[COMPLETE]The Haunted Man&the Ghost's Bargain by Dickens-ni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
rf

Post by rf »

The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain by Charles Dickens (7 February 1812 – 9 June 1870) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-haunted-man-and-the-ghosts-bargain-by-charles-dickens/
The Haunted Man and the Ghost’s Bargain, A Fancy for Christmas-Time, (better known as The Haunted Man and the Ghost’s Bargain) is a novella by Charles Dickens first published in 1848. It is the fifth and last of Dickens' Christmas novellas. The story is more about the spirit of the holidays than about the holidays themselves, harking back to the first of the series, A Christmas Carol. The tale centers around a Professor Redlaw and those close to him. (Summary from the Wikipedia).
  • Target completion date:: July 01, 2011
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/644
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

MAGIC WINDOW:

(Admin link)

===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

Soloist - please provide *all of* the following:
    [list]
    [*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Charles_dickens
    [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/The_Haunted_Man
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 10
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]:n
    [*]Original publication date (if known):19 December 1848
    [*]Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is author's death + 50 or 70 years):9 June 1870
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================
[/size]
[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Chapter [number], section [number] of The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Say:
    "The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain, by Charles Dickens]. Chapter [number], section [number]"
For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number], Section [number] of The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain by Charles Dickens.. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    End of Chapter [number], section [number] "
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain, by Charles Dickens."
There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename
thehauntedman_##_dickens.mp3

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Title: ## - [Chapter title, section number]
Artist: Charles Dickens
Album: The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain

[*]Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: ni - neerajanagarajan
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]
neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan »

Hey rf,

I'll MC this for you. Be right back with your Magic Window. :)

ETA - The MW's up! Let's stay here for a couple of days and see if we can get a DPL. Have fun with your solo! :D
rf

Post by rf »

neerajanagarajan,

Thanks for MC'ing. I appreciate your volunteering. I'll try to make life as easy as I can for you.

Thanks,

rf
rf

Post by rf »

Here is section 01,

Title : 01 - The Gift Bestowed, Part 1
Upload URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ni/thehauntedman_01_dickens.mp3
Duration : 00:20:31.12
File Size : 19.7M

Thanks,

rf
rf

Post by rf »

Here is section 02:

Title : 02 - The Gift Bestowed, Part 2
Upload URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ni/thehauntedman_02_dickens.mp3
Duration : 00:19:18.11
File Size : 18.5M

Also, with two sections now available, I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone who would care to listen, regarding the use of different voices for different characters. I'm trying to use different voices, however, I'm not fully confident of being able to do it well. The alternative is to do a plain vanilla reading.

Most important is a reading that is enjoyable to listen to. So should anyone have an opinion regarding the voices used here, please let me know.

I'd rather find out early if the different voices sound OK or don't. That way if sections need re-done there are fewer to re-do.

Section 2 has the largest number of different of voices, 4. Section 1 only has two different voices.

In addition, if the different voices are OK, I'd also appreciate any tips on how a male can do voices that sound female, sufficiently to be enjoyed.

Thanks,

rf
coenders

Post by coenders »

Greetings to you all,

I have done 'The haunted man and the ghost's bargain' in Dutch so I would like to DPL this project in English

http://librivox.org/de-behekste-man-of-de-gesloten-koop-by-charles-dickens/

Greetings Marcel Coenders
'Zoo ik iéts ben, ben ik een Hagenaar...' (Louis Couperus)
Stil de Tijd
rf

Post by rf »

Here is a revised section 1:

Input File : 'thehauntedman_01_dickens.mp3'
Upload URL : http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ni/thehauntedman_01_dickens.mp3
Duration : 00:20:06.98
File Size : 19.3M

This a regular reading, without voice characterizations.

######

Here is a revised section 2:

Input File : 'thehauntedman_02_dickens.mp3'
Upload URL : http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ni/thehauntedman_02_dickens.mp3
Duration : 00:19:21.61
File Size : 18.6M

This a regular reading, without voice characterizations.

#####

Here is section 3:

Input File : 'thehauntedman_03_dickens.mp3'
Upload URL : http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ni/thehauntedman_03_dickens.mp3
Duration : 00:22:06.17
File Size : 21.2M

#####

I tried the voice characterizations in sections 1 and 2 and decided that they weren't where I wanted to go. Therefore, I re-recorded those sections normally. Section 3 is a normal recording also.

#####

Marcel,

This is my first solo, so I don't quite know the protocol as to how things are organized. However, as the reader, I welcome you as the DPL and am grateful for your interest and effort.

Thanks

rf
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Edited by Author.
I apologize I didn't see that someone has volunteered to be your DPL already. You should have feedback on your sections soon.
coenders

Post by coenders »

I just finished proof listening section 1 it is ok, in fact it was realy great marvelous well read :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

But now I don't know who is proof listening?? Ok it is me.

rf

can you please give me BC acces to the Magic Window.

Greetings Marcel
Stil de Tijd
rf

Post by rf »

Marcel,

I've done a modest number of readings. However , this is my first solo, and first instance as BC. therefore I'm still learning. I just found some of the BC wiki pages. As soon as I read and understand them, I'll give both of us BC status. I expect to have that done in the next day or so, I'm confident to have the material read before the weekend.

As for DPL, you indicated an interest first. Therefore, I would expect it to be you. However, I would suggest that you might send a PM to libraryanne and discuss it with her. I'm quite flexible in the arrangements, as long as we all are reasonably comfortable with the result.

Thanks

rf
coenders

Post by coenders »

rf,

section 2 Chapter 1 part 2 PL - OK
section 3 Chapter 2 part 3 PL - OK

Greetings Marcel
Stil de Tijd
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

No No, It's fine, coenders is the DPL.
I posted by error cause I saw that this might be a ghost story project. I'll download the project when it's in the catalog. I'm sure it'll be great. Have fun recording and PL'ing.

Betty
neerajanagarajan

Hi Marcel, thanks! I've put you in as DPL! Do you need your login credentials for the MW or have you got them already?
coenders

Post by coenders »

Greetings,

So now everything is runnings smoothly, only 7 sections to go and the job is finished. !!!!!!!!!

Greetings Marcel
Stil de Tijd
neerajanagarajan

Yay, that's great! :thumbs: