COMPLETE: [TRAVEL] Our Journey to Sinai by Agnes Bensly -le

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/our-journey-to-sinai-by-agnes-von-blomberg-bensly/

Leni has graciously agreed to MC this project. A DPL would be appreciated. Our Journey to Sinai is entertaining and enlightening both--travel literature at it's best.

Our Journey to Sinai by Agnes von Blomberg Bensly (dates unknown, her husband Robert Bensly's dates were 1831-1893) .
Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!
Fortress-walled Saint Catherine's monastery on the Sinai peninsula has been a pilgrimage site since its founding by the Byzantine Emperor Justinian in the 6th century. According to tradition, the monastery sits at the base of the mountain where Moses received the Tablets of the Law. Set in rugged country, accessible in times past only by a many days journey by camel across barren desert, the monastery survived intact through the centuries, and, as a result, became a rich repository of religious history—told through its icons, mosaics, and the books and manuscripts in the monastery library.

Our Journey to Sinai by Agnes Bensly is the story of a visit to Saint Catherine's by a group of British scholars in the 1890's, who were drawn there in quest of manuscripts from early Christian times. The group had one particular prize in their sights. It was a second century translation of the Gospels from Greek into an Aramaic dialect called Syriac. This was a rare find indeed. One of the group, Agnes Smith Lewis, an accomplished linguist, had been to the monastery once before. On that visit, she had spotted a “palimpsest of most venerable appearance,” a palimpsest being a parchment (leather) paged book, which had been used to write on at two different times, the first set of writing having been partially scraped off the parchment before it was reused. Agnes Smith Lewis had recognized the hidden underwriting in this book to be in Syriac, “the native language of Our Lord and His disciples.” And now, the excited group had decided to revisit Saint Catherine's, in hopes of copying and reading the ancient text. Their trip is vividly described by Agnes Bensly --bustling Cairo; a tent and camel crossing of the desert with Bedouin guides; the monks and monastery life; a breathtaking climb up 3000 stone steps to the top of Mount Sinai, and what they found in the mysterious manuscript they had come so far to see.

Our Journey to Sinai, while providing a glimpse into the complexities of Bible scholarship, is also a wonderful travel book and an intimate portrait of Saint Catherine's monastery—a monastery which is, today, a World Heritage Site. (Introduction by Sue Anderson)
  • Target completion date: August 15, 2011
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://books.google.com/books?id=86wsAAAAYAAJ&dq=editions%3A86wsAAAAYAAJ&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false
  • Type of proof-listening required : Standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Our Journey to Sinai. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by Sue Anderson"
    • Say: " Our Journey to Sinai, by Agnes Bensly.. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Our Journey to Sinai by Agnes Bensly. . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Our Journey to Sinai, by Agnes Bensly.."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    ourjourneytosinai_#_bensly.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: # - [Section title]
    Artist: Agnes von Blomberg Bensly
    Album: Our Journey to Sinai
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: le - Leni
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Hey Sue.
I can DPL this for you.

MaryAnn
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Sorry for the delay, Sue. Setting it up now.
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

All set, Sue. I added MaryAnn as DPL as well. :)
Leni
=================
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi MaryAnn and Leni, Thanks so much both of you. :) MaryAnn, I think you'll like this book much better than von Forstner! Leni was the one who told me about the topic, and once I started reading about the people involved in deciphering the manuscript, and their journey across the desert to Saint Catherine's monastery, I was fascinated. I've got the intro & chapter 1 recorded, so I'll have something posted soon. Sue
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I was a bit perplexed. The intro says it was originally written in braille because she was blind - but is that the same woman who noticed the washed out text on the old book? Pretty good eyes for a blind lady - or I'm very confused.

MaryAnn
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/ourjourneytosinai_0_bensly.mp3
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/ourjourneytosinai_1_bensly.mp3

Hi there, MaryAnn, Here is the into and chapter one. My feeling is that the "editor's comments" would do nothing but confuse a listener, and so I am starting with Agnes Bensly's own introduction to her book. There are two Agnes'--Agnes (von Blomberg) Bensly, who wrote this book, and Agnes Smith Lewis, who is the traveller-scholar who first discovered the palimpsest. Agnes Bensly was married to a Cambridge orientalist, Robert Bensly, who is one of the group that journeys to the monastery to look at the palimpsest orignally discovered by Agnes Smith Lewis. Agnes Bensly and her husband Robert did not fare to well after their trip; Robert died three days after returning to England, and his wife went blind. She did orignally write the book in braille. Hope this clarifies! Sue
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Moving this to Going Solo. :)
Leni
=================
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

sidneyg

Post by sidneyg »

sections 3-5 PL OK. (Sue's husband)