COMPLETE[FICTION] War and Peace XII, by Leo Tolstoy - ry

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
raynr

Post by raynr »

This project is complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/war-and-peace-book-12-by-leo-tolstoy/

Leo Tolstoy - War and Peace XII - translated by Aylmer and Louise Maude

War and Peace is a book about the Russian Society and the Napoleon Wars. It is divided in 15 books. This is a long time project and this is the twelfth book. The others will follow. The single chapters are usually short (about 4-10 pages), which is about 10 minutes recording time.

Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: 01 July 2009, but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Please note that if we haven't heard from you for two months, your section(s) will automatically be re-opened for other readers. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2600 (whole book)
    or only the relevant part of the book here: Book Twelve of "War and Peace"
    I recommend you choose the latter one, as readers got confused more than once and read chapters from the wrong book...
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

(BC admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:

At the Beginning of the first Chapter say
    • "War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy translated by Aylmer and Louise Maude, Book 12. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, Book 12, chapter 1"
    At the Beginning of all other Chapters (2-34) use the abbreviated "librivox disclaimer"
    • "War and Peace, Book 12, Chapter ##, read for librivox.org"
    • If you wish, add:
      "by [your name]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Chapter ##"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of War and Peace, Book Twelve, by Leo Tolstoy."
    • If you used the abbreviated disclaimer, say (in addition):
      "This recording is in the public domain."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    war_and_peace_12_##_tolstoy.mp3
    (all lower-case) where ## is your section number.

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: Chapter ##
    Artist: Leo Tolstoy
    Album: War and Peace - Book 12

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ry - raynr
    • If this is more comfortable, you can still use my uploader located here (however, the librivox uploader is preferred): http://librivox.prolegomena.org/
      You need a password to upload the files. The password is public
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
  • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
  • the file size of your .mp3 file.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)

Advice on pronunciations:
ChipDoc wrote:Here's a trick I've used to deal with unfamiliar pronounciations: Say it in whatever way seems best to you, but say it WITH AUTHORITY. If you sound like you know what you're talking about, most folks will believe you. Even if you're dead wrong, most folks who know "the right way" to pronounce a word will pause and consider if possibly YOU are right if you speak the word with easy conviction.
Nevertheless, if you want advice, please feel free to ask. I can help with German and Russian (a little bit) pronunciation.
Last edited by raynr on November 4th, 2009, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
raynr

Post by raynr »

I'll move the project to readers wanted now....
emilyrical

Post by emilyrical »

Hello! I am a Newbie! But I'd really like to read for this project (War and Peace, Book XII - I assume this is known, but the guidelines said to state important stuff in the body, so hey, can't hurt). :D

As far as I can see, none of the chapters have been claimed, so I guess I'll start with section 01. :shock: 8-)

(I've been a listener for quite a while but haven't dived in yet, so I'm excited to be plunging on in!)

Thanks,
Emily
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello Emily,

welcome to LibriVox and thanks for volunteering! I marked you down for section 1 and I hope you all have fun with recording.
To make sure that you understand how it all works around here, I can give you the tip to carefully read the first post. But you obviously already have down this. :D And make sure that you read from the right book of "War and Peace" - in the Gutenberg text it's a little bit confusing, as all books are in the same text file.
Furthermore, here are some tips for new volunteers. It explains how to record and all the other processes here
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording
However, if you have any more questions, just ask.
Just one more question from my side: how you want to appear in the catalogue? This can be either your forum name, a pseudonym or your real name (just as you like it).

Greetings, :D
Rainer
emilyrical

Post by emilyrical »

Hello, Rainer! Thanks for your reply. :) Can't wait to get started. I'm still learning about Audacity, so I'll start as soon as I'm confident about that stuff.

I usually use the moniker "anomaly," so I'd like to go with that unless it's already taken.

I also have a question about pronunciation of names - I've talked to a Russian friend about how to pronounce them, also the Maudes included a guide in the front of their translation (you can find this in Googlebooks!), but they're not the same as what most of the readers have been doing - is it ok to be different?

Thanks, Emily
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello Emily,
thanks for your quick reply. I marked your catalogue name down in our database, you are the first one to take this name.
And yes, it's ok to pronounce the names correctly :D. Generally it's difficult to get a consistent pronunciation for foreign names. But: variety is the spice of life and if you listen to some of the books here you will see that its perfectly fine and even charming if different volunteers read the names differently. And if you have the possibility to get informed about the true pronunciation of these names: that's wonderful. So please, read the names the way you think it's best. And if you have any difficulties with Audacity, just ask. :D

Greetings,
Rainer
EVH

Post by EVH »

Hi, I just found book 12, can I please have 14,15,and 16?
Éva
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello Éva,
welcome back! What would "War and Peace" be without you?
Sections 14, 15 and 16 are yours.
Thank you! :D

Rainer
donjya

Post by donjya »

Hello. Was wanting to pick up chapters 10, 11 and 12. Thanks.
Name for log is D. Keenan if still available. Thanks.
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello donjya,

welcome to LibriVox! Sections 10-12 are yours. Thank you for volunteering!
You probably saw my previous welcome to a new reader some posts ago, but in any case I'll repeat the imporant topics. In the first post you can read how it all works around here, and the specifics for the recording of a chapters of this book. And some general tips for new volunteers can be found here:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording
I marked you catalogue name down in our database, and I hope you have fun with recording! :D

Greetings,
Rainer
iwyllpa

Post by iwyllpa »

Hello everyone!
I love the OpenSource ideal and I love books, so I was overjoyed to happen upon LibriVox. I am new to this site but certainly not new to message boards. I also work in a (not very large) radio station as an announcer so I have some basic training in the use of a microphone and even some experience with audio editing. What's more, I also have access to some recording studios at work that don't get used much, so I can record on quality mics. Oh, and for what it's worth I'm a native English speaker (from the Northwestern United States) so I don't really have much of an accent but I might need a bit of help with some of the names in this book. (I think I might try to listen to some of the other pieces of this book and see how others have pronounced the names.)
OK, enough about me for now :D I would like to claim sections 2, 3, and 4 (and yes, I do fight for the Oxford Comma! :P) of this 12th book of the famous (or perhaps infamous :P) War and Peace. I have read over this thread and it looks like you have a lot of helpful information here so I should be able to get up and going quickly. :mrgreen:

Oh! as for what name I'd like to go by, I'd like M.White if it is available.
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello iwyllpa,

welcome to LibriVox and thanks for telling something about you! :D
You obviously already read everything important about recording and about how all works around here. Therefore you can just start - chapters 4-6 are yours. But if you have any more questions, just ask! As for pronounciations: just look at the tip at the bottom of the first post. But if you need help, I'm more than willing to give it to you.
I marked your catalogue name down in our database, therefore you don't have to repeat it again in your (hopefully many) future recordings.

Thanks for volunteering,

Rainer
iwyllpa

Post by iwyllpa »

I trust you meant chapters 2-4, not 4-6 (though perhaps I'll eventually get to those, as well :D) In looking over the Project Gutenberg text, I noticed that a French messenger in chapter 3 brings in a few French phrases that are given an English translation in a glossary of sorts. Should I read the French phrases and then say the English? Something like "This messenger was Michaud, a Frenchman who did not know
Russian, but who was quoique etranger, russe de coeur et d'ame,* (or Though a foreigner, Russian in heart and soul) as he
said of himself." If I should try to speak the French phrases, I'm going to need a basic pronunciation guide for French because although I've heard it spoken (since I live relatively near the Canadian boarder and I have traveled there) I still do not know French.

I will try to record a one minute audio sample and perhaps even chapter 2 sometime very soon so that I can make sure I'm doing things correctly. Thanks for getting me set up, and with luck you'll be hearing from me again soon!
raynr

Post by raynr »

Your trust is well founded - I meant chapters 2-4, but I would be very happy if you recorded some more chapters, too. :D
And I think your plan about recording the English translations of the French phrases is perfect - just read the translation after the original phrase. By the way: Your pronounciation doesn't need to be perfect. I'm sorry that I will not be able to help you with the French phrases, but if you just drop a short request in the "Need Help? Got Advice?" forum, you will usually get help within a few hours.
iwyllpa

Post by iwyllpa »

I have recorded Chapter 2 and it can be found here: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ry/war_and_peace_12_02_tolstoy.mp3

Also, I have posted in the help section for assistance in French pronunciation for chapter 3. Please PL and generally let me know what you think - feel free to correct or advise me since this is after all my first full chapter recording :D

EDIT: Oh, I forget to add, the .mp3 is 5:52 long (including 5 seconds of silence at the end) and 5.4MB