Good Heavens! Another Volunteer!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
bfeist

Post by bfeist »

I've been through a couple of careers (software industry and high school Math teacher), and am now semiretired due to an issue with my eyes. I had major problems with double vision, which prevented me from effectively grading the computer programs my students wrote, so I resigned. Last February I had surgery to correct the problem; it was successful. But, before then, reading was an issue for me, and I've been a bookworm since about 1960. So, I turned to audiobooks.

Now that my eyes function normally again, I can read (whew!). I don't feel like going back to teaching; I'm close to retirement age, and it doesn't seem worth it. I have a teenage child who I used to read to every evening. (We got through several volumes of Harry Potter.) My kid loved my reading aloud, and has been encouraging me to try my hand at audiobooks. I learned about LibriVox through Project Gutenberg, and this sounds like a great way to do something useful and get feedback.

I live near Washington, DC in the USA, close to Dulles International Airport, with my spouse, child, two dogs (black standard poodles), three birds (two cockatiels and a gold-capped conure), two rats (domestic, not wild), and the occasional uninvited mouse or copperhead.

My tastes in literature tend toward fantasy and science fiction. My all-time favorite author is the late Terry Pratchett. Authors I hope to read for LibriVox include Jules Verne, H. G. Wells, G.K. Chesterton, Lewis Carroll, and all the other ones I'm not thinking of at the moment.

I love the name LibriVox, by the way. I assume that the "Libri" part is an intentional pun: free book. Very clever! (You can now guess my astrological sign.)

I am eager to get started.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hello bfeist and welcome to LibriVox :)
You may be interested to hear that Jules Verne one of LVers' favourites. Check out this thread where people try to keep track of the Verne recordings we've made viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54336
As far as reading is concerned, your first step is to record and submit the 1-minute test. You should find useful links and info in the welcome email we've sent you. Ask if you have any questions :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
bfeist

Post by bfeist »

Thanks for the welcome. I took a look at the post you linked to; great! I'm no expert on Verne, and I've never heard of most of those works. Maybe I can fix that...

By the way, I see that you're from Poland. My mother's parents were Polish immigrants (Polish Jews, but still). My grandfather was from Kolno; my grandmother from Bransk.
J_N

Post by J_N »

Welcome!

completely off-topic:
I saw "copperhead" in your post and thought "sounds like a snake" - some googling later... it's a snake... snakes creep me out... and now one of the last images before I go to bed is a venomous snake. well done, me... :roll: why, oh why, do I not learn... don't google things that sound like snakes... or spiders... or other creepy stuff... :lol: :roll:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
AOrlans

Post by AOrlans »

Welcome to Librivox !

I live near you--I'm from Marshall which is 25 miles SW of you.

I am so glad to hear that your operation was a success and you are able to read again.

I too was a teacher (English and Latin, grades 6-12). I only lasted 8 years before the kids drove me round the bend.

In Latin there is the adj. "liber" meaning "free" (a freeman, not a slave) and there are 17 different meanings for the 4 forms of the word "liber"! The noun form's primary sense sense is the inner bark of a tree; the second sense is "book" There is also proper noun "Liber": an early Italian god of vegetation, later associated with Bachus.

Delving into this cluster of words will be a liberating experience and provide great pleasure (quid libet).
If you can get your hands on a copy of the Oxford Latin Dictionary you can do no better than to read all the words and definitions from "libellio" on page 1022 through "Libra" on page 1026. There are a whole cluster of wonderful related words.
Cheers,

Andrew

PS

Your astronomical sign comes from the word for scale and isn't related etymologically with "liber".