HISTORIC DOUBTS RELATIVE TO NAPOLEON, 1819 by Richard Whately

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I thought someone might have a good time with this short book. He's writing about Napoleon in the style that very sceptical Gospel critics of his time would write about the New Testament.

From Wikisource: "Written in 1819, while Napoleon Bonaparte was still alive, this piece of satire suggests that his existence is simply a hoax, based on muddled legends, contradictory accounts of battles, and a habit of assuming every shadowy figure in the distance with a distinctive hat must be the Emperor."
From Wikipedia: "a jeu d'ésprit directed against excessive scepticism as applied to the Gospel history"

https://archive.org/details/historicdoubtsr00what/page/n3/mode/2up
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This looks delightful. It is quite short, which would make it ideal for a first-time soloist, except that there are very few "built-in" section breaks. So the BC/soloist would need to find at least two or three spots to break it into sections. With a solo, this is easy to do as you go along. For a group reading, it would need to be decided in advance.

I saw at least two footnotes giving Greek quotations, but of course, footnotes are optional. I didn't see any other tricky foreign-language bits. I was expecting some French, actually.

I hope someone does decide to take this on. I'm not able to just now, and I don't see the opportunity opening up to me anytime soon.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Suggested by a listener:
Hello,
Is there any interest in doing Richard Whately's HISTORIC DOUBTS RELATIVE TO NAPOLEON, 1819? I might mention that it went into 14 editions in Whately's lifetime, and is an entertaining satire on David Hume's sceptical critique of religion.
Good wishes,
David
Jo
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I merged the two threads together. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart