COMPLETE: The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling - CL/ce

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lyra211

Post by lyra211 »

This project is now complete. You can visit the catalog page here:

http://librivox.org/the-jungle-book-by-rudyard-kipling/

I noticed that there's a severe lack of Kipling in the LibriVox catalogue, with The Jungle Book conspicuously absent from any lists I can find!

I move to remedy this deficit. It won't be quick, and it will be my first solo work, but I think I can get it done (and if I can't, it can always be moved to "readers wanted" to let others in on the fun). :-)

So here we go... Mowgli and Shere Khan, here I come!

Gutenberg e-text:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/236

New Librivox uploader:
http://upload.librivox.org
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
Use "ce" for the MC for this project.

Edit me

Target completion date: September, 2008

Meredith
Last edited by lyra211 on October 5th, 2007, 7:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My wiki page:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/lyra211
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Hi Meredith! Nice to see you again. Excellent choice of work! :)

I'll be your MC for this project. I will need from you:

- ID3 tag scheme
- filename scheme
- summary (eventually)
- check in here ~1x/month, just to let me know you're still alive and interested in the project

You can send files using yousendit or any of the other Large File Senders mentioned here to me at: ceastmn AT gmail DOT com.

I'll go add this to the To Come - Solo Projects page shortly. :)
EDIT: Done!

-Catharine
Last edited by ceastman on September 21st, 2006, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

This looks great. I wonder how Disney has corrupted it? hee hee :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
lyra211

Post by lyra211 »

Catharine!
How lovely of you to MC for me! :D

The filename scheme will be
junglebook_##_kipling.mp3
and ID3 tags will be
Name: [same as filename]
Artist: Rudyard Kipling
Album: The Jungle Book

I'll send along a summary someday... (probably when I'm finished recording!)

Meredith
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

lyra211 wrote: The filename scheme will be
and ID3 tags will be
BTW.. your Title can be something more descriptive, with spaces, if you like. Current recommended format for books with named books is thus:
Chapter ## - Chapter Title

(This change was the result of figuring out that pretty much every MP3 player on the market displays the Album tag in addition to the Title tag while playing a recording. The validator no longer requires a lack of spaces in the title; I think it might have at one point.)

Anyway.

-Catharine
lyra211

Post by lyra211 »

Hello, Catharine!
Here's recording #1, at long last!
I put it up on my website temporarily at
http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~amhughes/junglebook_kipling_01a.mp3

Now, there are some organizational things which need attention... :-)
My chapter listings are (were) all wrong, because every other "chapter" listed was actually a short poem, which is why I wrote to you that the chapters are so long -- there are only seven chapters in the whole book!
I'm not particular about how this ought to be organized, but for the first recording, anyway, I changed the file naming scheme to
junglebook_kipling_01a.mp3
to show that it's the first half of the first chapter (The Hunting Song of the Seeonee Pack will go at the end of 01b, for example).
If you want to change it in some sensible way, be my guest (you suggested more descriptive titles, with spaces, for example, but it's a bit of a pain to do that in iTunes, which is where I change my ID3 tags -- if the spirit moves you to do it yourself, though, go ahead!).
Also, the files will need to be moved at some point, since I don't have enough space to keep them up on my website for long, so please let me know once you pick them up.
I think that's everything. This is a fun book -- looking forward to doing more of it!
Hope you had wonderful holidays and best wishes for the new year!
Meredith
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

lyra211 wrote:Hello, Catharine!
Here's recording #1, at long last!
I put it up on my website temporarily at
http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~amhughes/junglebook_kipling_01a.mp3
I've got it, both on my hard drive and on my server space - and I've updated the Listen! link. Spot check sounds fine! (What a surprise that is.... NOT!) ;)
lyra211 wrote:Now, there are some organizational things which need attention... :-)
My chapter listings are (were) all wrong, because every other "chapter" listed was actually a short poem, which is why I wrote to you that the chapters are so long -- there are only seven chapters in the whole book!
I'm not particular about how this ought to be organized, but for the first recording, anyway, I changed the file naming scheme to
junglebook_kipling_01a.mp3
to show that it's the first half of the first chapter (The Hunting Song of the Seeonee Pack will go at the end of 01b, for example).
If you want to change it in some sensible way, be my guest (you suggested more descriptive titles, with spaces, for example, but it's a bit of a pain to do that in iTunes, which is where I change my ID3 tags -- if the spirit moves you to do it yourself, though, go ahead!).
I'll do that in the Validator at cataloging time. Meanwhile, if you could paste your section descriptions (which look just fine) into the Title column of your table, that'd be great. (Means I won't have to have too many different tabs open at catalog time, if I can just copy everything over from the database page!)
lyra211 wrote:Also, the files will need to be moved at some point, since I don't have enough space to keep them up on my website for long, so please let me know once you pick them up.
Done, as noted above. :)

Thanks much for the file. Our holidays were fine, and I hope yours were too. Happy new year!

-Catharine
lyra211

Post by lyra211 »

ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Got it! Listen link added; spot check sounds good.

Yeah, ain't vacation wonderful?

-Catharine
Ted

Post by Ted »

Ceastman

This is Ted who has been emailing you about the Jungle Book Project. Here I am now. Would you mind helping me on how to upload the file?

Thanks millions. Ted
ceastman wrote:
lyra211 wrote: The filename scheme will be
and ID3 tags will be
BTW.. your Title can be something more descriptive, with spaces, if you like. Current recommended format for books with named books is thus:
Chapter ## - Chapter Title

(This change was the result of figuring out that pretty much every MP3 player on the market displays the Album tag in addition to the Title tag while playing a recording. The validator no longer requires a lack of spaces in the title; I think it might have at one point.)

Anyway.

-Catharine
Ted Nugent
Ted

Post by Ted »

Lyra 211

This is my ever favourite book!! Thanks for your initiative. I am still learning my way around here and i hope i will be able to give you a hand in this project soonest. I am new and terrible about computer, plus, English is not my first language, if you don't mind.

I have listened to you first chapter. My compliment to the reader!!

Cheers. Ted
Ted Nugent
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Hi Ted,

As noted in the email to you, I goofed. This is a solo project, which means that one reader reads all the chapters. But feel free to read your favorite chapter for the Favorite Chapters collection.

I'm really sorry I confused you!

-Catharine
lyra211

Post by lyra211 »

section 2a currently uploading to

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~amhughes/junglebook_kipling_02a.mp3

As usual, let me know when you pick it up...
Meredith (web space outlaw!)
My wiki page:
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

I have it at 6.9 MB. Is that right, or should I wait a while still?

-Catharine
lyra211

Post by lyra211 »

Thanks for being so quick! Unfortunately, it keeps stalling as I try to upload... I think you should wait a while still. Like, maybe tomorrow. :-)
Meredith
My wiki page: