Help! Where did my histogram go on Audacity?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Remontant

Post by Remontant »

I was editing and clicked on the wrong thing (obviously). I can't see the histogram now even though the sound is still there. I can't do edits without "seeing" the mistakes. :roll: Does anyone know how I can get it back? (I've already tried the "view" box--no good--and the image of the histograms in the toolbar--and they don't "light up." :oops:
kristin

Post by kristin »

Try exporting the file as a wave and then import it into audacity. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll think of something else.
Remontant

Post by Remontant »

Thanks, Kristin. I have to go get my boys from school but will try it when I get back!
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

Quite likely you've zoomed in or out so can't see it any more.
Right click or left click inside the bar which has 0, 0.5 and 1 in at the left hand side - right click to zoom out and left click to zoom in.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=75]Jim Mowatt[/url] - [url=http://historyzine.com]Historyzine - The History Podcast[/url]
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

The other possibility is that you've switched from Waveform display to perhaps Pitch ... at the top of the box at the left of the sound display is the title of your file with a pull-down box (down-arrow). Click on it and see which of the display styles is greyed out ... i.e. in use at the moment. It should be Waveform ... at least, that's the original default.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Just in case this is a glitch and not a simple matter of viewing in a different format, something I keep up my sleeve is to play the file (assuming it still plays) while recording with something like AudioHijack Pro or similar, to make a new file.

Can be a good backup while trying to work out what went wrong in Audacity.

Good luck, Remontant!
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
Remontant

Post by Remontant »

Thanks, everyone. Whatever it was, was "cured" when I next opened the file. What a relief! I appreciate your help! :clap: