Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by J Burroughs

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
supersarah1999

Post by supersarah1999 »

The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs (1599 - 1646) .
A detailed look at contentment from a Biblical point of view. (Summary by Sarah Comfort)
  • Target completion date: 2012-Apr-15
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.monergism.com/contentment.html
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

[MW]xxxx[/MW]

===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Burroughs
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 8
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: no
    • Original publication date (if known): 1731
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Sarah Comfort
      Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project:
    religion

Keywords that describe the book:
    Puritan, Contentment, Christian
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment , by Jeremiah Burroughs . [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment , by Jeremiah Burroughs . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    rarejewelofchristiancontentment_##_burroughs.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Jeremiah Burroughs
    Album: The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Welcome to LibriVox, Sarah!

I am a little concerned about the text source, on which monergism.com claims copyright. I can see from the first few paragraphs that the text has been modernised to some extent, as there is a scan of the original work on the Internet Archive at http://www.archive.org/details/rarejewelchrist00burrgoog so their copyright claim on their version may be valid, and all our recordings MUST be made from sources that are clearly in the public domain.

In addition, I do not want to discourage you, but we do see many new readers start solos which they do not finish because they have not realised how much time and commitment it will take. So we do recommend that you first contribute a chapter to a group recording in Readers Wanted, or record a short story or two before launching into a solo. This is because as a soloist, you will be responsible for managing your project and it is helpful to know a bit about how things work.

For instance, this is a work of around 84,000 words, and although it is divided into 8 sections, you would definitely need more sections than this in your recording, as no section may be longer than about 70 minutes maximum (so that it can fit on an audio CD).

By doing some other short recordings, you will get a feel for a) how long it will take you to record and edit (much longer than most people realise) and b) what speed you read at (how many words a minute), so that you will have a better idea of how many sections you will need.

Please consider taking this course of action, and then looking for a text source that is clearly PD (if you cannot read from the Internet Archive book scan, which is not easy to read).

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
supersarah1999

Post by supersarah1999 »

Thanks for the feed back!!! I looked at the how to determine if something is Public Domain link that was provided and I thought that the age of the original was the determining factor. The original of this should be old enough to fall squarely into public domain, but in looking closer into it at the things you mentioned most of the versions I found are not really original but have some modernization. Thanks for the follow up I would love to do this book or something like it at some point but I see the wisdom you have in recommending starting at a less grand scale :)

I did look over the readers wanted section and did not really see anything that I was interested in right off, but I will keep an eye there for possibilities. In the meantime do you think that looking for shorter works at Project Gutenberg might be a good idea? I was thinking that might be a next step if I don't find a good fit right off in the reader's wanted list. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I am eager to get started, but I also want to make sure I'm doing things the way I should!!!

Thanks!!!
Sarah
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

A quick perusal down the first page of Readers Wanted: Short Works turned up these collections. In these you choose your own piece to submit (under 70 minutes) as long as it adheres to the theme of the collection. I hope you can find something here that interests you. We welcome multiple versions so if you find a short story you like that is already in our catalogue, feel free to record your version! :)

Children's Stories
Poems
Short story of any genre
Sci-Fi short story
Between 30 and 60 minutes, anything that will induce sleep
Non-fiction shorts
Ghost or Horror stories
3-15 minute pieces
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

I'm going to move this to Book Suggestions--maybe someone will find a clearly PD text and then it can either be moved back or restarted.