[COMP]Coffee Break Collection 005-Love and Relationships -lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

Coffee Break Collection 005 - Love and Relationships.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/coffee-break-collection-005-love-and-relationships/
Welcome! This is the fifth collection of our "coffee break" series, involving public domain works that are between 3 and 15 minutes in length. These are great for work/study breaks, commutes, workouts, or any time you'd like to hear a whole story and only have a few minutes to devote to listening. The theme for Collection 005 is "Love and Relationships", and may include romance, marriage, family relationships, friendships, working relationships, or even human-animal connections! [Summary by Rosie]
NEW READERS: Please read the Newbie Guide to Recording and do a short test recording before submitting here, just to make sure that all your settings are OK. Then please read this post carefully and refer back to it. It has all the information you need to submit a recording successfully.

Here's how this works: If you would like to contribute to this collection, please find any public domain work in the English language that will take you between 3 and 15 minutes to record. Please note: 2000 words of text take the average reader about 15 minutes to read. (If it ends up being longer than that, you can submit it to any of the short story collections). Whenever you finish, you will upload it and post in the thread, following the directions below. Once we reach 20 submissions, we'll catalog the collection!

We kindly ask that readers contribute up to 3 recordings for each Coffee Break collection to ensure that all interested readers get a chance for submission.

You are welcome to contribute as many as you wish, and there is no need to "sign-up" before recording as long as the work is clearly in the public domain. Please post here if you are unsure about public domain status.

This collection's theme is love and relationships. Please find works that involve romance, marriage, family relationships, friendships, working relationships, or even human-animal connections! All are acceptable.

Where do I find ideas? The Bookshelf at Project Gutenberg is a great place to start: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Category:Bookshelf
You can also go to the Gutenberg main page and search for title words like "short romance", "short family", etc.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Word Perfect

1. RECORD
  • Be sure to set your recording software to: 44100Hz, 16-bit
  • At the BEGINNING Say: "[Title of Work], by [Author Name] from [Title of Anthology]. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox Recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org"
  • At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author Name]"
  • If you wish, you may also say: "Read by...your name."
  • Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.
2. EDIT and SAVE your file:
  • Need noise-cleaning?Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear distracting background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The free beta version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide. Note: Noisecleaning with earlier versions of Audacity (1.2.x) is not recommended.
  • ID3 Tags:
    • • Title/Name: [Title]
      • Artist: [Author Name]
      • Album: LibriVox Coffee Break Collection Vol. 005
  • Save or export your recording to an mp3 file at 128kpbs using the following filename:
    • File Name: Put file name all in lowercase, and the title all in one word (no leading articles i.e. the, a, an, and NO SPACES): coffeebreak005_shorttitleinoneword_readersinitials.mp3,
      e.g. coffeebreak005_modestproposal_lf.mp3
3. SUBMIT your recording:
Please upload your finished recording using the LibriVox uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please copy to post in this thread):
http://upload.librivox.org
If you have trouble reading the image above, please send a private message to any admin
You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lz - lezer.
*If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

4. POST the following information in this thread:
  • • The link you copied from the uploader to your file
    • Name of your story
    • Author (birth year - death year)
    • Translator if applicable (birth year - death year)
    • Source from which you read (i.e. Gutenberg etext url)
    • Length in minutes of your file
    • If this is your first Librivox recording, I will also need your name as you would like it to appear on the catalogue page and the URL of your homepage if you have one and would like it linked to your name on the catalogue page.

(BC admin link)

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by LibriFoxy on December 19th, 2010, 3:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rosie in Boston

Coffee Break Collection 12 is up and looking for readers! Theme: The Performing Arts!
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

I feel im rather early :lol:
But can I DPL this project?
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

ashleighjane wrote:I feel im rather early :lol:
But can I DPL this project?
Of course you can! Yay! Glad to have you on board. :) Sorry about the Word Perfect-ness, but I figured since these are such short pieces, I hoped it wouldn't be too much of a hassle. Also, I feel pretty strongly that someone hearing an audiobook should be hearing the exact wording of the work in question. (I know we're all volunteers and such, but I just think it's important.) 8-) Thanks again!!!
Rosie in Boston

Coffee Break Collection 12 is up and looking for readers! Theme: The Performing Arts!
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

LibriFoxy wrote:Sorry about the Word Perfect-ness,
That's not a problem :D I often get distracted listening to audio books, so it'll be handy for me to have to read along with the text rather than suddenly realise I don't know what's happened in the last five minutes :oops:
I think word-perfectness is important. I keep recording a sentence over and over til every word is right, and in the correct order. Which can be very frustrating, but at least at the end i have the satisfaction of knowing everything is right. :lol:
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

Great! Thanks for understanding :) Now we'll just await our MC and get movin' 8-)
Rosie in Boston

lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi LibriFoxy,
Collections always cost more work for the MC to catalogue, so that's why they don't get picked up very quickly.... But I can be your MC for this one. I'll be back with an MW and some more comments later this evening (my time zone evening that is :D)
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

Back :)
And everyone's all ready to go!
I've fiddled around a little with your first post, I hope you don't mind... I thought it was important to stress the fact that contributions have to be within the public domain, and also all the information that readers need to supply when they upload a recording.

I see you have experience as BC, LibriFoxy - but don't hesitate to ask if a question pops up. Also, have you ever worked with the part of the behind-the-scenes-pages in the MW that is called "Compilation info" ? (It's in the right-hand menu in the MW). This is where all information on individual contributions to a collection is stored. It works just about as easy as the MW - you could help out greatly if you could try to keep that updated. I could fill in the first few, to show you how it's done (authors last name, first name etc), but perhaps you could try it then?

And ashleighjane - great that we have a DPL already. I believe you've never been a DPL before? I'll PM you some information, because as a DPL you have acces to the MW, and can enter your PL notes directly to the MW.

I suggest we move over to Readers Wanted: Short Works!!

Have fun :D

Anna
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

lezer wrote:Back :)

And ashleighjane - great that we have a DPL already. I believe you've never been a DPL before? I'll PM you some information, because as a DPL you have acces to the MW, and can enter your PL notes directly to the MW.
No, I haven't ever been a DPL before. I got your PM. Thanks for that :)
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

Anna, thanks so much for adopting us and setting up the project! I would love to learn more about the compilation info. I'll send you a PM sometime soon to discuss it! (I'm only one for a moment now.) And thanks so much for the helpful additions to the first message. This is my first compilation project so I just sort of made it up. Looks great now!!
Rosie in Boston

wordnerd210

Post by wordnerd210 »

goldawardadventures.blogspot.com-- My children's literature blog! Please visit.
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

Thanks so much for our first entry!! :)
Rosie in Boston

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

wordnerd210 wrote:A Haunted House, by Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)
Length: 5:29
MP3: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/coffeebreak005_hountedhouse_mbb.mp3
Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29220/29220-h/29220-h.htm
At 4:00 you say 'we hear no steps BEHIND us', where behind should be BESIDE

At 4:20 you say 'flames stoop' which should be 'flame stoop' I think maybe you can get away with that, but i'll leave the bc, LibriFoxy/Rosie, to decide this.

Also there is a lot of background hiss, which I couldnt remove with noise removal. Im no expert, so i cant say what the cause of this is, but maybe someone else with more experience will know.

However, it is a great recording :mrgreen: I hope the backgorund hiss is fixable
seanrandall

Post by seanrandall »

Haven't the Change, by T. S. Arthur. 1,134 words.
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4629
An interesting insight into the relationship between master and servant, or man and money, I suppose. I'm not quite sure how topical you think it is, but it's offered nonetheless.
audio: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/coffeebreak005_haventchange_sr.mp3
6:55.
seanrandall

Post by seanrandall »

The means of Enjoyment, by T. S. Arthur.
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4616
I wonder what I'll try to collect in my retirement. Librivox recordings, I hope!
audio: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/coffeebreak005_meansofenjoyment_sr.mp3
10:21.
timcasey.tim

Post by timcasey.tim »

I have uploaded "The Brouge" by Saki

text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/269

audio: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/coffeebreak005_brouge_tc.mp3

runtime: 11:16

Saki 1870 - 1916