Sense and Sensibility (dramatic reading) by Jane Austen - al

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (1775-1817)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/sense-and-sensibility-dramatic-reading-by-jane-austen/
The story is about Elinor and Marianne, two daughters of Mr Dashwood by his second wife. They have a younger sister, Margaret, and an older half-brother named John. When their father dies, the family estate passes to John, and the Dashwood women are left in reduced circumstances. The novel follows the Dashwood sisters to their new home, a cottage on a distant relative's property, where they experience both romance and heartbreak. The contrast between the sisters' characters is eventually resolved as they each find love and lasting happiness. Through the events in the novel, Elinor and Marianne encounter the sense and sensibility of life and love. In this dramatic reading, Librivox volunteers lend their voices to bring Jane Austen's classic story to life. (Summary by Wikipedia and wildemoose)
  1. Is there a deadline?

We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 12 March 2012.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you’d like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/161 but please read only from the Google Docs linked in the Magic Window.
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)

Bit Rate: 128 kbps

Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

[Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading narration, please include for each file:

At the beginning: Chapter [#] of Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Chapter [#]. At the end of the play, add End of Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:

Save files as 128 kbps MP3 senseandsensibility_role_#.mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the chapter number.

ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread): http://upload.librivox.org

(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)

You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: al - wildemoose
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

I'll finish up my last two sections on previous projects and then get stuck in! :) Looking forward to it.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Wonderful! No rush at all!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I might be doing a rather good job on Fanny Dashwood - what do you think? :hmm:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

I think you should! She's yours! :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If it's not too much pressure, could you assign me a part that you think would fit me? I was thinking of Mrs. Dashwood, but my voice might be too young for her (as I keep telling myself that the principal characters are MY age, and not young enough to be my children). :lol:

I don't recall who Mrs. Jennings is, but maybe she'd be good for me?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Tricia, just so you know, I'm 37 and I've read Arielle's mom like a billion times. :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Checking Fanny Dashwood's lines she said that "Mrs. Dashwood was barely 40". Should be ok, no?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Yeah, Tricia, I think you'd be fine for Mrs. Dashwood. As Ava pointed out, it is mentioned in the text that she's particularly young to be the mother of teenagers. Mrs. Jennings is a more elderly lady so that's going in the wrong direction. :) I would like to point out that I read Elizabeth's mom in something recently as well, so I'm not sure we're going for strict realism here. :lol:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I turned 38 on Sunday, so I guess I'm close enough to "barely 40". LOL!! I'll take it. ;)

(P.S. About a year ago, one of my old high school classmates mentioned on Facebook that she was a grandmother. At about 36-37 years old, a grandmother! Possible, of course - but oh, so depressing.)
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

TriciaG wrote: (P.S. About a year ago, one of my old high school classmates mentioned on Facebook that she was a grandmother. At about 36-37 years old, a grandmother! Possible, of course - but oh, so depressing.)
WHOA. I'm 27 and my mom is 52, and she has informed me that she's not old enough to be a grandmother, so that is kind of mind-boggling.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

She had her child at about 16 or 17, as I recall. So if her child had a baby at even 20, it's definitely possible.
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Funny the difference 200+ years makes in circumstances, isn't it? I'm Mrs. Dashwood's age, yet my (only) daughter is not even 3.

Happy birthday, Tricia! :)
AnnieLou

Post by AnnieLou »

I hesitate to volunteer when I haven't even gotten my test right, but I would like to try Mrs. Jennings. I could (probably) send you a sample or you could listen to my test in the LW forum.

I'm ONLY 38 :D but I think I could do a dowager role pretty well.
AnnieLou

There are only two or three human stories, and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before.
- Willa Cather
Ernst Pattynama

Post by Ernst Pattynama »

L.S.,
I'd be interested to read the part of Edward Ferrars. But... when downloading the Gutenberg text [161] I could not find it in chapter 5 ... And I cannot find the text in chapter 5 of the Penguin edition.
From what text should the part be read and where could I find it?
Thank you.
Ernst Pattynama
We are never so ridiculous for the qualities we have as for those we pretend to.