Hello, my name is Laura.

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
LauraS

Post by LauraS »

Hello, everybody, my name is Laura, I'm 19 and I'm from Portugal.
I found LibriVox trough Project Gutenberg and I immediatly found it very cool. The main reason why I wanted to join LibriVox is because I've always wondered how bad might be for blind people not to be able to access some of the most famous literature just because they can't use their eyes - of course, they can use braille books but I don't think they are very common or cheap... At least not in Portugal. So I thought that audiobooks would be something good to help them know more, to let them be able to hear all the stories we read. And, maybe, I can help a little bit more here in Portugal with this website :)

For now I think I will just listen to other people's recordings and help them with their projects. Maybe, later, I will be able to record some things myself and, who knows, will be able to work on a solo. Maybe I can make some friends interested, who knows? The point is: having fun and entertaining (and, sometimes, help) the others :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome, Laura! We can always use more proof-listeners, if that's where you would like to start. Here's a good page to read: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners

We have a couple of blind readers here, which I find really fascinating. One lady puts the books into a kind of braille machine - almost like a teleprompter for blind people, I guess, giving her a bit at a time. And she's doing great at recording! There are a couple other members that don't read but do proof-listen and coordinate projects. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
LauraS

Post by LauraS »

That is amazing!
I will certainly begin with proof-listening. It also help me understand a little bit better how this works.

Thank you for your welcome message! :)