Might is Right by Ragnar Redbeard

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
BLMeredith

Post by BLMeredith »

I've always fancied a copy of Ragnar Redbeard's "Might is Right" (1896) in audiobook form;
In majority, it's quite an antichristian book I've gotta say, but I find it quite inspiring in terms of good poetry and philosophy.
I'm not an antichristian myself lol, I'm just part of the "all literature deserves equality" party. :)

EDIT: By the way, here's a link of the original text (thanks RuthieG). :)
Last edited by BLMeredith on December 20th, 2011, 9:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Do you have an online Etext link ? It always helps in getting people interested ?

Anne
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Ragnar Redbeard was a pseudonym and there seems to be no general agreement who the author actually was.

http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924029107907

It is titled on the Internet Archive as The survival of the fittest, or the Philosophy of power but the actual book scan says Might is Right or The survival of the fittest.

Libertarian historian James J. Martin called it "surely one of the most incendiary works ever to be published anywhere."

See article on Wikipedia HERE.
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
BLMeredith

Post by BLMeredith »

I know Ragnar Redbeard was a pseudonym, but wouldn't we just use the pseudonym to credit him/her? :)

Link now in opening post, by the way.
Last edited by BLMeredith on December 20th, 2011, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

No, that edition would not be OK. The preface states "leaving the 1910 text nearly unaltered". 'Nearly' is not good enough - this is a new copyrighted edition. The original 1896 version (link quoted in my post above) is in the public domain, and the fact that the author's name is a pseudonym is not a problem.

Ruth
BLMeredith

Post by BLMeredith »

Ahhh, I see where I've gotten confused then, the version I found was also off that website and I presumed we were both linking to the same version.
If the version in your post is the original - and it certainly looks like it - then maybe we'd like to do that one?
I'd love to have this book in audiobook form, as I take stuff in better that way, and would happily jump onboard to make it happen; hence my persistence! :p
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Just have to hope that someone picks this up, BL. Book Suggestions are just suggestions of course, and there's no guarantee that anyone will step in and start it right away. Sometimes it takes a while for someone willing to come along.

Ruth
BLMeredith

Post by BLMeredith »

That's fair enough. :) Still getting to grips with how this place works atm! lol