Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Wow, I'm totally impressed by all these scripts being prepared. :shock:
That is a tremendous amount of work.

Are the available MCs maxed out doing DRs?

Of all the projects I've run, I've never had the daring to take on a DR, but keep thinking someday I would love to take the plunge. I think these are some of the stronger things LibriVox has to offer, and I love participating in them. So, high praised to the BCs and MCs who take these on!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
wib66

Post by wib66 »

I am preparing the scripts for the Elsie Dinsmore series by Martha Finley as dramatic reads. Some are in the catalogue as group projects or solos, but not as dramatic readings.

Elsie Dinsmore
Elsie's Girlhood
Elsie' Womanhood
Elsie's Motherhood
Elsie's Children
Grandmother Elsie
Elsie's Widowhood
Christmas with Grandma Elsie (recording in progress)
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Could I suggest that if one of you were prepared to set up and curate a post for "scripts being prepared" you could have something like this viewtopic.php?t=101217 . Otherwise anything you post does tend to get drowned in other posts. You'd need to be firm on what you added for it to be useful. And to be around enough to keep it up to date.

Anne
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

annise wrote: February 9th, 2024, 5:25 am Could I suggest that if one of you were prepared to set up and curate a post for "scripts being prepared" you could have something like this viewtopic.php?t=101217 . Otherwise anything you post does tend to get drowned in other posts. You'd need to be firm on what you added for it to be useful. And to be around enough to keep it up to date.

Anne
I could do that. Thanks, Anne.

I'll make a post shortly, gathering what I can from recent comments.

I will love input from other DR BCs regarding that post! It's for us, not me. 8-)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Has anyone ever thought of doing The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes: https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/834 and/or The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes: https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/69700 ? I have been enjoying listening to the Librivox dramatic readings of the Sherlock Holmes books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle while working and these seem to be the only ones missing, there are non-dramatic readings of them but I think it would still be nice to have the whole set as DRs as well
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Inkell wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 6:56 pm Has anyone ever thought of doing The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes: https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/834 and/or The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes: https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/69700 ? I have been enjoying listening to the Librivox dramatic readings of the Sherlock Holmes books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle while working and these seem to be the only ones missing, there are non-dramatic readings of them but I think it would still be nice to have the whole set as DRs as well
I’m very glad to hear that you are enjoying the Sherlock Holmes DRs, Inkell! Peter Yearsley and I (who have been reading Holmes and Watson respectively) are preparing more for this series and Peter has already scripted Memoirs, although it is looking like we will be doing a Sherlock Holmes play first. I don’t have any room to run more DRs right now and Peter has decided that he doesn’t want to BC a DR. I intend to launch the play very soon, probably next week.
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

victoriaalicebell wrote: February 8th, 2024, 7:17 am Is anyone interested in reading for The Box-Car Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner? I'd like to bc a dramatic of this.
I'm interested in narrating if the spot is still available☺️

Marie
Marie Christian
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

redrun wrote: February 8th, 2024, 8:51 am
norahnelson wrote: February 8th, 2024, 8:14 am
victoriaalicebell wrote: February 8th, 2024, 7:17 am Is anyone interested in reading for The Box-Car Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner? I'd like to bc a dramatic of this.
I was already planning on BC/Editing a DR for this book in the next month. I have the scripts almost ready, but if you would like to be a part of it that would be great!
Do please be sure you have both a narrator and an editor signed on before posting in the launch pad. Folks can consider this your recruitment pitch. :wink:
I would be happy to narrate if still needed.
Marie :)
Marie Christian
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

mariechristian wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 11:58 am
norahnelson wrote: February 8th, 2024, 8:14 am

I was already planning on BC/Editing a DR for this book in the next month. I have the scripts almost ready, but if you would like to be a part of it that would be great!
Do please be sure you have both a narrator and an editor signed on before posting in the launch pad. Folks can consider this your recruitment pitch. :wink:
Oops! I saw it's already underway and has a narrator :thumbs:
Marie Christian
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

mariechristian wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 12:07 pm

Hi Marie, yes I do have a narrator, but there are a few minor parts left if you are interested. And maybe you could help me edit, if you want to do something more time consuming.

Thank you,
~Norah Leigh ~
"Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen!" Luke 24:5-6
[DR, Children]The Box-Car Children (Only 6 small roles open!)
[Group, History]In the Days of Queen Elizabeth (Full)
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

norahnelson wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 12:08 pm

Hi Marie, yes I do have a narrator, but there are a few minor parts left if you are interested. And maybe you could help me edit, if you want to do something more time consuming.

Thank you,
Hi, thank you! I'm just wanting to narrate at this time. I have narrated a couple of plays, but am now looking for a book. I find solos with dialogues to be exhausting so lately I have been focusing on nonfiction. But I think narrating a book for a DR will give me the best of both worlds :D
Marie Christian
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

mariechristian wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 12:18 pm
norahnelson wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 12:08 pm

Thank you,
Hi, thank you! I'm just wanting to narrate at this time. I have narrated a couple of plays, but am now looking for a book. I find solos with dialogues to be exhausting so lately I have been focusing on nonfiction. But I think narrating a book for a DR will give me the best of both worlds :D
Ok! :thumbs:
~Norah Leigh ~
"Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen!" Luke 24:5-6
[DR, Children]The Box-Car Children (Only 6 small roles open!)
[Group, History]In the Days of Queen Elizabeth (Full)
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Salvationist wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 2:37 am I’m very glad to hear that you are enjoying the Sherlock Holmes DRs, Inkell! Peter Yearsley and I (who have been reading Holmes and Watson respectively) are preparing more for this series and Peter has already scripted Memoirs, although it is looking like we will be doing a Sherlock Holmes play first. I don’t have any room to run more DRs right now and Peter has decided that he doesn’t want to BC a DR. I intend to launch the play very soon, probably next week.
Well that’s good to know! Peter Yearsley is a great Sherlock, he sounds very like how I always imagined Sherlock to sound, not sure which Watson you are (each I’ve heard so far has a different voice and I don’t know whose who with usernames/real names except for those with the same) but I have enjoyed them all so far, the casts in general have been good. Are you open to collaborating with others? If the scripts are ready and you just need a BC, you might be able to find someone who is willing to run it for you. Regardless, good luck with your play! :thumbs: I didn't realize they had started so early on with Sherlock adaptions
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Inkell wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 5:46 pm Well that’s good to know! Peter Yearsley is a great Sherlock, he sounds very like how I always imagined Sherlock to sound, not sure which Watson you are (each I’ve heard so far has a different voice and I don’t know whose who with usernames/real names except for those with the same) but I have enjoyed them all so far, the casts in general have been good. Are you open to collaborating with others? If the scripts are ready and you just need a BC, you might be able to find someone who is willing to run it for you. Regardless, good luck with your play! :thumbs: I didn't realize they had started so early on with Sherlock adaptions
Thank you for the encouragement, Inkell! I have portrayed Watson in all of the Sherlock Holmes DRs in which Peter Yearsley has portrayed Holmes with one exception: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. The DRs we have completed together thus far are Four Noncanonical Sherlock Holmes Short Stories, A Study in Scarlet, and The Valley of Fear. Yes, Peter has expressed his willingness for someone else to BC the DR of The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes using the script he has prepared and both he and I are excited to reprise our roles, so if you know any one who is interested in BCing Memoirs for us, they would be welcome!
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Salvationist wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 6:51 pm Thank you for the encouragement, Inkell! I have portrayed Watson in all of the Sherlock Holmes DRs in which Peter Yearsley has portrayed Holmes with one exception: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. The DRs we have completed together thus far are Four Noncanonical Sherlock Holmes Short Stories, A Study in Scarlet, and The Valley of Fear. Yes, Peter has expressed his willingness for someone else to BC the DR of The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes using the script he has prepared and both he and I are excited to reprise our roles, so if you know any one who is interested in BCing Memoirs for us, they would be welcome!
I have been listening to the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle books in publication order, so far hearing A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four and am nearly finished with The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes which is why I went to check the next (Memoirs) and saw no DR version, I am not familiar with four non-canonical Sherlock Holmes short stories. I don't exactly know anyone interested but since you have mentioned it here maybe someone who is will see it, the scripts being prepared already seems like half the battle. I might be interested in doing it myself actually, when my play collection is complete or at least further along