[Group] The English Lakes, by William T. Palmer - rap

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
ej400

Post by ej400 »

The English Lakes, by William T. Palmer (1877 - 1954)

Volunteers outside the USA: William T. Palmer died in 1954. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
An exhaustive and illustrative book explaining the locations as well as descriptions of the lakes of England. Almost like reading a journey, the author takes you through a journey around England, giving depictions of the general western hemisphere and the lakes around. (Summary by Elijah)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/57664

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography
Keywords that describe the book: exploration, england, geography, navigation, lakes, english lakes
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of The English Lakes. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The English Lakes, by William T. Palmer. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The English Lakes, by William T. Palmer."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: englishlakes_##_palmer_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. englishlakes_01_palmer_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by ej400 on February 26th, 2024, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I'll DPL this. This is a new author; I think if I remember requesting a while ago about having him added into the system (noting this only trying to help MC life if I can) :thumbs:

Thanks
Elijah
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

This seems like a most interesting book but reading your summary I'm confused by what you mean with eastern hemisphere :?: The book deals with the lakes in Lake District which is in the western hemisphere.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 26th, 2024, 6:25 am This seems like a most interesting book but reading your summary I'm confused by what you mean with eastern hemisphere :?: The book deals with the lakes in Lake District which is on the western hemisphere.
Whoops! I've corrected that in the summary, thank you for catching that :thumbs:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Still I don't think it's accurate to use the phrase "general Western hemisphere" but I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Maybe replace it with "Lake District" or "general Lake District area" instead? The book isn't about the lakes of England in general, but specifically about the Lake District, which is just a part of England. Anyway, I'll set you up with a Magic Window and since you are DPLing, you'll have a better idea of the book contents by the end and you can rephrase the summary then if needed :D
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I can correct a summary closer to when we've finished. I generally read the first few paragraphs of a book I BC (just not in this case), but I'll usually pull the gutenberg tags to help write a short summary, or take a part of the preface etc. so I'm a bit unfamiliar with the book. I'll work on creating better summaries for future then :thumbs:

Thank you for MCing this! :D
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Magic Window is in place! :clap:
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Elijah
As a resident of England and frequent visitor to the "Lake District" (also known as "The English Lakes") I can confirm what Rapunzelina says that this book is about a specific quite isolated area in North West England (but south of the border with Scotland) which is know as "The Lake District". It is within the modern day county of Cumbria but at the time this book was written would have been the two older counties of Cumberland and Westmoreland.
It is probably best known to many people as the home of the poet William Wordsworth who lived most of his life in the area and wrote about it extensively.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

ej400 wrote: February 26th, 2024, 7:02 am I'll usually pull the gutenberg tags to help write a short summary,
Oh, I see now that you took it from gutenberg LoC class; maybe a bit misleading in this case. Central Europe? :lol: I guess it's a more general class.

Thank you for your insight, Alan! Lake District sounds wonderful and idyllic. I have yet to visit, but it's on my wish-list!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

alanmapstone wrote: February 26th, 2024, 8:38 am Hi Elijah
As a resident of England and frequent visitor to the "Lake District" (also known as "The English Lakes") I can confirm what Rapunzelina says that this book is about a specific quite isolated area in North West England (but south of the border with Scotland) which is know as "The Lake District". It is within the modern day county of Cumbria but at the time this book was written would have been the two older counties of Cumberland and Westmoreland.
It is probably best known to many people as the home of the poet William Wordsworth who lived most of his life in the area and wrote about it extensively.
Thank you for this Alan! :D
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Moved to Readers Wanted!
Owler

Post by Owler »

Ooo thank you for doing this book, lovely. Please could I read sections 6, 8, 14 and 17?
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Owler wrote: February 28th, 2024, 9:22 am Ooo thank you for doing this book, lovely. Please could I read sections 6, 8, 14 and 17?
Thank you!
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi Elijah,

May I claim chapter 15?

Thanks,
Stacey