Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
victoriaalicebell

Post by victoriaalicebell »

Bookworm360 wrote: December 1st, 2023, 7:32 pm
Salvationist wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 5:15 am
victoriaalicebell wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 10:39 am To my knowledge there has only been one Anne of Green Gables DR. There have been many solos and a few group projects. What are everyone's thoughts on a second one? I'd happily BC it.

If this were to take place, I would like to take a larger role. Maybe Diana.
It is very uncommon for LibriVox to produce multiple DRs of the same text. I can only think of two times that it has ever happened. Coordinating a DR is a major undertaking, especially when it is of a whole novel, and there are so many texts that haven’t yet been recorded as DRs that most contributors would rather their energies go to expanding the number of DR titles in the catalogue. I love Anne of Green Gables, and I won’t stand in your way if your heart is set on coordinating a second DR of this text, but I would strongly encourage you to consider alternative texts. Lucy Maud Montgomery wrote many short stories that have not yet been recorded as DRs, and these would make great contributions to the catalogue. If you would rather coordinate a novel, Montgomery wrote a similar story to the Anne novels called Emily of New Moon that still isn’t in the catalogue as a DR:

https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/61236
I personally would be happy to help with both! They’re terrific books and personal favorites.
Awesome! I've finished 1/3 of the Anne of Green Gables script.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Ivanhoe has gone live: Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
IonaMuirgel2002

Post by IonaMuirgel2002 »

I hope I am on the right thread this time! (feel free to correct me if I am not :D ) I think it would be wonderful to make a dramatic work of 'Elsie Dinsmore' by Martha Finley! but, just an idea :wink:

-Iona Lean Muirgel
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."
-Phyllis Diller

"There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.” – Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle 8-)
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

Would there be any interest in a DR of Anthony Hope's Prisoner of Zenda? There's a wonderful solo by Andy Minter, but I'd love a dramatic version. It would require someone who's willing to narrate (as the first person POV main character) and I'd prefer that role at least to be gender correct. I'd be up for BCing if there's anyone who would want to read that part. DM me if you're interested :)
Adele

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

Would there be any interest in a DR of Anthony Hope's Prisoner of Zenda? There's a wonderful solo by Andy Minter, but I'd love a dramatic version. It would require someone who's willing to narrate (as the first person POV main character) and I'd prefer that role at least to be gender correct. I'd be up for BCing if there's anyone who would want to read that part. DM me if you're interested :)
Adele

Post by Salvationist »

AdeledePignerolles wrote: December 21st, 2023, 11:51 am Would there be any interest in a DR of Anthony Hope's Prisoner of Zenda? There's a wonderful solo by Andy Minter, but I'd love a dramatic version. It would require someone who's willing to narrate (as the first person POV main character) and I'd prefer that role at least to be gender correct. I'd be up for BCing if there's anyone who would want to read that part. DM me if you're interested :)
Congratulations on finishing grad school, Adele! It’s great to have you back on LibriVox. Your proposal of a Prisoner of Zenda DR sounds delightful! I don’t have the capacity to take on such a large role as the narrator at the moment, but I wish you success in finding someone to narrate.
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
victoriaalicebell

Is anyone interested in reading for The Box-Car Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner? I'd like to bc a dramatic of this.
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

victoriaalicebell wrote: February 8th, 2024, 7:17 am Is anyone interested in reading for The Box-Car Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner? I'd like to bc a dramatic of this.
I was already planning on BC/Editing a DR for this book in the next month. I have the scripts almost ready, but if you would like to be a part of it that would be great!
~Norah Leigh ~
"Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen!" Luke 24:5-6
[DR, Children]The Box-Car Children (Only 6 small roles open!)
[Group, History]In the Days of Queen Elizabeth (Full)
wib66

Post by wib66 »

IonaMuirgel2002 wrote: December 7th, 2023, 9:16 am I hope I am on the right thread this time! (feel free to correct me if I am not :D ) I think it would be wonderful to make a dramatic work of 'Elsie Dinsmore' by Martha Finley! but, just an idea :wink:

-Iona Lean Muirgel
Hi I am currently working on Christmas with Grandma Elsie by Marth Finley as a dramatic reading. I plan to do some of the others once this is finished.

viewtopic.php?t=101448
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

norahnelson wrote: February 8th, 2024, 8:14 am
victoriaalicebell wrote: February 8th, 2024, 7:17 am Is anyone interested in reading for The Box-Car Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner? I'd like to bc a dramatic of this.
I was already planning on BC/Editing a DR for this book in the next month. I have the scripts almost ready, but if you would like to be a part of it that would be great!
Do please be sure you have both a narrator and an editor signed on before posting in the launch pad. Folks can consider this your recruitment pitch. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
victoriaalicebell

Sorry about that, I searched the forum for Box-Car just to make sure. I must've missed your claim! :lol: Can't wait till it's ready.
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

redrun wrote: February 8th, 2024, 8:51 am
Do please be sure you have both a narrator and an editor signed on before posting in the launch pad. Folks can consider this your recruitment pitch. :wink:
OK, I was planning on doing that, but I just haven't yet. :thumbs:
~Norah Leigh ~
"Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen!" Luke 24:5-6
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

victoriaalicebell wrote: February 8th, 2024, 12:00 pm
Sorry about that, I searched the forum for Box-Car just to make sure. I must've missed your claim! :lol: Can't wait till it's ready.
That's totally ok, I have mentioned wanting to do it a few times before, but I just haven't launched it yet.
~Norah Leigh ~
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a dedicated post for novels that people have in planning, but aren't quite ready to run?

I mean, we put a huge amount of work into scripting a full novel, and I would really rather not unknowingly start working on a novel that somebody else already has sweat equity in.

From my end, I already have all the scripts made for "Unnatural Death, by Dorothy L. Sayers," as it entered PD before the series' second book did (Clouds of Witness, currently running), and I was almost finished with those scripts when Clouds went PD - but being detail-oriented, I preferred running book 2 before book 3. :lol: I'll put Unnatural Death up when we finish Clouds.

And I have scripts for "Downright Dencey, by Caroline Dale Snedeker" (a Children's Newbery selection) awaiting a turn to run. Scott will probably run it for me when The Great Quest finishes up, unless something strikes his eye that he wants to do.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

LCaulkins wrote: February 8th, 2024, 2:56 pm Wouldn't it be nice if we had a dedicated post for novels that people have in planning, but aren't quite ready to run?

I mean, we put a huge amount of work into scripting a full novel, and I would really rather not unknowingly start working on a novel that somebody else already has sweat equity in.

From my end, I already have all the scripts made for "Unnatural Death, by Dorothy L. Sayers," as it entered PD before the series' second book did (Clouds of Witness, currently running), and I was almost finished with those scripts when Clouds went PD - but being detail-oriented, I preferred running book 2 before book 3. :lol: I'll put Unnatural Death up when we finish Clouds.

And I have scripts for "Downright Dencey, by Caroline Dale Snedeker" (a Children's Newbery selection) awaiting a turn to run. Scott will probably run it for me when The Great Quest finishes up, unless something strikes his eye that he wants to do.
Great idea, Lynette! I'm glad to hear that you'll be continuing with the Lord Wimsey series.

In light of your suggestion, I will declare which DR scripts I have been working on as well. I am currently actively preparing the script for a DR of The Further Adventures of Zorro by Johnston McCulley. I have already finished preparing scripts of Teddy's Button by Amy Le Feuvre and Joe Angus by John Hollins.

I have also been preparing DR scripts for books of the World English Bible. Thus far, I have completed the scripts for Proverbs and Jude and have started on John.

My hope is to run The Further Adventures of Zorro once The Watsons is complete. If I haven't finished preparing the Zorro script by that time, I may run Jude first.
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms