Pleonic

Post by Pleonic »

That seemed the logical way to me but I thought I'd better check. Thanks! And thank you also for the offer of server space for the files. I should be able to upload the first file in a week or two, and then, with any luck, one every 2 to 3 weeks after that.
Pleonic

Homepage | Blog

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Sounds great!
Karen S.
Pleonic

Post by Pleonic »

Pam wrote:May I proof listen to this book when that point comes please.

Pam
Thank you for the offer, Pam. That would be fine with me!
Pleonic

Homepage | Blog

Pleonic

Post by Pleonic »

I've just uploaded Section 1 (Preface and the First Chapter) to Karen's server. It runs 00:12:42 and takes up 11.6 MB. Hope you like it; suggestions are welcome. This is a fun book for me and I'm trying to let some of that come through without getting carried away.

Depending on my schedule I hope to have Chapter 2 finished in 2 to 3 weeks.
Pleonic

Homepage | Blog

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I've updated the magic window with the Listen link.
Karen S.
Pam

Post by Pam »

The Preffice and chapter 1 were perfect. Great reading keep it up.

Pam
Pleonic

Post by Pleonic »

Thanks Pam!
Pleonic

Homepage | Blog

Pleonic

Post by Pleonic »

Thought I'd better check in and let LibriVox know I'm working (still) on Chapter 2. Hoping to turn it in next weekend (May 19 - 20).
Pleonic

Homepage | Blog