Just stepping in

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
ahab

Post by ahab »

Hi -- I'm an online editor from the Washington, D.C. area, just joining the group. I read about this project in a recent edition of Information Today, and it sounded like something I wanted to be involved in. I love listening to audiobooks, and have always wanted to help record them, so I look forward to making a contribution here.

As soon as I get set up and tested . . . War and Peace, here I come!

Stewart
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Welcome to LibriVox, Stewart!

I'm sure that raynr will be really happy to have a fresh voice for War and Peace - big projects like this really need a few dedicated readers. You might consider reading some of the short works to get started; we have a Weekly Poetry selection which Annie picked out just for Valentine's Day. Not only is it beautiful, but it's only a minute long so you can get used to the mechanics of reading for LibriVox more easily than with a longer work.

Washington is beautiful in the snow - until you have to drive in it!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
vee

Post by vee »

Wow, you're definitely ambitious! War and Peace just opened up.

Welcome aboard ahab, glad to have the extra hands. Hope you're enjoying the snow too. Hopkins is covered in a beautiful sheen right now.

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello ahab,

welcome to LibroVox (by the way, is Moby Dick in the public domain?).
War and Peace is a huge project, but it is split up in small chunks, therefore you can really consider to start at Librivox with recording a chapter of this book. This project started yesterday, so you have a free choice of the chapters. But feel free to choose anything you want, and if you have any questions: you will always find help from our Librivox volunteers.

Rainer
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
Bronwyn Kate

Post by Bronwyn Kate »

I do think MOBY DICK is in the public domain.

It lives on my computer but I have never stooped to read it.

Ahab, I'm sure you'll make a big splash on the project.
temac

Post by temac »

raynr wrote:(by the way, is Moby Dick in the public domain?)
Since Herman Melville died in 1891, there's no doubt that Moby Dick is in the public domain. There are no less than three copies on the Gutenberg website. Here's one: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15. They also show a computer-generated audio version.

Hope this answers your question... :)
Bronwyn Kate

Post by Bronwyn Kate »

Confession time:

I don't really like computer generated audiobooks.

I prefer them to have the human touch!

Unfortunately, the file for MOBY DICK, Gutenberg thinks it cannot be found. Weird! :oops: :?
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Bronwyn Kate wrote: Unfortunately, the file for MOBY DICK, Gutenberg thinks it cannot be found. Weird! :oops: :?
oh, looks like there is an extra period at the end of that url.... just take off that extra period and try it again... or search for Moby Dick in the Title search box =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Welcome!

On the Moby Dick note.... My husband and I read that aloud to each other over the course of, oh, about a year. A lot of it was neat and well-written, but it also *really* required breaks with other things. (For us, anyway.)

There was more detail than I ever really wanted about the use that all the different bits of the whale get put to.

-Catharine