Malpie from Italy

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
malpie

Post by malpie »

Hi.

My nickname is Malpie and my name is Marco.

I am Italian and still live in Italy. I appreciate Librivox Project because it affords to get in touch with many writers.

Italian literature is huge and there are many authors to be known and heard. my goal is to start with a group reading and maybe in a solo.

Marco B.
Last edited by malpie on February 21st, 2019, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Hello and Welcome to librivox!

That sounds fantastic! We are very glad that you'd like to read for us. You could even read Italian, as we offer many different language choices. :D <smile>

Glad to have you with us, and thank you for joining!
Elijah
malpie

Post by malpie »

hi there if you aim to enrole someone in an italianenglish speaking carachter that' me..😁
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Welcome at LibriVox, Marco :)
malpie wrote: February 20th, 2019, 6:37 am my goal is to start with a group reading and maybe in a solo.
Wonderful, that fits in ;) There are afair two group (one small, one medium) projects going on right now and one big one to come :D You can also provide poems or short texts for one of the collections, just to dip your toes into the water after the 1-minute-test :)
malpie

Post by malpie »

Here is my 1 minute test on the introduction of LA BOTTEGA DEL CAFFE' by Carlo Goldoni, italian theatral author.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/test_Malpie.mp3

Marco
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Marco!

Which recording software are you using? Most of the technical specifications are fine, except that it is in stereo, and we are aiming for mono.
If you are using Audacity, I think you can set in menu "Edit" > Preferences > Devices > Recording: Channels, choose "1 (Mono)" from the drop-down menu, and click OK, to save the setting for all future recordings.
Also I think it's a little bit louder than desired, and it could be a problem if it leads to clipping (that's cutting off the higher sounds and distorting the recording), so I would suggest bringing down the microphone slider, just a bit, so that we don't end up on the other end where it's too quiet :mrgreen:
If you're recording in Audacity, what you need is a wave-line that peaks just above the 0.5 mark, but not all the way up/down:

After fixing the stereo to mono, and the volume, you can upload a new test recording :thumbs:
malpie

Post by malpie »

hi Repunzolina,

I have recorded already three files, one small, two quite big before your advice... Is it possible to modify microphone settings on present files avoiding to record again? Fear not-

I change from stereo to mono according to your aim: what differences with stereo?

I have read now that files should not be longer than 40 -50 minutes: two of mine are 2-3 h long....

Is anybody there that can set my work in proper settings??

best regards
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

In my Audacity version, there is an option to turn a stereo recording into mono. It is in menu Tracks > Mix > "Mix stereo down to Mono"

So if you use Audacity, you'll find this option, or a similar one, to turn your stereo recordings into mono.

The reason why we need the mono setting, is that it is necessary for the cataloguing into archive.org.

We suggest duration of no more than ~70 minutes, so that they fit in a music CD. Depending on which project you've made the recordings for, you can find suitable points in the recording to split it into shorter recordings.

I hope this helps!
malpie

Post by malpie »

thanks.

i will modify in mono my files. Can you show me how to Split in shorter recordings

bye
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I think there are many ways to split. In Audacity, the way I would do it is by copying the recording I want to keep into a new file, adding correct intro and outro and saving to a separate file, then do the same for the next bit, and then next bit, etc.
malpie

Post by malpie »

hi rapunzelina,

have some problems to add intro e outro ; thoight it was enough to record after positioning but I cannot :help:

br

marco
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

How about if you record in a new file, and then copy and paste it on your recording?

But for which project are you recording? If it's for the solo you posted, I would like to make sure the text you are recording is in the public domain, so it's safe for Librivox.
malpie

Post by malpie »

Hi there,

can you be my mc when uploading files?

I tried sending one file with inro and outro in the Librivox management Tool. but when clicking blue button ""start upload" nothing happened.

What I am supposed to do??

Marco
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello Marco!

I have moved your project to Book Suggestions here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73990
until you decide what you'd like to do. Let me know if I can help in any way :)
malpie

Post by malpie »

hi there, i would like to publish the entire book.

in the edotoon i am reading from there are also other pages and dociments i intend not to record.

so i do not see the problem if i go on publishing the other two chapters.

br

Marco
Bertollo