New user intro

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
andy5995

Post by andy5995 »

I like to read science fiction mostly. I'm currently reading The Complete Works of Hans Christian Andersen (English translation). I've enjoyed a few Steinbeck novels (esp. East of Eden) and misc other fiction, non-fiction books and history books. Oh, and I often enjoy a good computer/reference manual, or man page.

When I was a kid I read a lot of comic books. After I read some comics books (mostly the X-Men), and the christian Bible, my values system gained traction and I gained some morality to help me through my teenage years. I forgot a lot because of some chemistry experiments I tried later, but watched political debates to rediscover what it means to be human.

I still have problems avoiding run-on sentences.

I'm one of those "nerds" from school who never minded reading aloud. So when I discovered Librivox yesterday I was intrigued of course.

I've had to cut back on the computer use the last 6 years due to physical pain problems. I learned some meditation basics (six years ago) and have been gradually working out that pain ever since. It's getting to the point it's almost gone, actually! I still don't like to commit a lot of time to typing on the computer, because the pain flares up otherwise, but reading with my eyes and mouth should be acceptable.

So since I had to stop being a computer/LInux junkie for a while, I explored and took up some other interests. Small electronic circuits, learning to play the piano (and to read sheet music), listening to classical music, more meditation, and some volunteer work off and on. Most recently -- in Oct of 2013 -- I started learning the Deutsch language. It's my first second language. It's going slowly because my brain and I are terribly old - close to 40.

I did try writing for a while but didn't find it very fulfilling, therefore I didn't enjoy it well enough to work at getting better; so I moved on to other interests.

I still like to read, and prefer the letter e. I refuse to read anything which lacks the letter e.
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Welcome to LibriVox, Andy! We're glad to have you! :D
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
andy5995

Post by andy5995 »

Thanks!
AliCat

Post by AliCat »

Hey fellow new person! If you like the letter E then I guess you hate Georges Perec?
andy5995

Post by andy5995 »

Ha! Good x-ampil... ;)