Charlotte Mason...

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

CrystalLaws wrote: June 14th, 2022, 9:44 am I joined librivox so I can see how can help the rest of the CM Volumes get recorded! I'm in a CM group reading through the series and we just noticed we're running out of librivox recordings! Anyone still up for doing the rest of Volume 4, Vol. 5, & Vol. 6? I want to help with reading but I'm new so don't know anything about how all this works yet. Anyone willing to start a collaborative project for this? Thanks!
I'd be willing to BC to get some of these recorded, but I'd need a list of text sources that can be used for LV.
Emotions by James McCosh 91% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse Bible commentary by Christina Rossetti
Family Prayers 79%
Ecclesiastical History
Pascal
American State Trials
DPL
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Volume 4 Part 2: ?
Volume 5: ?
Volume 6: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015024876990
Family Prayers 79%
Ecclesiastical History
Pascal
American State Trials
DPL
CrystalLaws

Post by CrystalLaws »

Yeah, my husband and I are having a hard time finding the texts for Part 2 of Vol. 4 and for Vol. 5. We did find a few options for Vol. 6.
I'm assuming we can't use the pink books since no one has linked to these already?
https://archive.org/details/formationofchara00mas_soy
CrystalLaws

Post by CrystalLaws »

Do you know what are the requirements for a text that librivox uses? (I own hard copies of the whole series.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

CrystalLaws wrote: June 15th, 2022, 7:55 am Do you know what are the requirements for a text that librivox uses? (I own hard copies of the whole series.)
A scan of the text, published more than 95 years ago (the one you linked to was published in 1989, so it wouldn't work), or
The text on gutenberg.org (they do diligent copyright clearance searches)

If you have a hard copy from 1926 or earlier, you could use it in a solo project, which would be a huge undertaking! Or if you're really keen, you could take scans/photos of all the pages, make them into a PDF document, and upload them to archive.org to share with the world.

Our text policy is one of the pinned threads in this forum. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72912

[Edit to fix year; I'm still living in 2021, apparently]
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

InTheDesert wrote: June 14th, 2022, 8:00 pm Volume 4 Part 2: ?
Volume 5: ?
Volume 6: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015024876990
This link for volume 6 would certainly work. I would also be interested in helping with this. I will gladly MC for you if you want to launch volume 6. If you decide not to, I will probably do it myself sooner or later. I'm tempted to volunteer myself as DPL as well, but as long as this book is, I'm afraid I would become overwhelmed quickly and fall behind.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Here's an interesting one. I don't know much about her books, so maybe she published this elsewhere under a different title. But it looks like this one is a collection of lectures she gave.

https://archive.org/details/cu31924031757283/
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mightyfelix wrote: June 15th, 2022, 4:39 pm This link for volume 6 would certainly work. I would also be interested in helping with this. I will gladly MC for you if you want to launch volume 6. If you decide not to, I will probably do it myself sooner or later. I'm tempted to volunteer myself as DPL as well, but as long as this book is, I'm afraid I would become overwhelmed quickly and fall behind.
And we're off!

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=93266

I can DPL it.
Family Prayers 79%
Ecclesiastical History
Pascal
American State Trials
DPL
CrystalLaws

Post by CrystalLaws »

Yay, thanks! I'm looking forward to recording for librivox for the first time! My husband is going to help me figure everything out.

So I need to wait for the "Magic Window" before signing up for chapters I want to record? What is a normal amount of chapters for people to do? Or maybe normal for newbies?
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

CrystalLaws wrote: June 15th, 2022, 7:45 pm Yay, thanks! I'm looking forward to recording for librivox for the first time! My husband is going to help me figure everything out.

So I need to wait for the "Magic Window" before signing up for chapters I want to record? What is a normal amount of chapters for people to do? Or maybe normal for newbies?
Yep, I'll need a little while to arrange the Magic Window (dividing the chapters) once Devorah has set it up for us.

The first step would be your 1 minute test recording. It's not really a test, more like a technical specs check to make sure you can produce mp3s that fit the Librivox technical standards. You can find all the info you need here. There is a video tutorial on the test recording here here and some more detailed instructional videos here. You might also want to try this tool to check your own technical specs so that you can pass the test recording on your first try. The most common issue is with overall volume and the easiest fix is to use the Audacity 'Loudness Normalization' effect set to -19 LUFS. Post your recording in this forum and once someone replies to your thread to give it an OK, you can post in the Home Education thread saying you're ready to record and you can select some sections (maybe a couple at a time - but there's no limit on how many you can take for the whole project).
Family Prayers 79%
Ecclesiastical History
Pascal
American State Trials
DPL
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

CrystalLaws wrote: June 15th, 2022, 7:45 pm So I need to wait for the "Magic Window" before signing up for chapters I want to record? What is a normal amount of chapters for people to do? Or maybe normal for newbies?
Magic Window is ready for readers.
Family Prayers 79%
Ecclesiastical History
Pascal
American State Trials
DPL
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Nice find! Maybe it needs to be downloaded and uploaded to archive (like many google books scans are) so that it's not region locked (despite being PD everywhere).
Family Prayers 79%
Ecclesiastical History
Pascal
American State Trials
DPL
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mightyfelix wrote: September 9th, 2022, 7:46 pm Great idea! You mean like this?

https://archive.org/details/some-studies-in-the-formation-of-charact/
Precisely like that!
Family Prayers 79%
Ecclesiastical History
Pascal
American State Trials
DPL