Most popular public domain works in LV?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

I'm curious to know what short (or long) work has the most number of Librivox versions? Is there a way to find this out?

A quick database query (requiring admin effort) could probably generate a sorted list of titles. But anecdotal opinion is probably good enough.

For example, searching the LV catalog shows that the Tell-tale Heart is quite popular with 34 versions. (Still, I'm tempted to perform version #35.)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There is no provision for anyone including admins to find out in any way not available to all members. We try to label 2nd and later versions of projects mainly so that they can be identified if changes need to be made. But not parts of collections
Just from my impressions Tell Tale Heart is a popular read for collections, A Christmas Carol by Dickens is a very popular reading and the books that were popular when the readers were children like the Hardy Boys and the Wizard of OZ books and Anne are popular recordings.

Anne
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

annise wrote: April 27th, 2024, 8:24 pm There is no provision for anyone including admins to find out in any way not available to all members.
Sorry, I should have said "requiring server root access" or "requiring direct database access". It's technologically possible, but I think/guess only a select few have permission or access. I'm not adept at SQL/etc but I'm sure there is a query that, if fed to the database by one with permission and access, would reveal whatever we want to know.

Alas, such activities fall far outside the shade of the LibriVox fruit-tree.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

For longer works (not single-section pieces), my memory is that the current winner is A Christmas Carol.
Emotions by James McCosh 91% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse Bible commentary by Christina Rossetti
Family Prayers 77%
Ecclesiastical History
Pascal
American State Trials
Orations
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I thought I had done a staff picks list dedicated to this, but I can't find it at the moment.

If you use as a measure "most different language versions", Jules Verne comes out on top; I believe it's the "in 80 days around the world".
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

but that's author not project :D . The Bible may win if you counted versions, translation and languages, and if you counted individual poems (in collections and poetry volumes and weekly and fortnightly poems .............
And all of them public domain in the USA :D

Anne
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Poe is indeed very popular, most of his works and poems have multiple versions in the catalogue, in multiple languages. I think, the most popular is the Raven, with at least 60 versions. Other popular works include: Annabel Lee, The Black Cat, The Cask of Amontillado, The masque of the red death, The tell-tale heart, etc.!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Availle wrote: April 27th, 2024, 9:43 pm I thought I had done a staff picks list dedicated to this, but I can't find it at the moment.

I think you are referring to this one? https://librivox.org/2020/08/01/happy-15th-anniversary/

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Staff_Picks_2020#August_2020:_Happy_15th_Anniversary!