Hello from Hudson, Colorado

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
pattimac

Post by pattimac »

My husband found this site just before Christmas and was really excited about it. We started downloading "A Little Princess" but we just have a dial up modem so we downloaded the first 12 chapters (that took a couple of days) then we decided to go to my daughter's and download the rest of the book plus 3 other books because she has cable. We listened to "A Little Princess" and we were both quite enchanted with it. Kara, you have a very nice voice! We are in our mid-50's.
My husband wants me to read for you because he says my voice is quite pleasant and I do love to read. I have read alot on how to get started. We have our house for sale and want to move to Montana so I'm not sure whether I should just jump in and do it now or wait until we sell our house and move and then read. I guess it depends on how long it takes to sell the house! :lol:
Patti

No diet is impossible, hopeless maybe, but not impossible!
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hi Patti, glad you found us, glad you enjoyed A Little Princess! I'm working on The Secret Garden now, so stay tuned :)

As for when to start -- how about today? There's our ongoing Short Poetry Project, and we should have a new Weekly Poem starting up tomorrow. Short poetry is a great way to get your feet wet. Or, claim a chapter of a tempting book and try it out!

Hope to hear from you soon, and happy reading,

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
pattimac

Post by pattimac »

Thanks for the welcome. We will have to get a microphone (my husband wants to get those earphones). I may start recording next week, though. I am really excited about this. Is there a way we can dedicate the poem we read to someone special? My mom read us a poem about a little boys pocket and the many things he had in it when we were little, but I'm not even sure about the name of it. I'll have to ask her and see if she remember the name of it and if it is in public domain, I may have my grandson record it for me. I'd love to put something like "this is dedicated to my mother" and maybe put her name. She has cancer so I think this would be something she would love.
Patti

No diet is impossible, hopeless maybe, but not impossible!
kayray

Post by kayray »

pattimac wrote:Thanks for the welcome. We will have to get a microphone (my husband wants to get those earphones). I may start recording next week, though. I am really excited about this. Is there a way we can dedicate the poem we read to someone special? My mom read us a poem about a little boys pocket and the many things he had in it when we were little, but I'm not even sure about the name of it. I'll have to ask her and see if she remember the name of it and if it is in public domain, I may have my grandson record it for me. I'd love to put something like "this is dedicated to my mother" and maybe put her name. She has cancer so I think this would be something she would love.
Of course you may do that! What a lovely idea. I hope the poem does turn out to be in the public domain -- looking forward to hearing it.

I wish I'd thought of dedicating Secret Garden to my mom -- it was her favorite book when she was little and mine as well -- now my son loves it, so it's very special to us all.

Happy reading,

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Welcome Patti! The dedication is a great idea. I look forward to hearing your recording!
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

pattimac wrote:We have our house for sale and want to move to Montana so I'm not sure whether I should just jump in and do it now or wait until we sell our house and move and then read. I guess it depends on how long it takes to sell the house! :lol:
Do it now! I'm selling my house and moving to South Carolina, but it's been six months so far and there's no sense in waiting.

Welcome to LibriVox, Patti
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain