New member from Oklahoma

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
skwerly76

Post by skwerly76 »

Hola everyone,

New member here. I've had an iPod Shuffle for a couple of months. I've already used it well with mp3s and audiobooks, and have just recently discovered Podcasts.

I look forward to using the site.

Does anyone have any tips on getting started with making my own Podcasts? I have no idea how to do it. I'm fairly computer and internet proficient.

Thanks!

Skwerly76
"You have to forget about what other people say- when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be loving. You have to forget about all those things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven." ~Jimi Hendrix
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Welcome to LibriVox! Glad you found your way here and have listened to things already. Hope you will also become a reader before too long!

I know there's a lot of podcasting advice out on the internet - a simple Google search should throw up some things, or Wikipedia has a couple of links in its podcasting entry, I think.

There are a number of podcasters participating on LibriVox, I'm sure you'll get more replies.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
rfrancis

Post by rfrancis »

Not only am I a podcaster, but I'm also an Oklahoman.

Getting started in podcasting is easier than you think; how easy depends on how inexpensive you want it to be.

At the easiest end is one of the fairly new services where you call them on the phone and they do the rest (slapcast, for example), but I'm going to pass that by. Next easiest: plug in a microphone, fire up Windows Sound Recorder or Garage Band or whatever, record yourself talking, and save it. Then you get a $5/mo membership with libsyn.com or one of the equivalent alternatives and they handle the rest for you.

What do I do? I record with a headset into an iRiver portable player, then plug it into my PC's USB port and move the file over. Then I load it into Audacity (free), do whatever editing I like (simple for The Whole Truth, more intricate for Sturgeon's Law) and export an mp3, set the tags, upload it to my GoDaddy hosting account, go to my Wordpress blog and make a posting. (Wordpress and Feedburner handle the RSS feed details from there.)

Or I could just make an RSS feed by hand and not have a blog for it at all. The thing about podcasting is that there are a gazillion different options for what level of control and/or hassle you want -- and how much you want to spend on gear, hosting services, etc etc.

In my opinion, the easiest, cheapest way to try out podcasting is this: record a show using whatever mic you have with your computer with the recording software that came with the OS. Save it as an mp3; if you can't directly, you can get free conversion software that can help you out. (Audacity, for example.) Get a free account at ourmedia.org (you'll also need one at iarchive.org with matching information and I apologize, it's a big hassle. This is why I pay for hosting.) Upload your file and copy the link. Get a livejournal account if you don't have one (I presume some other blogging service might do, but this is what I know) and post an entry with a link to your mp3 on ourmedia in it. Now -- still with me? -- get a Feedburner account, add your livejournal's RSS -- http://www.livejournal.com/users/<username>/rss -- as a feed there, and tell it it's a podcast when you do. You'll get a feedburner RSS that starts with http://feeds.feedburner.com... anyway, this is your podcast feed. Congrats, you're podcasting.

See why people pay a few bucks a month for simpler solutions? :)

Anyway. Any way in which I can help, I'm around.

Cheers,

-R
[url=http://www.pendantaudio.com/bios/rfrancis.html]me[/url]
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Welcome Skwerly! I recently started my own podcast as part of a project for an IT class which also led me here. I had a bit of a rough time figuring it all out but now that I have it's simple. Rfrancis gives a pretty good explanation. Here's how I do it:

1. Record the sound file. If you don't already have some type of recording device you'll need to get one. A microphone is what most people use, I use a digital voice recorder because it is what I already had, although I may be getting a headset microphone soon.

2. I import the file to Audacity, edit it, and then export it as an mp3.

3. Upload the mp3 to ourmedia. As rfrancis mentioned, you have to also register with iarchive but I don't remember it being very complicated.

4. Copy the link from ourmedia to my free blog I got from iblogger.com.

5. My blog is then syndicated by my free feedburner account, as mentioned by rfrancis. Basically, after you've created your blog, enter the url into feedburner and they create an RSS feed for you. That's your podcast feed and you're set to go.

Hopefully there will be more and simpler ways to podcast in the future but applications that are friendly to non-techies are just now starting to come out. If you choose to do it like I do, I'd start at feedburner.com, they have a sort of how-to guide that is what got me started. Good luck and welcome again to LibriVox!
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman