[COMPLETE] LibriVox 12th Anniversary Collection - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

And here is my real contribution. I opted for poetry, on Carolin's theory that you can never have too much poetry!

Twelve profitable sonnets
by MacMechan, Archibald, 1862-1933
https://archive.org/details/cihm_76582
12.17 - https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/twelve_twelveprofitablesonnets_macmechan_mas_128kb.mp3

MaryAnn
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

AdeledePignerolles wrote:Is there going to be a song this year? Something along the lines of the 12 Days of Christmas might work :)
I am thinking of taking another whack at song-writing for the 12th Anniversary. I've asked Sue to allow me a couple of weeks to see if I can come up with something. I need to find a tune before I write lyrics, so I'll put out a question - Would folks prefer a lyrical tune or a boisterous tune? Which would entice the LV singers?
"12 Days of Christmas" was actually the first tune I thought of, too! But I was afraid it would seem too repetitive. We could have some fun with it, though.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:And here is my real contribution. I opted for poetry, on Carolin's theory that you can never have too much poetry!

Twelve profitable sonnets
by MacMechan, Archibald, 1862-1933
https://archive.org/details/cihm_76582
12.17 - https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/twelve_twelveprofitablesonnets_macmechan_mas_128kb.mp3

MaryAnn
Thank you for the poems, MaryAnn! :)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

commonsparrow3 wrote:
AdeledePignerolles wrote:Is there going to be a song this year? Something along the lines of the 12 Days of Christmas might work :)
I am thinking of taking another whack at song-writing for the 12th Anniversary. I've asked Sue to allow me a couple of weeks to see if I can come up with something. I need to find a tune before I write lyrics, so I'll put out a question - Would folks prefer a lyrical tune or a boisterous tune? Which would entice the LV singers?
"12 Days of Christmas" was actually the first tune I thought of, too! But I was afraid it would seem too repetitive. We could have some fun with it, though.
Hi there, Maria, Glad to see you on the thread! :) I'll vote for a lively tune that could be sung in a sort of "raucous chorus," so folks like myself can participate without having to worry how well they can sing!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/twelve_robins_harper_128kb.mp3
8:56

"A Robin's Nest," from Twelve Months With the Birds and Poets
Samuel A. Harper

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.a0001026616;view=1up;seq=26
pages 12-16
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

PL Notes for Section 1 – "The Twelve Men" Excellent reading. :) Needs 5 seconds of silence at the end.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

mhhbook wrote:PL Notes for Section 1 – "The Twelve Men" Excellent reading. :) Needs 5 seconds of silence at the end.
Hmmm... The reading ends at 8:59, the file ends at 9:04. That seems like 5 seconds of silence to me :hmm:
soupy

Post by soupy »

The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Lynnet wrote:
mhhbook wrote:PL Notes for Section 1 – "The Twelve Men" Excellent reading. :) Needs 5 seconds of silence at the end.
Hmmm... The reading ends at 8:59, the file ends at 9:04. That seems like 5 seconds of silence to me :hmm:
You're right. When I listened the first time it seemed a little short. I think my ears were slow. Anyway, it is PL OK.

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Section 2 Twelve Years a Slave is PL OK. :)

Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thank you, Craig, for this selection from the writings of "one of the most arresting figures of medieval Mysticism," to quote from the introduction to The Book of the Twelve Beguines. :) I found the Wikipedia article about the women's Christian lay religious movement, the Beguines, that you mentioned also very interesting.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thank you, Craig, for this selection from the writings of "one of the most arresting figures of medieval Mysticism," to quote from the introduction to The Book of the Twelve Beguines. :) I found the Wikipedia article about the women's Christian lay religious movement, the Beguines, that you mentioned also very interesting.

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

soupy wrote:I've been wanting to put something by Ruysbroeck in Librivox and this seemed the perfect place. Perhaps someone will read the whole book or Evelyn Underhill's book about Ruysbroeck.

Craig
Evelyn Underhill's Mysticism was one of the most influential (to me) books I read as an undergraduate in college! I had no idea she had written on Ruysbroeck until you mentioned her!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

mightyfelix wrote:
Sue Anderson wrote:
mightyfelix wrote:If you do want to do the play-let, I'll read for Mrs. Carewe. I'll also volunteer to edit it together, as I'd like to get my feet wet with that kind of editing, and this is such a short piece.
Hi Mightyfelix, Tricia has given her ok for the playlet. Here are her instructions. I'm going to follow her advice and add the play and the three characters to the MW. I would ask that you please trade notes with some of the people who are active in BCing plays, as Tricia suggests, to pull this thing together.
TriciaG wrote:You can do the play, if you like. I'd rather see it in this MW than as a separate thread and then merged together, since it's so few roles. I'd say, add the roles to the end of the MW list. When the final play is done, assign all readers to the play section, submit the cast list (tool for it is HERE), and then we'll delete the role sections or reuse them for regular submissions.

I'm sure some of our regular play BCs can give pointers, but what I've written above is probably the easiest way to handle it.
Right now, it sounds as if you need to recruit three more volunteers: two more players (the major, and Mrs. Paly-plaget) and then, I'm presuming, a separate person to read the stage directions?
Sounds great! Yes, we'll want the Major, Mrs. Paly-Paget, and Stage Directions. I'm looking forward to this!
Hi MightyFelix, Given that this is your first time editing a play (in this case a "playlet,"), I decided to do a first-time reading of a part in a play and recorded Mrs. Paly-Paget for you. My conclusion: It's a LOT harder than you think it's going to be! I left in one "standard deviation" from the text, a slipup/substitution of the word "can" for "may" at .55 seconds "You can imagine hot how it was."

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/bakersdozen_palypaget_sa_128kb.mp3
3:25

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Section 4 "Twelve Profitable Sonnets" is PL OK. :)