[Grp]The Reader's Digest Vol 1. Iss 2. - icequeen

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
ej400

Post by ej400 »

The Reader's Digest, Volume 1, Issue 2, by Various
Thirty-one articles each month from leading magazines - Each article of enduring value and interest, in condensed and compact form.
A most convenient means of “keeping one’s information account open” —of reading stimulating articles on a wide variety of subjects. (Summary by From the title / front page)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/sim_readers-digest_1922-03_1_2

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: 2B9Way4b
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reader's_Digest
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 31
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1922
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Literary Collections/Short non-fiction

Keywords that describe the book: magazines, newspaper, articles, reader's digest, short non-fiction

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Reader's Digest, Volume 1, Issue 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Reader's Digest, Volume 1, Issue 2, by Various."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: readersdigestv1n2_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. readersdigestv1n2_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by ej400 on March 19th, 2024, 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

With volume one being nearly complete, here is Volume 2.

I will DPL :thumbs:
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Do you permit early claims? If so, I would like "The Truth About Vivisection", looks like it should be section 8. Otherwise, I will wait.

Thanks,

M
ej400

Post by ej400 »

mleigh wrote: March 17th, 2024, 9:39 am Do you permit early claims? If so, I would like "The Truth About Vivisection", looks like it should be section 8. Otherwise, I will wait.

Thanks,

M
I'll reserve this one for you, M!

Thank you! :D
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you, Elijah! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready! I changed the file name so that it matches the other project.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hi, Elijah!
Could I put in an early claim for:

Scientific Progress of the Year 1921 and
Music---How It Affects Your Health
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
ej400

Post by ej400 »

icequeen wrote: March 17th, 2024, 3:12 pm OK, your MW is ready! I changed the file name so that it matches the other project.
Thank you! I will fill it in shortly
ej400

Post by ej400 »

silverquill wrote: March 17th, 2024, 4:10 pm Hi, Elijah!
Could I put in an early claim for:

Scientific Progress of the Year 1921 and
Music---How It Affects Your Health
I will reserve this for you, thank you Larry!
msfry

Post by msfry »

What a great project! I only discovered it when I saw Issue #1 on the Cover Claims Board (and claimed it)! I'd like to claim "Throwing Away Our Birthright", and "Human Nature and Industrial Conflict" on this issue. This is so exciting to see this collection being recorded by Librivox.

Like many kids in the 50's and beyond, I grew up watching my parents read every issue cover to cover, saving them on a special shelf, and looking forward to them myself, especially Word Power, Humor in Uniform, My Most Unforgettable Character, etc.
Bill Mosley

Post by Bill Mosley »

When you finally get it together enough to make assignments, I'd like to do

Charlie Chaplin's

What Makes People Laugh

Thank you.
Bill

How did it get so late so soon?
It’s night before it’s afternoon.
December is here before it’s June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?
~Dr. Seuss
ej400

Post by ej400 »

msfry wrote: March 18th, 2024, 10:36 am What a great project! I only discovered it when I saw Issue #1 on the Cover Claims Board (and claimed it)! I'd like to claim "Throwing Away Our Birthright", and "Human Nature and Industrial Conflict" on this issue. This is so exciting to see this collection being recorded by Librivox.

Like many kids in the 50's and beyond, I grew up watching my parents read every issue cover to cover, saving them on a special shelf, and looking forward to them myself, especially Word Power, Humor in Uniform, My Most Unforgettable Character, etc.
I agree! I'll put you down for that one once I get the MW loaded :thumbs:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Bill Mosley wrote: March 18th, 2024, 12:56 pm When you finally get it together enough to make assignments, I'd like to do

Charlie Chaplin's

What Makes People Laugh

Thank you.
Excellent! Thank you, Bill!
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi Elijah,

May I claim - What Women Should Marry?

Thanks,
Stacey
ej400

Post by ej400 »