COMPLETE - SEC Plain English Handbook -maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

A Plain English Handbook: How to create clear SEC Disclosure Documents by The Securities and Exchange Commission ( - ).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-plain-english-handbook-by-the-securities-and-exchange-commission/
The Plain Writing Act of 2010 (Act) is intended to make it easy for the public to understand government documents. The SEC, like other federal agencies, must write documents in plain writing, defined under the Act as writing that is "clear, concise, well-organized, and follows other best practices appropriate to the subject or field or audience." Starting in October 2011, the Act requires us to write new and substantially revised documents in plain language using the Federal Plain Language Guidelines.<br><br>As a disclosure agency, the SEC is committed to communicating with investors in easily understandable language. In 1998, the SEC published a guide, A Plain English Handbook: How to Create Clear SEC Disclosure Documents, showing securities lawyers and companies ways to reduce legalese. (Summary by the SEC) ( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.sec.gov/pdf/handbook.pdf
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of A Plain English Handbook: How to create clear SEC Disclosure Documents. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "A Plain English Handbook: How to create clear SEC Disclosure Documents, by The Securities and Exchange Commission. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of A Plain English Handbook: How to create clear SEC Disclosure Documents by The Securities and Exchange Commission. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Plain English Handbook: How to create clear SEC Disclosure Documents, by The Securities and Exchange Commission. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

May I PL?
Laurie Anne
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Of course!
MaryAnn
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

The MW is suddenly filled up :shock: :D

Sections 1 and 2 are OK.
Laurie Anne
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Yeah, that was my weekend project. Sorry if you felt ambushed! But it was easy and I decided just to finish it off.

MaryAnn
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Not at all! It's great that you could polish it off so quickly!

In section 3, I noticed two discrepancies that might change the meaning a little bit. I happened to be reading along, so these are not standard PL'ing comments and the edits are totally optional:

17:43 Text reads "Not...unless; only if. Not...except; only if." I heard "if only" instead of "only if" in both instances.

33:17 Missing "after" before the revised sentence.

Otherwise it's PL OK!

These same concepts are used in medical writing, as you can imagine. Some medical writers specialize in plain English for patients/consumers. (I've got a webinar on the subject bookmarked for when I have a free hour.) The tips in chapter 6 work for everyone, though, especially in scientific writing that's so technical to start with (the same as legal and financial documents).
Laurie Anne
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Laurie Anne, I'll get those corrected.

MaryAnn
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Sections 4 and 5 are PL OK. Yay!! I take it you decided against reading the appendices?

I'll be out of town for a conference for the next couple of days. If you send a revised section 3 and don't mind waiting for me, I can spot check it Saturday night. (I won't mind if you'd rather check it yourself so you can pop this into the catalog!)
Laurie Anne
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Laurie Anne. Yes, I decided to omit the apendixes because I wasn't sure how to read them, or that they would be helpful if read.

I'm going to try to do the corrections tonight because after that I'm away from my microphone until Sunday. No problem waiting for you to spot check - there's no rush on this.

I'm curious to see what the cover makers come up with for this! :D

MaryAnn
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've wondered that too - ? plain brown paper (as in "sent in a plain wrapper" as THOSE ads used to say in my distant youth or a no entry type sign with no gobbledygook - but then I'd have to work out how to spell it or find an SEC logo or .........

Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I was able to pl one section while at the dentist's office with my son, so maybe I can spot ck, we'll see.

Maybe a semicolon with a big circle and slash through it. In a legible serif font with plenty of white space, of course, and no more than 34 words per line on the back side. (and left justified, ragged right) :)
Laurie Anne
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Huh. You've got me thinking. Maybe I should reserve the cover myself and see what I can make of the brown paper with the "no semicolon" sign . . .

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Or maybe the "prohibited" sign over the word "legalese"?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Using an easy-reading font :D
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Or default to a nice landscape if that doesn't work :lol:

(Bored in hotel room waiting for dinnertime)

The plain language folks might go for just the title in a nice font on a solid (white?) background ... it is pretty long, would prob fill the front if you used the whole thing. But there's no law your cover has to be plain just cause the language is. :)
Laurie Anne