Suggest a "Staff Pick" for archive.org

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The staff has picked for this month. Please have a look at this page for the current pickings. You can also check out our wiki page for a plain vanilla list that contains all the staff picks for this year (and previous ones as well) plus the readers.

November 19th is Men's Day, so let's hear it for
Menkind

I'm grateful for suggestions involving boys and men and their occupations like astronauts, farmers, detectives, writers, fathers... or other achievements.

Especially welcome are suggestions of plays and poetry!
And, as always: All languages welcome!

Suggest away! :thumbs:

And please give me a plot summary (with spoilers) or a reason why you picked that specific book. It makes creating the writeup so much easier, especially if the catalog description is very brief. Thanks! :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

Hi Ava!

For one of November’s featured books, I recommend My Father As I Recall Him by Mamie Dickens.

Audiobook link: https://librivox.org/my-father-as-i-recall-him-by-mamie-dickens/

You asked for book suggestions involving male writers, and well… Charles Dickens is a great example. 8-)
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Great find, thank you Daria! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hier ist ein Buch, das ich vor langer Zeit DPLed habe, es ist zwar kein besonders positiver Text, hat mich aber sehr geprägt. Es handelt um einen Sohn der unter seinem Übervater leidet, und ihm nie gerecht werden kann, und daher oft falsche Entscheidungen trifft. Das ganz eskaliert natürlich irgendwann, aber es gibt einen Hoffnungsschimmer am Ende für den Sohn.

https://librivox.org/nicht-der-moerder-der-ermordete-ist-schuldig-by-franz-werfel/

Oder sollen die Männer nur positiv erwähnt werden ? Dann ist dieses Buch nichts :lol: Na ja, der Sohn, auch ein Mann, verändert sein Leben zum Guten und löst sich vom Vater. Der Vater glaube ich wurde nicht geläutert wenn ich das richtig in Erinnerung habe. Ist also auch eine Generationsstudie.

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh no, "negative" books are just as good. They tend to make you think more than the happy ending stuff imo. :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: October 13th, 2023, 2:43 am Oh no, "negative" books are just as good. They tend to make you think more than the happy ending stuff imo. :thumbs:
oops, should have written in English, sorry :lol:

Sonia
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

For November I suggest https://librivox.org/stingaree-by-e-w-hornung/ in the fiction section. Afterall, a disgraced member of the lesser English nobility who took to life as an honourable Australian bushranger who loved good music and never killed anyone throughout all his exploits has got be a prime example of manhood.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

:lol: :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The staff has picked for this month, thank you for your suggestions! Please have a look at this page for the current pickings. You can also check out our wiki page for a plain vanilla list that contains all the staff picks for this year (and previous ones as well) plus the readers.

December. Christmas. Hanukkah. What else? Let's celebrate!
Celebrations!

I'm grateful for suggestions involving all kinds of celebrations, Christmas of course, but what else is there to celebrate when it's dark and cold outside? Be creative! ;-)

Especially welcome are suggestions of plays and poetry!
And, as always: All languages welcome!

Suggest away! :thumbs:

And please give me a plot summary (with spoilers) or a reason why you picked that specific book. It makes creating the writeup so much easier, especially if the catalog description is very brief. Thanks! :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

How about The story of Santa Klaus, by William S. Walsh ? viewtopic.php?t=98855&hilit=Santa+klaus

It is a look at Christmas and how the tradition of Santa Claus sprang up. It was just catalogued a couple of months ago, so it hasn’t been used before 8-)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Always good to have something brand new, thank you! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com