Footnote? NonEnglish text?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
mgarelick

Post by mgarelick »

What do readers do about footnotes? How about non-English quotations (epigraphs, etc)?
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

This is the sort of thing that's usually referred to the book co-ordinator of a project. Have you a particular work in mind?

The rule of thumb I try to apply myseelf is: do whatever helps the listener. So an explanatory footnote should go straight after the text it explains (at the end of the sentence, not the word). Academic references that I would expect to be a nuisance rather than a help, I'd probably leave out. Unless the book co-ordinator decided otherwise.

Non-English quotations are best read as written, getting help as necessary from a native speaker. Make a post in this area of the forum, stating in the title the language you need help with. (If you need help :D ).

David
mgarelick

Post by mgarelick »

Thanks. I was looking at Descartes and the first thing I noticed was a few lines of what seemed like latin.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

the other rule of thumb: when in doubt, sound authoratative. best, of course to get help with pronounciation, but ... failing that, charge ahead!