Works By Father John Gerard

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

"John Gerard is one of the most fascinating of the Jesuit priests in England, and his two books, Narrative and Autobiography, provide us with an accurate, vivid and exciting picture of the lives of catholics during that period. His works are considered to be major primary sources for this subject, not only for their accuracy and detail but as well for his lively style of writing."
I would be more than happy and more than pleased if someone could find an online etext of these books and record them. From what I read of them, they are simply wonderful. I am almost serten they are in the public domain (John Jerard died in 1637 but the lack of etexts online makes me suspishess.) Can you help?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi Stav

I cannot record this, being ridiculously overcommitted. But here's the archive.org link for the narrative of the Gunpowder Plot by Father Gerard; and the introductory "Life" quotes his Autobiography at considerable length:

http://archive.org/details/conditionofcatho01gerauoft

Regards
Martin