Hocus Pocus-book of magic tricks and juggling 1635

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Here is a book of magic tricks and juggling published in 1635: Hocus Pocus Junior: Anatomie of Legerdemain by Unknown. I'm not sure how it would turn out as an audio book, but it's really interesting. It is around 15,000 words so it may be a good solo project (not for me.) It says the book it was scanned from was donated to the library by Harry Houdini. Pretty cool!

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/34375
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
SopranoHarmony

Post by SopranoHarmony »

I do not have a particularly large history in Librivox but at first glance this seems like it could be interesting.

The things that I can see being difficult are (a) translating the older English into newer English (or pronouncing the older, if that is the appropriate decision) and (b) the reliance of some portions of text on the corresponding figures.

Like I said, I don't have a huge history with Librivox, particularly not from the logistical side of things, but those would be my thoughts.
- Lauren

Putting myself back on hiatus.
PL (prior, since they're not shown on the catalog page): Indian Child Life (DPL), Plato's Laws (solo)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

It does sound like a nice book. And, for your thoughts:
A. You will have to read the older english. Ask for help as much as you like. Librivox doesn't change the text.
B. The figers can be verbaly described, but it is a problem.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.