Another Introduction

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
AdrianR

Post by AdrianR »

Hello All
It was suggested that I introduce myself - so, I am a 47 year old, male, teacher of English Lit - currently based in Mexico but British by birth. I originally trained as an actor (many years ago) before switching to something more lucrative, then for something I enjoy (teaching).

I have been an editor on Wikipedia since 2005 and contribute daily to many fora (often under a pseudonym, however) - my internet involvement dates back to 1996 and I have, in the past, kept several long blogs (one spanning 7 years about my experience here in Mexico) and maintain my own website about vintage British radios.

Looking forward to helping here!
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Welcome Adrian! Thanks for joining! Lots on interesting things going on for you! There are many varied ways you can volunteer here, in addition to reading, if you are so inclined. These include proof-listening (checking for errors - very important!), making cd covers, converting files into iTunes-ready audiobooks (m4b's), etc.

If you'd like to try Proof-Listening, here's a link to the Guide for Proof-Listeners: Guide for Proof-Listeners

As far as recording goes, the files we make do have to be in a certain format: mp3, mono, 44,100Hz, 16-bit, 128kbps and usually louder than most people think! Here's the Newbie Guide to Recording which you may not need, but I'll link it anyway: Newbie Guide to Recording.

And we respectfully urge a 1 Minute Test, to help you get things all set up! Here's a link to the 1-Minute Test Recording: 1-Minute Test that eplains how to do all that. You would upload your test and then post the link to the test as a new thread in the Listeners Wanted Forum. Instructions are in the link, including where to upload the link, the username and the password to use, etc. This test is not for any kind of audition purposes, just to make sure that it fits our format technically and that your levels are okay.

One of our volunteers, Philchenevert, has created several great videos that you might find helpful in learning more about Librivox. Here's a list of them: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/User:Philchenevert

People here are very helpful and friendly, so don't be afraid to ask any questions you have along the way. You can just ask away in this same thread if you have any trouble.

Remember, have fun!
Samanem :D
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|
LauraS

Post by LauraS »

Welcome, AdrianR!
Hope you have fun :)
AdrianR

Post by AdrianR »

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I just posted a link to a 1 Minute Test with a request for comments and, hopefully, I'll have positive feedback.
Meanwhile, time to browse and see what I can get involved with! :D